Problem logging on yesterday

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

steamin10

Re: Problem logging on yesterday

Post by steamin10 »

FYI: Monday I checked my beloved board and closed out. Early afternoon, I tried to open the computer and it told me that Firefox was already running, and I had to shut it down before another application could be opened. !!! (?).

Rose turned the puter off, and restarted, and I have normal operations again. But I question what is going on, as I am not savy on invasive programs. This is a new deal for me. What gives?
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

I'm fairly certain this is a server related problem. It will be slow to the point of unusable on this site, and hitting other sites all over the country are as zippy as usual. I also have not had any problems due to malevolent programs associated with this site, so at this point, the site having been hacked to deliver such programs seems unlikely. 'Gator is a hosting service, so it's also possible that another site with higher profile (i.e. a worthwhile target) is also hosted such that it shares resources with this site, and that other site may be experiencing a "denial of service" (DoS) attack, which could then impact this site as well. Or it could be as simple as insufficient resources allocated...
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

I dunno. On this borrowed computer, I Yahoo-ed Chaski, and got the Machinist board list as usual. Clicking on that it took me to the Home Machinist Magazine on Amazon. Strange.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

steamin10 wrote:I dunno. On this borrowed computer, I Yahoo-ed Chaski, and got the Machinist board list as usual. Clicking on that it took me to the Home Machinist Magazine on Amazon. Strange.
Strange indeed....
I just tried what you did with Yahoo, and searched 'chaski'. Got the board at the top of the list. When I clicked on it, it took me our good ol' board.

Maybe you need to run something like Malwarebytes....and CCleaner? Your computer may have critters in it.....
:?

I agree with Bad Dog.....the slow downs are a server problem, and most likely a lack of bandwidth.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.