Trough and Threads for Oiling Bronze Organ Bearings?

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

SteveHGraham

Re: Trough and Threads for Oiling Bronze Organ Bearings?

Post by SteveHGraham »

WesG wrote:You should be able to directly lubricate the bearings on your E100 by accessing the generator from the bottom. There is a fiberglass mat clipped to the bottom of it which you must remove first. The easiest way is to just flip the organ upside down. Don't try this on a model with a spring-mounted generator!
I don't really see myself flipping a 350-pound organ, but maybe if I start hitting the gym...
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

ken572 wrote:Your Hamond E-133, soon will be completed.
Now with all that Hamond experience under your belt,
might I suggest a Hamond X-66 as your next project :?: 8)
It will totally blow you away. The best of the best I.M.H.O.

http://theatreorgans.com/hammond/x66/lang1/x66.html

Price in mid 1965 was approx $10,000.00 plus tax. :shock: :lol:

Ken. :)
I have some sad news: that organ is not that desirable. The ones people want are the ones that work well for jazz, the blues, gospel, and rock, and they are tonewheel organs. The X-66 has a very small tonewheel generator and a bunch of bells and whistles most people don't want. I don't know much about it. Maybe it's great for the theater-organ sound.

Actually, this may be very good news, since you might find one on Craigslist for a few hundred bucks, or free for anyone who will haul it off. You wouldn't be the first. If I had it, I would be trying to get rid of it.

The rule I was given when I consulted the organ gurus was that it was best to stay away from Hammonds that had colored controls.

It's kind of depressing. I keep seeing ads for overpriced organs, posted by people who think, "I paid $3000 in 1972, so it must be worth $5000 now!" Clueless. They say you can't give a Baldwin or Lowery away, and most Hammonds are in the same boat. The market for used organs is pathetic. I just saw an ad for a gigantic Allen church organ with, I believe, 9 speakers. It looked like it was in mint condition. The price: $0.00.

The E-133 generates all of its manual tones with a tonewheel generator. It differs from the most desirable consoles in that half of the bass pedal tones are created by electronically altering tones instead of providing additional wheels for them. Also, the percussion choices are somewhat cheesy, but I remedied that by modifying it. The bass and percussion features make it less desirable than organs like the B-3, but like I said, the percussion can be fixed, and some people think the bass sounds just fine.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Not being a keyboard guy, is it the fact that later Korg and Yamaha type keyboards are more portable than the console Hammonds that make them more desired,or is it the NEW syndrome all over again?

Just curious, for an opinion.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I am not that knowledgeable about it, but real Hammond organs are HEAVY, they don't interface with computers, and they don't have any sounds except organ sounds. They also use huge external speakers.

Hammond still makes organs, but they're electronic.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I guess I should say the new organs are "solid state." Obviously, the old organs are just as electronic as the new ones.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

I think that we are comparing two different versions of technology, maybe several,

much like different versions of calculators/cash registers. or changes most of us have seen in computers and the shift to electronics. not to mention the shift from desktops to tablets ,basic to dos to windows to android. and more
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Apple Apps, to Orange fakes?

Does an electronic Bass Drum sound as good as a real Bass drum? A B-3, doesnt sound like a Pipe organ, but it is quite impressive playing Bach's Fugue to me. They are still favored by many organ players for their richness.

I am ham handed, and dont do keyboarding. I have high end hearing loss, so I favor low tones and percussion.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
WesG

Post by WesG »

If I can flip a CV, you can flip an E100. :) Put a 1x3 behind it. Knock it flat on its back. Use the gap created by the 1x3 to roll it onto its top. The E100 IS heavy, you might need a friend for this. You'll definitely need a friend for an H100. I flip organs more than others, I have a bad neck but a good back. Looking up long enough to oil a generator (or make veneer repairs near the bottom) would put me in bed for two days.

That said, I forgot that the E100 has the generator on a shelf like the A100 - but not spring mounted. That's kind of a pain, at least it has a terminal strip so you can remove it reasonably easily if absolutely necessary.
silence dogood

Post by silence dogood »

I want to thank you Wes on your info on tool oil. I was not sure about it, but after you mentioning that the oil may have zinc is a good point. Not good. You are correct on the oiling of the scanner and one could have oil dripping everywhere else. However, I found it best to explain to a customer that it's best to put a few drops in each oil cup. Got to keep things simple. On the older Hammonds, if one wanted access to the bearings. You first take the brown cover off, then pick up the felt (carefully) if you want access to the bearings. One thing that should be mentioned on the spring mounted tone generators. Under the board that the generator floats above should be 4(?) 3/8th" or 5/16" hex head bolts that go through holes in the board and connected to the tone generator chassis. Hopefully they are still there. Tighten those bolts for transporting the organ. Loosen so the tone generator floats for playing. Mark