Emergency Water Plumbing

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

hammermill

Re: Emergency Water Plumbing

Post by hammermill »

What is everyone's take on using hydrogen peroxide in iron removAl??
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

If the iron is soluble -- as in dissolved out of strata in the aquifer, or out of your pipes, by acids (carbonic acid or humic acid come to mind, and there probably are others), then the peroxide will oxidize the soluble iron to rust, which will precipitate out, or can be filtered out, although you'll need a pretty good filter.

If on the other hand the iron already is present as rust -- ferric oxide -- then further treatment with peroxide will do nothing.
Pete in NJ
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Hammer and others: I had put in some time on the question, and the bottled water is definatly spendy. The problem becomes servicing a modern dinosaur that doesnt work so well, because of the limits of the 'new' technology. It is just really packaged with other plastic parts for the same old game. In my previous house, I had a water softener, and iron filter, that was renewed with permanganate solutions. This is unfriendly in mess and staining, salts to septic systems, and was abandoned after several years. A timer and some plastic valve parts failed, and became unavailable (Sears, no less) so the system was scrapped at a fairly young age. I would save money with a lease and service system, that is $80 a month, but I am not much of a club joiner, nor do I sign up for long term contracts. I am wary of silver tongued sales people, that will sell me a sham, and worry later. Most people struggle with a salt based softener and let it go at that.

It should be known the previous house is about 200 ft from my current castle, where I tried and failed to live off grid for a bit. We are again prepping to run on wood for a while, as massive trees have died here on the fence line, nad are to be converted for fuels. Any body got a medium pressure boiler and a vertical ventilater engine??? :cry:
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
golfpin

Post by golfpin »

wow and I thought we had water problems, it was said not long ago by a silver tongued sales type that water will become a commodity [true] and the next world war will be over water!!!
golfpin rsa
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

Makes me appreciate my water which has a little magnesium. Our bottled water comes from high mountain springs

Runs us 5.00 a. Bottle. We consider it a luxury. So for us it's 40 a month
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Interestng. I just looked at my billing. $4 per bottle, $3 delivery charge, thats $7 ea. for 12 bottles every 3 weeks. They load 2 on my deck for the kitchen, and the rest go under the deck for the storage rack. 67.31 w/tax this round. ! full left over.

I gotta go count to make sure its an honest count.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

We have changed what we do, as we move forward. Mom has rethought the water supply, and now hits the water guy on the way home from work. We exchange the 4-5 MTs and forgo the $3 delivery charge. So thats about a $15 savings each hit. We hold 12 bottles, stored in a doorless plastic shed/rack. Each in a Milk style crate to shoulder high.

We have changed local trash service again, going from $90+ to $66 per quarter. So thats $100+ per year. (I wanted to team with another local that sports a 2yd box, but Mom wants independence.)
TRX

Post by TRX »

steamin10 wrote:I dont like the taste of Clorox on the rocks
The local water utility is in lust with chlorine. Just running water in the sink will burn my eyes; taking a shower can be an adventure. I use bottled water for drinking.
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

I don't know anything about iron removal, but I have heard commercials from these guys and have heard some farmers talking about them. From what I've heard they are supposed to have one of the better iron removal filters. http://www.bigirondrilling.com/site/iron_filters

They are local to me, but I don't have any interest in them. Just passing information on that Ive heard.
f350ca

Post by f350ca »

In the 90's we rented a farm house in north eastern Alberta, the water was virtually undrinkable, loads of iron for one thing. Bottled water wasn't that popular yet, we bought a distiller that would make about 5 gallons a day. I plumbed it into the water line for feed and had a small countertop tap. Incredible water, made the best coffee I ever drank. Interestingly distilled water is horribly corrosive to most metals, had to spend a fortune on a tap that was all stainless, the little chromed brass ones for bypassing the water softener would eat out in a matter of months.