On the subject of litigation

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

tburzio

Re: On the subject of litigation

Post by tburzio »

steamin10 wrote:Yep, but how do you balance that against the Thalidamide disaster?
Thalidamide was an approved drug in the countries where it was used, and was withdrawn when the side effects became apparent. I would have ruled "no liability", since the maker did not know of the dangers, as it was thought the drug could not cross the placental barrier. Thalidamide was never licensed to be sold in the United States, and any drugs used were obtained illegally.

By the way, thalidamide is still being experimented with, and is currently approved for sale by the FDA for some diseases.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thalidomide
ML

Post by ML »

Who do we sue when we cut ourselves removing the safety labels on a sharp knife? Will we get "pre-digested" food so we don't need the knife? Great, how do we get the package open?

So if some (more?) of these cases were tossed out, would the lawyers make fewer cases? But then it would have to be the judge to through them out. But wait, aren't most judges lawyers?

We keep doing the same thing and expecting different results? Where is Spock when we need him?

Next life I think I want to be a spoiled lap dog...

Michael
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
Flybynight

Post by Flybynight »

steamin10 wrote:Another tired trucker with automatic driving skills? Sad but the human brain can get the autopilot going and ignore new input.

Lawyers always head for the Easy and deep pockets. Thats how they get payed.
One thing that has never been answered.
"Was the driver legal or a illegal?

By the way I am less that 50 miles from where that happened as of now.
Armed Men are Citizens, Unarmed men are Subjects.