34 ohm 2 watt resistor

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

Harold_V

34 ohm 2 watt resistor

Post by Harold_V »

Anyone here happen to have a collection of resistors? I've looked long and hard to find one (34 ohm, 2 watt), and have hit a wall.
Any input is appreciated.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
drmico60

Re: 34 ohm 2 watt resistor

Post by drmico60 »

Harold_V wrote:Anyone here happen to have a collection of resistors? I've looked long and hard to find one (34 ohm, 2 watt), and have hit a wall.
Any input is appreciated.

Harold
How about 2 x 68 ohm resistors in parallel? 68 ohm is a standard resistor value. Each resistor only needs to have a 1 watt rating since they will each dissipate half the power.
Mike
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

surplus sales of nebrasca 34 ohm 7 watt or 34.8 ohm 2 watt for a couple bucke each

http://www.surplussales.com/resistors/W ... 0-499.html
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

and I can suggest a number of other sources if those do not work out.
Ski

Post by Ski »

What percent accuracy resistor is it? You could possibly go up or down if you have one close unless it calls for like a 1% accuracy resistor. I think most are 5%. Just a thought. I have a pretty good selection from ham radio tinkering so will take a look.
mechanicalmagic

Post by mechanicalmagic »

Harold,
I found 33 ohm, 3 watt at http://www.halted.com for 25 cents each. They are 10% tolerance. I can drop by and get a few for you.

Dave (mechanicalmagic)
Every day I ask myself, "What's the most fun thing to do today."
9x48 BP clone, 12x36 lathe, TIG, MIG, Gas, 3 in 1 sheetmetal.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Thanks for the tremendous response, guys.
This resistor is for a charging system for gel cells (alarm system). After a harrowing day, and a lot of experience installing the battery, I managed to hook it up wrong. The result of a very frustrated individual---struggling with an alarm system that just isn't cooperating! :-) Suddenly the magic smoke got out. The (then) 34 ohm resistor is now about 200 ohms, although the unit still operates. How well is the question.

After giving this entire matter some thought, I picked up the phone and ordered a new board, which I am supposed to receive Friday. I had intended to replace the resistor (gold, or 5%), but decided against it, not knowing how critical the resistance of the circuit is. There's a trim pot in the circuit, and I have no clue what the outgoing value should be, and I want the alarm system to be reliable. I consider this one of those $45 screw-ups with which I've been known to be associated. :oops:

Dave (mechanicalmagic), how very generous of you to offer to pick up a few for me. I'm very pleased to see you still here with us. If I had intentions of rebuilding the board, I'd certainly welcome your fine gesture. :-)

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
mechanicalmagic

Post by mechanicalmagic »

Harold,
Glad to help out if I can. Thank you for the kind words. I'm planning on sticking around as long as possible, no plans to move to the "new shop" anytime soon.

Dave J
Every day I ask myself, "What's the most fun thing to do today."
9x48 BP clone, 12x36 lathe, TIG, MIG, Gas, 3 in 1 sheetmetal.