Problem logging on yesterday

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

JackF

Re: Problem logging on yesterday

Post by JackF »

Thanks Harold, :) your opinion has always been tops with me. :wink: :D

Jack
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Is it just me, or does this site seem to slow to a crawl of about dial up speed intermittently for two or three hours every weekday afternoon with the occasional visit by the Gator?

Everything else seems to run at normal speed.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
rrnut-2

Post by rrnut-2 »

And I thought it was just me. I have seen the gator a few times.

Jim B
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Me too. Borderline unusable much of the day.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

I can't say that I have ever noticed a big delay. The times I have noticed that the site has slowed down have usually coincided with slowness from other sites that I am on as well, and I have always attributed those problems with my ISP as opposed to the host of this site.

Do the slow downs appear to coincide with the number of users online? The more there are the slower it goes?
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

It took 3 minutes 35 seconds to refresh the main page just now.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Normally the screens just pop, from one page to another in a mere second or two. Earlier this week, it was taking minutes to change pages, while the computer chewed. I closed it out, and by afternoon, situation was back to normal. however, my anti-stuff was going nuts, and the bozo puter was trying to fire the printer, with warmup commands. A sweep cleared it out, and everything is running normal right now. So, I think someone is trying to hack the Host, and there are notions, and motions we dont see.

I dunno, just a guess.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Glenn Wegman wrote:Is it just me, or does this site seem to slow to a crawl of about dial up speed intermittently for two or three hours every weekday afternoon with the occasional visit by the Gator?

Everything else seems to run at normal speed.
I was going to post yesterday after I read this....but when I hit enter....I gotta Gator. Again. And again. So I gave up.

So yeah...seems to be some problems to me. Hope 'whoever' gets it fixed.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
JackF

Post by JackF »

I'm with Big Dave, this is what happened to me prompting me to start this thread. Happened again earlier this week but all is fine today. Like Dave said, maybe some hacking attempts?

Jack.
ronm

Post by ronm »

I've never had that problem with this site, but I mostly get on here in the morning & evening, so maybe just missing "rush hour"...
I do get slow response randomly, but not this site exclusively-I chalk it up to my cable service...
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

ronm wrote:I've never had that problem with this site, but I mostly get on here in the morning & evening, so maybe just missing "rush hour"...
I do get slow response randomly, but not this site exclusively-I chalk it up to my cable service...
I've been experiencing the same issues, and they're much worse of late.
One of the things I've discovered when it's really slow is to close the browser, then reopen. The stuttering that appears to be so common will often evaporate (although not always).
I have a DSL connection, with speeds up to 5mbps. I used to get near that speed, but of late I am hard pressed to get even 1mbps. Makes it very difficult to do much.

I've been raising hell with my IP over this issue. We're all being taken for a ride. They take your money under the guise of providing a service that they know they can't provide, because in most cases they've over-sold the service, exceeding their bandwidth by a generous margin, so they increase profits at the expense of the user.

I wonder-----would a law suit get them to mend their ways? Isn't this called false advertising?

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
spro

Post by spro »

There it is and also that it would cost more than before they were sued.