Windows Vista with a headache. Any help?

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

Harold_V

Windows Vista with a headache. Any help?

Post by Harold_V »

Hey guys!
For what ever reason, my computer had some problems of unknown origin Sunday afternoon. After a reboot and scandisk, it appears I lost a file, so I can no longer access my email. A full scan with AVG indicates no infections. Running System Restore did no good. I get the message that "Windows mail can not be started because MSOE.DLL could not be initialized. A search of the Windows file indicates it most likely got deleted, as there is no such file in the folder. Scandisk did remove several errors, so I suspect the file was corrupted, and removed.

Am I nuts? Seems to me if I had a copy of the above mentioned file that I could insert it in the Windows file, much the same way I searched to find it was missing, and my email might work again. Thoughts?

Right now I'm planning to upgrade to Windows 7 instead, but I'd be just as happy if I could make it run as is, as I'm comfortable with the system. I already have the upgrade to 7, just hesitate doing the install.

Thanks for anything you care to offer in the way of advice or guidance. I'm not far from being a computer moron.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
JHenriksen

Re: Windows Vista with a headache. Any help?

Post by JHenriksen »

If you have the Vista install disk, you should be able to boot the computer with it in the drive. Eventually it will prompt you to either install windows vista or 'repair the computer' That is the option to click. Not that it will cure the problem either
As far as computer proficiency, We sit next to each other on the same short bus to computer class.
ken572

Post by ken572 »

Good Morning! Harold,

Go here:

http://www.instant-registry-fixes.org/f ... dll-error/

Ken. :)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
dly31

Post by dly31 »

Outlook Express has generally been available to completely install as a no cost download from Microsoft.
Don Young
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Well, I solved my problem by updating to Windows 7. I had the upgrade, but hesitated to do the install. Now to get email working, as Outlook Express isn't a part of the installation.

Thanks for the input.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Outlook Express went away on Win 7, and was replaced by 'Windows Live Mail'.

I have never used it, as I have Windows Office and it comes with Outlook.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
ronm

Post by ronm »

Get Firefox...it's free & it works...don't mess w/that microsoft crap... :wink:
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

ronm wrote:Get Firefox...it's free & it works...don't mess w/that microsoft crap... :wink:
When it comes to browsers, I agree. I use Firefox. I had problems with IE, both slow, and crashing a lot...I switched to Firefox quite some time ago.

Mail....I use Outlook, and have used Outlook Express, and never had any problems.
Maybe I'm lucky?

:)
Bill
ronm

Post by ronm »

I dunno, Bill-I'm no expert by any means either, I use my cable co. setup for email.
It may be a mixed blessing, but I have a son that's an electrical engineer, & fairly much of a computer expert...he switched me over to Ubuntu, which is described as "Linux for humans" a couple years ago, after I had a bad virus problem on Windows...Linux is sorta weird & cryptic, but the best thing is, very few hackers waste their time creating viruses for it, Microsoft being the big target...so far, so good-no problems...
The mixed blessing part was that when he was in high school, my computer was a test bed for all his & my nephew's experiments...I wondered why it actually had fewer problems after he went off to college... :roll:
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

I know what you're sayin' Ron.....
I have two sons. One is an IT guy, the other makes computer games. I run into a problem, I get one of them for some help.
I've looked at Linux a few times, but the problem is with a lot of the software I, and my wife use....it's not compatible with Linux. The software developers go where the money is, the highest population, and that's unfortunately Microsoft.

What do ya do.....

:)
Bill
ronm

Post by ronm »

Yep, that be the downside...I still haven't found anything to replace Quicken, which will not run on Linux...the free program that comes w/ Ubuntu would drive a CPA to drink...hellishly complicated & unfriendly, & the patches to try & make Quicken work are no better...
Yes, what do ya do indeed- :?
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Yup.... Quicken is one of the ones that was a big roadblock for us too. They make a Windows and a Mac version....but that's it.

Held captive by the Microsoft Gods......

:?
Bill