Big blow, twisters and winds in Arizona.

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

steamin10

Big blow, twisters and winds in Arizona.

Post by steamin10 »

Holy Moley! Train derailed by high winds, and tornados in an odd state. Normally I would think Oklahoma was the tornado alley.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
Harold_V

Re: Big blow, twisters and winds in Arizona.

Post by Harold_V »

steamin10 wrote:Holy Moley! Train derailed by high winds, and tornados in an odd state. Normally I would think Oklahoma was the tornado alley.
I am endlessly amused by folks who insist there is no "global warming". The very things that have been predicted are coming to pass, yet there is an endless string of denials coming from those who refuse to smell the coffee.

One of the things that were predicted with warming was that the weather patterns would change--that dry areas may become wet, and storms may be more severe. That you're witnessing trains being blown over and tornadoes where they are not known to exist comes as no surprise. That's very much a part of what has been predicted.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

I had a friend in Moriarity NM, has ten acres of land. (desert). A local water well , 36 inch, drilled before the dust bowl years, is still dry, and has only seen water occasionally as it follows the bedrock slope, away from the hole. They told me the weather has not provided enough rainfall for the area, for a dozen years now. (80+ ft, some in the area are 120+, and dry).

As I predicted we have had a late spring, but today it was 91. The weather pattern has us locked out of some storm conditions, stalled over Ohio, and West. We are getting a lot of bluster, and low overhead, but maybe tomorrow a small temp drop, and only scattered showers. The Wind direction is wrong, SW, insted of West, for this time of year. So I dunno, just strange.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Harold_V wrote: I am endlessly amused by folks who insist there is no "global warming".
Harold
I don't fear 'global warming'....or is it 'climate change'....or I guess it's now rebranded to 'climate disruption'.
In the 80's, they said we were entering an ice age..... 'global cooling'?

I do fear a government that is going to force me to freeze in the dark.....if I don't starve to death first.

Hope I amused you. :D
Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Ha! I am under a rain front now. A little late but here in the order of things. I think I will be long gone before that kind of 'conservation' will be in effect. Maybe a Easter Island thing, when we cut down the few remaining trees just to stay warm. Nature the Mother, will always test her children.

PS. It was a shock when the talking heads meantioned 7 aircraft were struck by lightning while approaching the airport, all landing safely. I know nothing of the effects of lightning on aircraft.

Another thing, there was golfball sized hail. I know they had to have an avoidance system, an airplane cant possibly survive flying through that. I am amazed at the way things work out. Good Day.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

We know the planet undergoes serious climate change, afterall, I'm sure we all believe there was an ice age. Continents have even split and drifted around and are still doing so today!

The question though is what should we do about it? Or can we even do anything about it?

I perceive the weather changes that have occurred over the past 100 or so years as relatively insignificant considering what we know about historical extreme weather shifts.

Where did the polar ice caps go?
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
ken572

Post by ken572 »

warmstrong1955 wrote:
Harold_V wrote: I am endlessly amused by folks who insist there is no "global warming".
Harold
I don't fear 'global warming'....or is it 'climate change'....or I guess it's now rebranded to 'climate disruption'.

I do fear a government that is going to force me to freeze in the dark.....if I don't starve to death first.

Hope I amused you. :D
Bill
Yup :!: Bill, I agree with your Thoughts

I also think it would be very good in many way's if they quit playing

with (HARP and Shut it Down) but I doubt if they will do that

because good old (Mother Nature)would self normalize.

Then the projected profits from scaring the masses would go away,

along with the carbon footprint TAXES. :shock: :lol: :lol:

Okay, I will be quiet now. :roll: :oops:

Ken. :)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
pacrat

Post by pacrat »

A volcano in Greenland puked out more ash and CO2 in a week than all of human kind have donated to our atmosphere since the beginning of the industrial age 150 yrs ago.

Much is said in the BSM of the few Greenland glaciers that are receeding. Nothing is said of the other 200+ that are getting thicker.

Yes, the Ross ice pack in Antartica is shrinking. As it has done many times before. Due to changed ocean currents. As they have changed many times before. What doesn't get any media coverage is the FACT that the ice pack on the rest of the continent is increasing.

ctwo asked,
Where did the polar ice caps go?
Ever hear of the Northweat Passage? The one that froze over in the early 1900's that previously allowed wooden sailing vessels to cross from the Atlantic to the Pacific over the top of the North American Continent.

They went where they always go, south for a vacation to warmer climes. :wink:

But now that they are again headed home up north you hear NOTHING in the BSM.

http://dailycaller.com/2013/12/16/globa ... 0-percent/
“Some of the models suggest that there is a 75 percent chance that the entire north polar ice cap, during some of the summer months, could be completely ice-free within the next five to seven years,” Gore said in 2008.

The North Pole is still there, and growing. BBC News reports that year.
data from Europe’s Cryosat spacecraft shows that Arctic sea ice coverage was nearly 9,000 cubic kilometers (2,100 cubic miles) by the end of this year’s melting season, up from about 6,000 cubic kilometers (1,400 cubic miles) during the same time last year.
There are chicken littles always trying to cash in whether the weather is getting warmer or colder. The only sure thing about "Climate Change" is that it will "Change". Sometimes for the better in certain areas to the detriment of other areas and sometimes the reverse.

