How Many of You Remember T.C.'s Norton's

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

ken572

How Many of You Remember T.C.'s Norton's

Post by ken572 »

(All) :D

He had a single engine Norton,

a double engine Norton,

and a triple engine Norton.

Check it out :wink: 8)
HOGSLAYER.doc
(349.5 KiB) Downloaded 206 times
Ken. :)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
Bill Shields

Re: How Many of You Remember T.C.'s Norton's

Post by Bill Shields »

I had a single-engine 'Atlas' at one time in my distant past....before I traded it in on a Triumph Trident and finally got smart and got something more reliable (still have that 1974 BMW with 150,000 miles on it) :lol:

As for 'most famous'.....well a guy named Russ Collins might take issue with that statement.

His 'AT&SF' triple engine Honda was something to see in person...
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
ken572

Post by ken572 »

Bill Shields wrote:I had a single-engine 'Atlas' at one time in my distant past....before I traded it in on a Triumph Trident and finally got smart and got something more reliable (still have that 1974 BMW with 150,000 miles on it) :lol:

As for 'most famous'.....well a guy named Russ Collins might take issue with that statement.

:D Bill,

Not sure whose triple Honda it was but that is what finally Beat TC's Norton I believe. :lol:

Those BMW bikes were very reliable. 150K miles is outstanding. 8)

One must remember.
Ken.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

it was Russ'...and actually his Twin engine Honda was faster..

IIRC he almost died in a crash of the triple....
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
ken572

Post by ken572 »

I just found a picture of TC's Triple Engine 8)

to complement the Twin Engine in the .doc

above. Now I need to find a picture of his

Single Engine Norton that he started with.

EDIT: I almost forgot the Triple Engine picture. :oops: :lol:
Hogslayer3L.jpg
Ken. :) :lol:
Last edited by ken572 on Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One must remember.
Ken.
ken572

Post by ken572 »

(All) :D
More T.C. History.doc
(24.5 KiB) Downloaded 150 times
One must remember.
Ken.
spro

Post by spro »

Ken. I could be that Man looking at that Machine, in Awe. Thanks as usual for the pics and links.!!!
rrnut-2

Post by rrnut-2 »

Bill Shields wrote:I had a single-engine 'Atlas' at one time in my distant past....before I traded it in on a Triumph Trident and finally got smart and got something more reliable (still have that 1974 BMW with 150,000 miles on it) :lol:

I had a Triumph Trident also. After I rewired it, it would start in the rain. Before that, if it smelled water anywhere within 500ft, it wouldn't start! :(

Jim B
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Remember the BSA 500's that my buddy had right outta high school. I got a Honda 750, after a false start with a 100. My bud moved up to a BMW, as did another bud, but i stuck to Honda 750's, and sold them out when I hit 50- 60K miles in two years. The only two tridents in town were always in the shop for one reason or other. The BSA had a side case paper gasket, that always leaked. I pressed my buddy for an answer, after putting the 4-5th gasket in, 'why does it still leak?' His straight forward answer was 'because it still runs!'

I was a pretty good mecahinc with mine doing all the service period work, and never had a problem, except for the wreck on a rail crossing that mashed the road bar into the gen case and crushed the coil. Other than that, I thought they were fine machines,, until compared to a Beemer. I just didn't pay the price to switch.

Those were my summer days of fun, lemme tell ya. I loved going on the Lake tour, into Canada and around the Wisconson or Michigan side. Only an ID for the border then. Times change.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
ken572

Post by ken572 »

steamin10 wrote:Remember the BSA 500's that my buddy had right outta high school. I got a Honda 750, after a false start with a 100. My bud moved up to a BMW, as did another bud, but i stuck to Honda 750's, and sold them out when I hit 50- 60K miles in two years. The only two tridents in town were always in the shop for one reason or other. The BSA had a side case paper gasket, that always leaked. I pressed my buddy for an answer, after putting the 4-5th gasket in, 'why does it still leak?' His straight forward answer was 'because it still runs!'

I was a pretty good mecahinc with mine doing all the service period work, and never had a problem, except for the wreck on a rail crossing that mashed the road bar into the gen case and crushed the coil. Other than that, I thought they were fine machines,, until compared to a Beemer. I just didn't pay the price to switch.

Those were my summer days of fun, lemme tell ya. I loved going on the Lake tour, into Canada and around the Wisconson or Michigan side. Only an ID for the border then. Times change.
BSA's (AKA Beezers) Yup :!: I remember.

I had a 1969 650 BSA Hornet with a Hog rear wheel,

and 8 inches over on the front end, and ape hanger

bar's and a skinny king queen seat w/short sissy bar.

Lots of fun.

One must remember.
Ken.
spro

Post by spro »

I knew a fellow who had a powerful bike. It had been stolen and he had another powerful, at that time. BMW's and Kawasaki's come to mind. Although the guy was very neat and cool, he had issues. We all have issues but this great person was becoming suicidal. I didn't know. He invited me to ride and I had to hang on by every muscle . Everything I had and gripping any part of that machine to keep from flying into the road. I think he wanted something more than what he ultimately did. G Forces which I had never experienced and Now I remember. I took my hands from hot and red and gripped him. He didn't want to take me down too.
He did commit suicide and it was alone with nobody to grip him in terror. . It could have been different.
That's another thing I live with and that was long ago. I was too young to know how to change this, even when my life was in the balance. Toward later decades, the grip is fleeting and people are not suicidal. The intensity remains. The split second remains. Within that second he would have lived and I would have died. That would have been a reason for, another reason to justify the unjustifiable. I didn't give that to him nor did I save him from the same destination. Another thing to live with. Then the alternative.
ken572

Post by ken572 »

spro wrote:I knew a fellow who had a powerful bike. It had been stolen and he had another powerful, at that time. BMW's and Kawasaki's come to mind. Although the guy was very neat and cool, he had issues. We all have issues but this great person was becoming suicidal. I didn't know. He invited me to ride and I had to hang on by every muscle . Everything I had and gripping any part of that machine to keep from flying into the road. I think he wanted something more than what he ultimately did. G Forces which I had never experienced and Now I remember. I took my hands from hot and red and gripped him. He didn't want to take me down too.
He did commit suicide and it was alone with nobody to grip him in terror. . It could have been different.
That's another thing I live with and that was long ago. I was too young to know how to change this, even when my life was in the balance. Toward later decades, the grip is fleeting and people are not suicidal. The intensity remains. The split second remains. Within that second he would have lived and I would have died. That would have been a reason for, another reason to justify the unjustifiable. I didn't give that to him nor did I save him from the same destination. Another thing to live with. Then the alternative.
Well spro, I guess we can say you were very

fortunate not to be with your friend on his last ride.

One must remember.
Ken.