Why is log In becoming harder?

Get community help here, post test messages, suggestions etc. I will also document here changes that take place such as maintenance and upgrades.

Moderators: Harold_V, Marty_Escarcega

TomB

Why is log In becoming harder?

Post by TomB »

I’m having trouble signing in. I use to just click on the IEx favorite entry for Home Machinist and I was in. Then I got a new computer with System 7 and IE8 and my favorite entry stopped working as it had previously. I ended up on the web page but not ‘Loged In’. I read one thread that said this was caused by the new anti-virus not allowing the login page to access my cookies. I tried all the ways I know how to fix that with no success.

But even without the fix I could click on ‘LogIn’ then type one letter in the log in box and the popup would show my name and password(in blocked mode) plus the two historical bad log-in data entries. I could click on the correct one, then click on ‘Log In’ and I was in with the little left side icons highlighted in yellow to show what forums included content I had not seen. I did not like the process as much as the old one but at least it worked with 3 clicks and a short wait. This week that procedure has started to fail. Instead of getting in with the icons highlighted in yellow I transition to looking at the forum list but it has no highlighting. I see the message saying I’m logged in but the ‘LogIn/Logout’ message on the top left does not change to the ‘Logout [ TomB ] state.

Now I find I have to Login again but this time I have to type my signin and password as they are not offered as click-on choices. However, when I do all the typing the view of the forum list does include the yellow highlighting so I really am ‘Logged In’. In summary, it works but it’s a lot more trouble than it used to be. What is causing this staged degradation and what can I do about it?

Tom
JackF

Re: Why is log In becoming harder?

Post by JackF »

Tom,
I hope you do not have a Mac with system 7. If so, that system is 10+ years old and probably not working well with any newer browser. In any case download the Fire Fox browser. I sometimes have to use that for some sites to work well.

Jack.
dorin

Post by dorin »

Tom,
I did a quick check on the internet...and while I didn't see a lot, I did see a little bit
about windows 7/IE 8 users...I am likely stretching here..sorry I can't give a 'forsure'
answer. I am also using Windows 7.

A couple things..

First...Make sure you are coming in via chaski.org and not chaski.com.

http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/

chaski.com is the old way into the board...I really don't know that it would
be a problem, but perhaps with new web browsers, cookies, etc...the redirecting
might play a part.

If this happens to be the case...purge your cookies and start fresh going in
through chaski.org.

Secondly...Internet explorer 8 did come up and supposedly upgrading to IE9 fixes all
the mysteries.
I did see IE9 on microsofts website and it does not look like its beta anymore...so it
may be time for an upgrade.

Anybody else have any ideas?

Thanks,
-Mike
www.chaski.com
TomB

Post by TomB »

dorin wrote:Tom,
I did a quick check on the internet...and while I didn't see a lot, I did see a little bit
about windows 7/IE 8 users...
First...Make sure you are coming in via chaski.org and not chaski.com.
-Mike
You get the prize. I looked at the IE8 favorites button via properties and it was going to …chaski.com… I edited it to …chaski.org… saved and then exited the window. When I restarted IE8 and went to Home Machinist it entered the index page without intervention. I restarted the computer and it still worked.

I thing you are also right about Windows / IE8 instability. I find IE8 hangs up at least once a day. Sometimes I can stop IE8 and Outlook then restart applications to recover, but sometimes I have to power down the computer, router and cable modem. I’ve been telling the IBM/Lenovo service reps that their new computer does not work for months. They are frustratingly polite and unhelpful. I have two houses with different routers, cable modems and cable providers. Since I see failure at both houses so only the computer and its SW are common. But the IBM/Lenovo position is that the problem is not their fault; they blame the internet provider. You may be as correct on the OS/Browser as you were on the .com vs. .org diagnosis. Unfortunately the OS and Browser are Microsoft products and that company does not provide service.

Thanks for the fix
Tom
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

I didn't even know IE9 was out until I read this post. Since I got a new computer with Win 7, I've had problems with IE8....crashes a lot, and sometimes it would take up to 30 seconds just to add another tab. So..... I downloaded Firefox....and end of problems.

I downloaded IE9 right after reading about it. It locked up a couple of times in the 3 days I test drove it....so enough of that....back to Firefox.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.