The Gobi Desert smack in the middle of the largest continent was once a primordal swamp.

A wise man once said, "This too shall pass" Same goes for the weather.

One of the things that were predicted with warming was that the weather patterns would change--that dry areas may become wet, and storms may be more severe.
BTDT, just look at the evidence written in "stone" not in BSM newsprint or "paid for their opinion" talking heads.

JM2c
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

warmstrong1955 wrote:I don't fear 'global warming'....or is it 'climate change'....or I guess it's now rebranded to 'climate disruption'.
Propaganda, and not much more. We see that daily, from those who refuse to acknowledge (most likely for financial reasons) that which we KNOW is occurring. The facts indicate that there has been a gradual warming of our atmosphere over the past 100 years, by a grand total that nears 2°. Doesn't sound like much, but it has a profound affect on the environment---shrinking ice caps---receding glaciers--and rising sea levels. Why this is occurring may be open to debate, but that is happening is not.

The point of all of this is we MAY be contributing to the process.

Are we?

I can not say, and those who may be able to do so are being shouted down by those who swear there's a conspiracy. Ignore the problem and it goes away, right?

Keep one thing in mind. We can not destroy the planet. It goes on, whether there is life as we know it, or not.

What we can do is alter it such that it can no longer support life as we know it. Only a fool would be willing to gamble on that scenario.

This entire matter isn't political, but it has become so because man, in all his wisdom (and greed) has found it acceptable to allow others to create yet more pollution, so long as they have the necessary "permits".

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

pacrat wrote:A volcano in Greenland puked out more ash and CO2 in a week than all of human kind have donated to our atmosphere since the beginning of the industrial age 150 yrs ago.

Much is said in the BSM of the few Greenland glaciers that are receeding. Nothing is said of the other 200+ that are getting thicker.
Cites, please!

Harold
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Harold_V wrote: ......that which we KNOW is occurring.
Harold
'WE' don't KNOW that it's occurring. Simple as that.
Has the average temp gone up 2 degrees in the last 100 years? I'm OK to say that I don't know, and that no one really knows. Politics are more involved than science unfortunately.

Keep in mind, you have to be aware on how the data is gathered, 100 years ago, compared to today. Is it all coming from the same exact locations, and the same number of locations? Short answer.... NO.
I can have a morning temp at my house of 37F, and if I drive across town, it's 32F. My morning low temps are generally a couple degrees higher here than down by the river. So, if I change the location of the data point from River Road to my house in 1987, it's going to appear that it's getting warmer here....which it is not.
So....where, and how long have all the data been accumulated, and most importantly, where has the point(s) changed, and/or been added?
Are these kids comparing apples to apples..... I doubt it in many cases....actually....most cases.

Does climate change?
Yes, no doubt. No argument. Take my little part of the world here. We are in a drought right now, but it's hardly the first time. Does the drought we're in mean it's due to 'climate change'? I don't think so....it's a normal cycle.
Past droughts in Nevada, data from 1907 on.....
1928-1937
1953-1955
1959-1962
1976-1977
1987-1988
1999-2002
See a pattern here? About every 10-20 years, we get a drought. Want me to list the floods? Same pattern. No mystery.
The climate changes....yes. Always has and always will.
Did we do it? ....NO.
Are we contributing to it....I don't know? That's as far as I can go.....I don't know.

Now....should we be conservative? Yes.
Should we freeze in the dark to save the planet? NO NO NO!
If we are adding to 'global warming', would it help if we completely quit burning fossil fuels in this country all together. Again.....ABSOLUTLY NO!
If the entire world quit using fossil fuels? Maybe it would help....maybe not. I don't KNOW. Ephasis on the word 'KNOW'
But then....we would all be freezing in the dark wouldn't we? And we would be using pedal driven lathes and mills......and bearskins and knives.....

Sorry....it's unfortunately all political at this point....and the science, on both sides....beyond suspect.

Still amused? :wink:
By the way.....I saw a tornado in Arizona....in 1981. Didn't hurt the church parking lot, but was tough on the Mann's house across the street for sure.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
pacrat

Post by pacrat »

Hard to argue with NASA sat photos.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -year.html

Scroll down a bit and check the pics.

Very convenient to promote a "THEORY" that if it gets warmer it is caused by GloBull warming. If it gets colder it is caused by GloBull warming. If there is a drought it is caused by GloBull warming. And if you get so much rain you have a flood, it is caused by GloBull warming. If the wind doesn't blow, it is caused by GloBull warming. If you have a tornado, it is caused by GloBull warming. If you get sunburn, it is caused by GloBull warming. If you die of hypothermia, Globull warming killed you.

Just can't lose. :roll: Question is.........who wins? GloBull Warming has become a multi BILLION dollar business. And a War Cry for politicians wanting to fill their campaign chests.

Meanwhile, A new record LOW TEMP was set in Antartica. -136*f. Folks, that is colder than solidified CO2 aka dry ice. New record LOWS were also set all across the ConUSA this last winter.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... a-science/

No matter how cold it gets. It is somehow caused by GloBull warming. :roll:

JM2c