Never enough time

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

spro

Re: Never enough time

Post by spro »

Well you are moving forward instead of backward. Great work in this weather, ole friend. I was moving backward when I agreed about Nigerian goats which were the ones I saw. Hey Nubian, close enough but that is straight enough now, that they are Nigerian Goats. Characters and I didn't even own or care for one but could see how attached they can become and setting order. Predators will often try to make eye contact, in order to set you up. Those goats try that and have something else going on. Like I said about a section, the big one could have eaten little baby fingers while eating the feed that her and other children held. They were very careful about that..and they looked with those goat eyes...for some feedback. They got it. Families loved them and they knew it. :)
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

dave i have in the past raised goats and find them a fine animal. by now your home from surgery 2 and on the road to better sight.
after my operations i noticed i saw a lot of uv light sources as my breain recalibrated it self. a local artest friend had a difficult time with colors and shadeing tints for quite a while.

good to see you getting healed up all good
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Just had a keyboard issue with the plug. Oh my. I laid out the new area for the Goat pen, and found a piece of 3 inch pipe about 3 + feet long. Now to weld a slug on one end to make a post driver for t-posts and round posts. I did in the mower deck with all the saplings. It is making a raucus noise, I think a bearing is gone on a blade shaft. Oh well. I will drop the deck tomorrow and see whats what. I will probably just change to the other deck, and do repairs on this one at leasure. When I massage a deck, I pull it apart, replace bearings, and fit zerks to the shaft towers, and remove the inside seals on the bearings. A shot of any kind of grease works it way along the shafts, and lubes the bearings for advanced life. It doesnt take that much effort. The last deck rotted away before the bearings failed. I have two tractors running 42 inch decks. but they are both down now, the one with a bad electric clutch to check out. My 60 inch wide mower for the diesel is still down with a gearbox to be fitted for the shaft drive. Always behind the eight ball.

we are engaged in a massive clean out and spruce up campaign, weeds and trees hiding all the collections of 'stuff' too free to save. so it is madness right now, as we turn pyro on dead wood, half rotten leavings, and building parts, to move things along. It is time to say farewell to a mountain of clutter and regain my sanity so I can advance.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Sounds good, Steamin, but I was hoping for a comment on the second eye surgery. How'd it go?

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

OK, it sux. th eft eye surgery went not so well and had a small bleed. everything wa pink for a coupla days,, not to mention blurry.The worst is low light, twilight conditions, as my unsteady walk becomes down right perilous. A recheck at the retinal cliinic awarded me another shot in the eybll in the right eye. the results are good, but that belies the foggy view while your eyes are dialated for some 30 hours or more, and the clarity is obscured with dissolving medicatioin. And of course the droops three times a day is not enjoyable either, so I endure in the hopes of being able to deive again at the end of treatmentss. The next milestone is August 4th, for another shot in the left eye to bring that retina down in line and help with visual sharpness. So thats the news as I know it.

I am thakfull for my partner Rose who not only takes care of the scheduling of this mess, but holds my hand through the internal terror and helplessness I feel, and the foreberance of her workplace that allows her to work only one day a week during these trying times in my support. I am thankfull for the small favors, things could be much worse..
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

I attended a zoning board meeting for the Cats of St. Francis rescue, for a zoning variance to allow a change of use on a building in a nearby town. It became apparent that the zoning board was set against the change before the meeting, and only one member voted for the change, and the proposal went without second, so it is a still birth. The next council meeting will be met on the open forum, but without a positive reccomendation from zoning, the councilmen will not likelly approve the measure. The exoress purpose ofCats of St. Francis is to eliminate the ferral cat problem that eixists in most towns through education and limited veterenary care focused on spay, neuter and disease control. They ferral cat problem is a people problem, because of irresponsible owners tht allow free roaming cats to breed, and interact to the detriment of nature. cats are killers at heart, and are rough on the bird population wherever they are ignored. Cute little kitties quickly become a nusience when their numbers explade, and they become fully independant. so control begins with people, the hardest part of the equation.

The rescue we hold has been dissaproved by Illinois as we are not a 501 charitable organization, although approved by the federal DNR for non native animals. The fees alone and legal work will require an outlay of more than 2500 dollars, and that is not possible as there are no grants or support money from any agency. Thjis will require a move to less hostile ground or the elimination of Critter Corral. Org altogether. It will be a sad day to close the long standing rescue, now inits 18th year, but with Rose and I aging, it may be the best way to exit a winner...
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Well crap Big Dave,

Hope some time heals that all up for you. :(
And you can get back to a regular plan of attack!

Know about ferral cats. Have 'em all over in Nevada.
We have adopted some....they just wander in looking for food, about all were abandoned kittens. Take 'em to the vet & get 'em shots & fixed, once they become OK with bein' around us and we can do that without being shredded. ;)

We give 'em all handles. Welfare, Food Stamp, Deadbeat, Obamacare.....
....and of course the twins, Fang & Claw.
Attack Kittens.jpg
:)
Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Warm, you have my personal thanks for helping the little fur kids, as they struggle to survive as nature leads them. with a human home to solve the food problem, they are much easier on natures other children, and can be some awsome buddies with a little coaxing.

