links to spawn new windos/tabs?

Get community help here, post test messages, suggestions etc. I will also document here changes that take place such as maintenance and upgrades.

Moderators: Harold_V, Marty_Escarcega

willy

links to spawn new windos/tabs?

Post by willy »

Before the board was last updated, if you clicked on a link it would open either a new tab or window. What happened to that feature and how may I restore it?

I know it is not settings on my computer as I can visit other boards and the links still opne new windows.
mechanicalmagic

Re: links to spawn new windos/tabs?

Post by mechanicalmagic »

Willy,
Not sure why the new board does things differently. But, I didn't notice. I always open a new window/tab using the center mouse button.

Dave J.
Every day I ask myself, "What's the most fun thing to do today."
9x48 BP clone, 12x36 lathe, TIG, MIG, Gas, 3 in 1 sheetmetal.
willy

Post by willy »

Before it was not necessary to use the options with mouse control. Before as in 2-3 months ago.
Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

Post by Marty_Escarcega »

willy wrote:Before it was not necessary to use the options with mouse control. Before as in 2-3 months ago.
We are looking into it. One would think its possible to have the software spawn a new window. Its a minor nuisance to click the back button on your browser, but I understand. Overall, I feel the conversion went pretty smoothly. Because it was a major upgrade there are some minor differences. We've worked pretty hard to make it as similar as possible to the old software.

Marty
"Jack of all Trades, Master of None"
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Marty_Escarcega wrote: Its a minor nuisance to click the back button on your browser,
It's actually the opposite for me (but not a problem) as with the old software I'm so used to clicking on a link or image and having a new window open, then closing it after viewing, that I keep closing the main window down now thinking I am just closing the new window!

Just got to get used to clicking the "back" button now.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
AllThumbz

Post by AllThumbz »

Marty_Escarcega wrote:
willy wrote:Before it was not necessary to use the options with mouse control. Before as in 2-3 months ago.
We are looking into it. One would think its possible to have the software spawn a new window. Its a minor nuisance to click the back button on your browser, but I understand. Overall, I feel the conversion went pretty smoothly. Because it was a major upgrade there are some minor differences. We've worked pretty hard to make it as similar as possible to the old software.

Marty

From a marketing standpoint, you want to keep users' eyeballs on your site as long as possible. This is the reason that co-branded sites - ie those where you have content being inserted into the home site via software- have become so popular, because they keep users on the home site while offering them content from another site.

What I do, in Explorer 8, is to right click and hit "open in a new tab" so that I do not have to backtrack.

Best,

Nelson
Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

Here is what I heard:
Hello Marty,
This was a deliberate change that the phpbb people did going from the
old software to the
new software.

From what I read, the quick way to handle it is to educate users to
right click on links and
that will allow them to open up in new windows. That is the feature
of the browser, not
the php application though.

-Mike
willy

Post by willy »

The problem I have found with this attitude (even with my own company) "we changed and hope you wont mind the change as we set a different attitude", is the customers will simply go to find some one that still has the requirements the customers expect. Not to say that this is on your end Marty, yet to say some one out there will figure out a patch to give back the feature that phpbb is trying to ignore.
Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

willy wrote:The problem I have found with this attitude (even with my own company) "we changed and hope you wont mind the change as we set a different attitude", is the customers will simply go to find some one that still has the requirements the customers expect. Not to say that this is on your end Marty, yet to say some one out there will figure out a patch to give back the feature that phpbb is trying to ignore.
I agree with you. I don't understand their reasoning. I liked the feature, now you just need to remember to use your browser's back button.

Thanks for the input.
Marty