home heating oil tank move

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

f350ca

Re: home heating oil tank move

Post by f350ca »

A bit of pressure may indicate how solid your 30 year old tank is.
Greg
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

stevec wrote:Steve, looks like you're pretty firmly entrenched in moving that 30 yr. old leak just waiting to happen.
My guess is the move should trigger it. :(
No, actually, we're getting quotes on a new tank. I think it will be money well spent when you look at everything that can go wrong.

Steve
stevec

Post by stevec »

Ah, good, I'll sleep better tonight :wink: .
Steve_in_Mich

Post by Steve_in_Mich »

I wouldn't apply a vacuum to one of these tanks, it's not designed to handle it.

My first thought was maybe 3 hydraulic car jacks. Two to support a cradle under one end and the third to make the tail end portable but after considering the age of the tank I think the NEW tank option is a good choice.

The tank in this picture was 25 years old according to the previous owner. It had a half dozen gasketted sheetmetal screws in the bottom when I got from him to convert to a burn drum (thus the door cutout I added in the end).

Just because you don’t believe it - doesn’t mean it’s not so.
dirtcrasher1

Post by dirtcrasher1 »

I'd thread "T's" on the pipe legs, insert a smaller pipe (the T's act like a bearing) and roll it on additional pipes.

All you need are the few materials and a bottle jack/wood.

I won't be junking my tank unless I see it weeping.....
thomas harris

Post by thomas harris »

You do not want a tank of oil in your basement. I now must tell a true story which happened in my hometown. Two adresses. Very similar. A large fuel oil order. A filler outside which was connected to the leftover pipe from a tank removal in the basement. You guessed it. They pumped a hundred gallons or so into the basement. I don't know exactly where the law suit went on it, but I can only imagine the mess, hazard and smell. Always cap off stubbed piping. Always.
atlas 618,MM challenger wire welder, 4x6 cheapo bandsaw, assorted junk, spears for hunting mastadons.
stevec

Post by stevec »

Actually, if you were to remove your oil tank from the basement and leave the filler pipe out in the open you are an IDIOT! Plain and simple.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Yep, same situation, in my Home town. Fuel delivered to the wrong house, old fill pipe, gas heat for years. Murphy was an optimist. Dont remember the details, just the people moved after the incident, they had been there some years. They couldnt get rid of the smell.

There was an uproar about the spilled fuel going out of the floor drain into the storm sewer, that entered a waterway untreated. Icch! A big deal for goment to trumpet on, yet nothing was really done. If I remember, they put dye bombs down a lot of house gutter drains, and handed out fines for those connecting rain drains, to sewer lines, illegal for many years. So how they arrived at that course of action is a mystery to me. No Home heating delivery company was charged that I know of.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

thomas harris wrote: Always cap off stubbed piping. Always.
I'm planning on completely removing the filler and vent pipes and plugging the holes. Absolutely ZERO chance of THAT mistake happening.

My delivery man had a similar story (another oil company) where 1000 gallons was delivered instead of 500 and it ended up in a dirt crawl space. Not sure why the vent alarm didn't work.

They had to crawl in the space under the house, dig out the dirt and send it out to be incinerated.

Steve
ken572

Post by ken572 »

Steve,

I ran across this ad you might want to check out.

http://www.heartlandamerica.com/browse/ ... 0&DL=CWH28

Ken.
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

ken572 wrote:I ran across this ad you might want to check out...
That one pumps at 1.5 gpm, and I'll be pumping while the plumbers are here (and on the clock). I have 150 gallons.

Here's what I picked up:
http://www.harborfreight.com/barrel-pump-45743.html

At 15gmp, it will be more like 10 minutes (probably 15-20, considering I'll probably get tired).

I need to extend it so that it will reach near the bottom of the tank (keeping it off the bottom to avoid transferring sludge).

Steve
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

SteveM wrote:Here's what I picked up:
That's the exact model I put a motor on. It works quite well. I think you'll be favorably impressed.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.