O.T. The machine shop just became the butcher shop

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

oscer

O.T. The machine shop just became the butcher shop

Post by oscer »

Hi fellas, I just thought I would share a really good time with you all, it's Pa. opening day of buck season and I was successful at about 2:00, not a monster or anything but a nice 6 point. Just got the hide off and some of the hunting gear gathered up also made a trip to the state store for a bottle of merlot. Cheers.
"...that they are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights,that among these are life,liberty and the pursuit of happiness." Thomas Jefferson
"When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." Ben Franklin
WJH

Re: O.T. The machine shop just became the butcher shop

Post by WJH »

Congrats! I have yet to bag a deer, last time I went was black powder season. Have done well with Duck and Goose however.
mcostello

Post by mcostello »

Had 5 deer in the front yard last night. I don't hunt them, they are too easy. We have more deer than muskrats, groundhogs, and rabbits. I hunt those. We have a quiet corner of the world for them, everyone else here hunts them. You think they are all gone at the end of hunting season, next spring will see 5-6 more. It's nothing to be inside a herd of 3-4 with fog on the ground, hearing a cough in front and behind, 10' visibility gets scary here in the morning.
oscer

Post by oscer »

Thanks for the congrats RB211, black powder must be a real challenge, I've only dabbled in it long enough to learn the basics and teach my son many years ago he is on his own now as I've forgotten much of what I learned.

mcostello, I totally under stand that position. I, however have an understanding with the wild life here, they can have at my property , small orchard and gardens all year round but come hunting season I reclaim a bit of the investment, plus the herd benefits from thinning and my neighbor who farms for a living wants me to shoot more than one.
Orville Deer 2012_01 RESIZED.JPG
Attachments
Orville Deer 2012_03 RESIZED.JPG
"...that they are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights,that among these are life,liberty and the pursuit of happiness." Thomas Jefferson
"When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." Ben Franklin
shootnride

Post by shootnride »

oscer wrote:Hi fellas, I just thought I would share a really good time with you all, it's Pa. opening day of buck season and I was successful at about 2:00, not a monster or anything but a nice 6 point. Just got the hide off and some of the hunting gear gathered up also made a trip to the state store for a bottle of merlot. Cheers.
SWEEEEEET ! Congratulations.

Almost forgot about that Pa. "State Liquor Store" thing. I was there in July and almost had a heart attack when I couldn't get a six pack in the grocery stores :shock: But all was well when I found the state store !

Ted
Some people raise the IQ of the room when they enter.........others when they leave.
spro

Post by spro »

Congrates and good meat! Tell me why deer through the windshield or taking out the fender is preferable. They're what they are. They are GIFTS to us as all other creatures. Every creature has its place. No wholesale slaughter but especially if a deer have been eating, feeding off you and your neighbors... bamby x4 already born and they Will end up as road kill.. Then what?
Shut down the freakin highway?
You clean shot and dressed and eat. Perfect.
duckman903

Post by duckman903 »

Helped a friend in NH last week he couldn't pull his deer out of the woods even on a sled it took the 2 of us, at the deer checking station weighed in at 195# dressed out, 8 pointer . Checking station said it was the 2nd largest that was brought in . (taste's good also)
oscer

Post by oscer »

shootnride, yea I'll bet Pa is like a time machine to someone from Ca.

spro, you said it buddy Pa shuts down for deer season. seriously I have 3 days paid holiday for opening of buck season. plus I took next week as vacation just in case :D

duckman, NH sounds like a great state :mrgreen:
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

I am not a hunter, but my son in law is. For Thanksgiving I prepared "Deer in salmi`" (if you do a search add -salami).
Marinated 1.25" cubes (aprox) overnight in Shiraz, carrots, onions, celery cut fine plus cloves, juniper berries, rosemary, thyme, garlic and any spices and erbs you like. Flowered and browned the meat then slow cooked 2hrs in the marinade.
Polenta to sop up the gravy, lubricated with Cabernet.

That is tha way is done in the Italian Alps, when you reach a refuge.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
RSG

Post by RSG »

Nice going Oscer, you should set up a slitter saw on you mill to trim out some steaks :roll: :lol:
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
pacrat

Post by pacrat »

Ummmm, venison.

Hey Dude, good going. BTW did you flip the negative or did somebody put the cheek piece and bolt on the wrong side of your rifle. :lol:

Ya know I'm kidd'n, right? :wink:
oscer

Post by oscer »

tornitore45, sounds rally good but after all these years, I just like to roll the little back strap steaks in flour and quickly sear on both side in a little olive oil and oh yeah, it doesn't get much better than that :D

RSG, I'm glad I was almost finished butchering when I read you post :lol: I used to wash out my wood cutting band saw, took a good half hour, then cut deer steaks for about 10 min, and another half hour to clean the meat out of it.

pacrat, good eye, I do have the curse of the south paw, I'm sure glad Remington makes a backwards version of the 700. Are you the same pacrat from the SB section of PM? I don't get over there as much as I used to.