Myself, I have had cats since I was 5, and finally got a dog when I was 35. I am a big dog guy and always saved the unwanted ones. Two Red dobermans and 7 great Danes later, I now have two pure blooded Shetland Sheep dogs, since my physical condition argues against big dogs. They put up with 9 cats in the house, 3 being conditioned for adoption through St. Francis. Recently we lost Snow, a pure white barn cat, that moved into the house, and then moved out, because the dogs began hounding here. And Cali, a ten yr old female that likewise adopted us and moved in from outside. She died in her bed one night of old age just a week or so ago. Her ashes are now in good company with some other notable felines that we miss. Trucker, Pirate, Grace, scooter, to name a few. All typical mooching lover cats. we miss them all, and the past dogs they sllept with, and aggrevated at times.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Man, that's harsh Dave. I hate eye stuff, had difficulty even with drops before I got lasik a few years back, had to get over the drop phobia. My son got hit "just right" as a teenager and got a retinal detach. Not a congenital or structural problem they said, just bad luck. Anyway, at around 16 he had to have an emergency Scleral Buckle (band around the eye inside the socket to pressurize eye to re-seat retina). He was awake in an office after hours with nothing but a mild local, and took it like a champ without any fuss. Doctor actually mentioned his fortitude more than once. Daddy however was having a hard time on so many fronts (the eye work, and MY son!) and not doing so well, but managed to not let him see that. I can clean (and even debride if needed) and then tape up gashes and injuries on myself that really need stitches without much thought and mop up the blood trail. But that nearly killed me. Bad as I hate anything around my eyes, I wish I could have got in that chair for him even though it made me a big queasy thinking about it. I can only just imagine what it's like having a needle stuck in my eye once, not to mention again.

Hoping for the best, get better soon...
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Heh. We tend to fix things ourselves around here, but this aint it. I have reset sonnies jammed fingers, and a shoulder once. Just last week the Grandotter got what appeared to be a small wart. Shaving the top of it off proved it to be a festering thorn deep seated in her finger, and she took the razor blade surgery without a wimper. It closed and healed in just days after.

I was a first responder on our maintenace crew. ( ya, plug the leaks, get help). Not complex or satisfying. Not a country voodoo doctor either. But I have done some stitching of torn chickens and shredded dog skin on occasioin. Fly, our grey tomcat that runs with the dogs often stays out when the dogs are called in. ( He hears you , but takes a message and gets back to you.) He tangles with the foxes we have and raises the hair on your neck with his war cry. (They try to eat him) He lost a battle just last week and spent the night at the Vet with a puffy leg and two festering and lanced punctures on his right leg. He was not happy with the lock down for a few days, and had a definate attitude about going with the dogs as usual. He expressed his feelings by bullying about the house, pouty, like a child.

Sorry to go on about my animals, but their care is a major part of my daily routine right now, and inspires me to continue to functiion in limited ways . thanks for the notes. It is so depressing to be held back from what is needed for my soul to be happy.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

I had a checkup at the eye clinic, and everything seems to be going well, the right eye is 20-30 without glasses, left is at 20-40 with another shot to bring it in line next week. They are telling me good news, but I cannot see details yet without closing one eyw, as my binocular vision is still adjusting to the changes. They told me I can pass the eye exam for a drivers test without glasses right now. In a coupla days, I will try to renew my expired 4 year license, and see how that goes. If its a swing and a miss, I can retest at my l leisure, but I am straining for my independence in the travel department.

Mom Rose and I caused a happening at Pet Smart, where we took Ellie our blue eyed dwarf goat to be fitted for a walking harness.. So many people wanted to take phone pix with the cute baby. The Vet working is an old friend of Rose' and wanted to see the new charge just because. Back home Rose sat down under a shade tree and was enjoying a dunkin donut coffee with Ellie on a leash, when she popped up in her lap, and settled in like a cat for an extended time like a good lap cat. Between popping uff the barn walls and just jumping for pleasure, to this surprising act of friendship, I am ever amazed at the unexpected acts of these animals, and displayed personalities.
spro

Post by spro »

Big stuff Big Dave. It is looking very good. Going back to mower decks; there are other things happening when the deck is pulled to the highest level. Pulley to belt may be misaligned for it seems, some makes expect manicure instead of freaking hacking the tall stuff. The best way would be a small lift or really a platform with ramps, so the garden tractor could be a few feet up. Then you can see what is happening and how the deck drive can be tailored by idlers. Unfortunately, the first thing with a new belt, proper in every way, has to mate with the engine pulley. The newer (like 30 years) pulleys are pressed steel cheese. They have slipped belts so long, the angles are so wrong they don't recognize a new belt over any other bs which actually works. Of course things work if you apply enough tension but that wears innocent bearings etc. It does come to that root and not easy for it is part of the electric PTO driving the deck, sometimes.
So then what? Like I'm going tear out a working PTO when the grass is 3' tall, NO. A longer belt of appropriate type is fitted and idler or two is mounted on the deck to guide and also wrap further around where needed for max height.