HF Rubber straps NOT

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

spro

HF Rubber straps NOT

Post by spro »

Around these times one may need rubber straps for chains. They may think a package of these is a bargain at HF. I did that and they are terrible. I used the whole load for cinching up boards from warping. They all disintegrated in nominal sunlight, medium load in weeks. OTOH I revisited one 2 1/2' long which had been out in the weather for At Least 8 years. It is marked "RADIATOR SPECIALTY CO." These ole boys are what you need.
steamin10

Re: HF Rubber straps NOT

Post by steamin10 »

If thay are the pretty rope type with the wired hooked ends, they are for binding soft loads, and I use them out of the cute clear plastic candystore container. Because there are so many, they serve my purposes well. Along with a hand made cargo net, I can keep many boxes and items secure for the road at 70mph, and they all tuck behind the seat.

If you are talking about the truckers rubber straps, with the S hook on each end, for tarps and such, then HF is not the place to buy them. They are not that expensive, at truck stops, but then they are. Home stores carry a variety, but the rubber is from fair to awful. I always have some ratchet straps, for tie down and general use, always behind the seat.

I am cheep. During summer months, I pick up straps and such on the side of the expressways here that are littered with such lost stuff. Usually a week or so of awareness will getme a coupla dozen rubber tie downs, that will serve me for the year and better.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
spro

Post by spro »

Yes Dave. I was talking about the black rubber(?) ones. Molded on them is E.P. D. M. and a bunch of warnings about maximum stretch etc. You'll probably find half of one and except for the S hooks they are trash.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

I find a lot of halves of course. But whole ones too. Soup to nuts on age and quality. But, I find those clampon winders too, and many yards of the wide truck strapping that comes loose or breaks the hook off. Interesting stuff actually, if you take the time to glean the stuff on the side of the way.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
spro

Post by spro »

That of course is a slightly different subject and worthy of understanding. For wiw my brother mentions a floor jack, a Big floor jack which resides now in another area. He got it years ago because a truck went by and for whatever reason it broke loose and ended up in the middle of the road. Being a good citizen he cleared it of being a hazard. It wasn't in front of his property but is was like "hey man there is this big thing in the middle of the road and someone's gonna get killed" ..So he drove over and removed it. But it was a good jack. I remember a jack which needed a wheel and it also needed front axle. I turned a wheel and replaced the axle. Years later I've been using this jack and he mentions it's the same one. It's perhaps back to straps or lack.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

I got a bag of bungie cords from Horror Freight several years ago. They worked OK, but didn't last long. They cracked and deteriorated whether they were in the sun or in the shop.

The worst thing about 'em, was I swear they had to have ground up a skunk in the mix when they made 'em. Just using 'em to tie down a tarp or something, and then my hands smelled like a skunk.

Friend of mine got a rubber floor mat from 'em that had the same aroma.
I think they have a proprietary rubber formula that includes road kill.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

for what it is worth i checked a truck stop today and they came from shire lanka. must be beyond kansas