Help me Rig up for Trailer

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

SteveHGraham

Re: Help me Rig up for Trailer

Post by SteveHGraham »

I just bypassed the click filter on this thing. It's a doodad organists hate. I think it's a low pass filter. Anyway, I did that and oiled the tonewheel motor, and now I am fried. I am ready to lie on the floor of the shower with a jug of martinis. Building a new garage will have to wait until tomorrow morning.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Click filter???
Tonewheel motor???

Is that like changing the roguts in a cragameter???

Jug of martinis..... I understand.....

Sorry.....not up on organ design.....
Glad it made the trip!

:)
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

The Hammond organ is a fascinating invention. For tool nuts, it might actually be interesting to read about it. I found a short documentary on Youtube, and it was really good.

Mr. Hammond invented the electric clock, or at least the first one that worked. The circuit he developed made it possible to generate fixed frequencies. That's where it started.

These instruments are bulletproof. The one I got today was made in 1965 or 1966. It still has the original tubes and bearings, and everything works, in spite of poor maintenance. I may have to replace some caps, but I think that's about it, apart from letting the cat pee smell evaporate. Everything that comes from a cat owner's home, including the owner, will eventually smell of cat pee, even if the cat never actually hits it.

Cat owners will disagree, but research has shown that they are all crazy.

hammermill

Post by hammermill »

Yes a regiment of upgrading the old electrolytic capacitors will be a good idea. Looking in the bench seat I found the service record chart. Called the service tech and found out I was 2nd owner. You will enjoy it. Many good videos on you tube.

Lots of tech info too. Wish I played better.,
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Thanks for that!
Fascinating bunch of history! Good start with ol' Ed.....

They probably didn't have a cat. Probably..... a tiger..... good luck with that.... I think the half-life of any sort of eau de feline wizz is about the same as strontium-90 and cesium-137.... 40 years give or take.....(some stuff I DO know some history of....)

They sell Fabreze in 55 gallon drums?

;)
Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

We had a cat. A very evil cat, that would tear up furniture, and once sprayed my daughter right on her shirt-front, while she was holding forth about the "poor misunderstood kitty". Aafter misbehaving, the cat usually was put in the mud-room ...and you know what happened down there.

Well, Kitty has been gone for 20+ years, and on a warm, humid day, the mud-room STILL has a whiff of "Eau de Puddytat".
Pete in NJ
spro

Post by spro »

and not a mouse or large bug. Cats claim property that way and are death to vermin. They worry, play and stomp. Any bug in right bug mind doesn't go where eau de cat is detected. That goes for snakes too. You can have a sick cat and after making a mess in the box, it can't tell you it just ate the worse thing you didn't see. That would be a larger cat. Usually they have better food and will bring you a remnant of what they did. It could be a yard roach leg stuck out between whiskers. Anything for they are on the prowl all the time. When they claim they are viscous to any smaller creature. The cat is the answer, destroyer of mice which are responsible for fires and ruined food and equipment.
That little fuzzball you pat eventually claims you and your property. It is hell on legs to anything else. We can say "good cats" because they were trained right. I had the opportunity to have mamma cat and her kittens born very close here. She was something and she taught those kittens. She put them through the paces and kicked little cats asses if they screwed up. By all means there is the box you poop and pee in and over there is food bowl.
That big thing that rubs you and talks to you, cleans out that box so you don't get sick by grooming. She was. There is no pee smell anywhere now. They all are dead. I outlived them. I just can't think about my little friends too much. They did well and actually talked at me on occasion. Cat talk, yet my babe would stand on her hind legs and whack her arm on my arm to tell me stuff. Hey the box is dirty or you're smoking to damn much.. Most the time she just wanted to be with me and on my lap I would groom or look for any problem. Check her feet for metal sliver and fix her up and tell her what needed to be told. These were different cats and quality.

Ears. yes ears of a cat. This is very delicate. You have to know them well or someone needs to be sedated to clean ears. They are hearing a bug trying to get under the door. The reason is they will clean their ears by claws and tear the ears up. Every little hair in the ear is a receptor and very gently do you swab an ear. never poke deep, well they could be near dead and not allow that. You carefully find one little spec which caused distress. Cats are all about reception with the ears and eyes.
No question I am fond of them and also their arch enemy, canines. Perhaps not, today.
Surpassing them is humans. Surpassing that is reconciliation and meeting again The Author of all ability to even have this experience.
Last edited by spro on Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

It turns out a machining background is somewhat helpful in dealing with the organ.

A Hammond organ works by spinning lumpy disks near magnetic pickups. The number of lumps per disk determines the tone frequency. The apparatus that does this is called a tonewheel generator.

The motor, obviously, has a bearing at each end. The bearing has to be lubricated about once a year. The model I have has an oil cup on a stalk over each bearing.

Everyone says you MUST use Hammond brand oil, which costs about a million dollars a gallon. There are wicks in these things, and the wrong oil may have additives that stop them up, so the bearings dry out. Then the motor will get tight, and you may get fluctuations in pitch, or it can simply stop.

The organ crowd argues a lot about the best oil to use. Some people recommend spindle oil, and others say it causes metallic projections to develop inside the motors, because of metallic additives. One of the things people use is Mobil DTE 24. I gave a gallon of that stuff away.

Right here in my garage, I have two brands of air tool oil and two brands of compressor oil, plus Velocite 6. I am not telling the organ people, but I loaded the motor up with Husky air tool oil. The MSDS doesn't list any weird additives, and it's formulated to prevent gumming. Call me brave.

The lady who sold me the organ complained that it hummed. I think she was talking about the bearing noise.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I just found out I have two more oil cups on the wheel apparatus itself. Life is complicated.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I know everyone is dying for more organ information, so here is a tonewheel video.

spro

Post by spro »

It was good to hear you and without watching. It could be transformer. When the secondary sides have bad connection they still deliver the same amperage but the voltage goes higher by the resistance. That causes arcing in the delivery and damage. I think if you investigate delivery of this power, the organ will tell you the difference you made.