Language on the forum

Get community help here, post test messages, suggestions etc. I will also document here changes that take place such as maintenance and upgrades.

Moderators: Harold_V, Marty_Escarcega

Harold_V

Language on the forum

Post by Harold_V »

Readers,
I noticed a general degradation of the language being posted on the board. Please reconsider the way you present your offerings if you are responsible for language that isn't acceptable for family viewing.

The founder of the forum prefers that posts be such that they can be viewed by children without fear of being exposed to questionable content. Posts should not contain even hidden messages that allude to vulgarity or profanity. Those that do are subject to editing, or being deleted.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
gravy

Re: Language on the forum

Post by gravy »

Harold,

One of the things that I appreciate about this forum is the generally "gentlemanly" tone. Courtesy is a good thing. We can disagree without being vulgar.

(Hmmm... I've got an idea for a thread).
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

gravy wrote:Harold,

One of the things that I appreciate about this forum is the generally "gentlemanly" tone. Courtesy is a good thing. We can disagree without being vulgar.
For that you can thank the founder of the forum, along with Marty, our very capable administrator. They, long ago, established policy that demands those that follow the board use their best of manners. It's been a tough assignment for me, if for no other reason, I'm not the most diplomatic individual I know, and I'm inclined to speak my mind, often not pleasantly. You might say I am benefitting from their wisdom in that I am now much more tolerant of folks with which I do not agree (there's no shortage).

Thanks for your nice comments.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
already-old

Post by already-old »

Harold you must be from the old school like many of the other old goats here like myself. The old world metal working class of folks just were not up to todays world of correctness and when some idiot posed a problem or situation that was uncalled for, he usually was quickly put in his place with very little tact! Right!! ;))

Like a guy that went to sleep on a long bore job and run the bar up the spindle taper! A solid carbide one at that!! WHAT THE *#^! were you thinking!!

By the Way: That was on my prize Dean Smith Grace lathe!!

"Oily to bed Oily to rise the life of a man, when a Machine tool he buys"

Some men always thought they wanted build things, what they discovered really, is that they only just wanted to run the machines!
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

From my perspective, it's more of upholding the values that are expected of readers by the owner of the board. I'm a rather coarse individual, known to talk up a blue streak----but we present a forum that is, hopefully, acceptable for children to view. I must modify my own behavior in order to comply, which I do with pleasure.

A long shot, maybe, but having manners when interacting with others isn't too much to ask, and it makes for a much more pleasant experience for those that prefer a friendly environment. So then, while I'm not the polished individual I might hope to be, I try to live up to the expected standards that are set for us by our site administrator as well as the site owner. Both of them set high standards, and are gentlemen of the highest caliber.

I take my assignment as a moderator seriously. I feel it's a requirement if we hope to maintain some semblance of order and decency. To that end I try to enforce the few rules by which we operate. Some are offended---feel they have a right to speak their minds---even to be disruptive. Needless to say, we can't have that, for we then wouldn't enjoy the peace and calm that many enjoy with our somewhat more stringent (albeit archaic) tight control. Makes for a much nicer forum, where folks need not fear being flamed, or having to tolerate unnecessary rudeness.

An aside-----I operated, briefly, a 42" DSG lathe, many years ago. Nice machine. I think I might understand being a little hot under the collar, had what you described happened to a lathe of mine.

Harold
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

There appears to be some confusion about what is, and what isn't acceptable in the way of language on this forum.

It's simple.

The use of acronyms to replace unacceptable words is not acceptable. If the comment posted implies something less than acceptable, it, too, is not acceptable. Thus far I have been editing posts, but if it continues, I'll simply delete the offending posts. I don't want to do that, but without cooperation I'll be left with no choice.

Readers, those of you that are inclined to use coarse language---reign it in. If I can do it, you can do it.

Harold
Mark in Modesto

Post by Mark in Modesto »

And, while we're on the subject, I'm sick and tired of cliches, and I'm bound and determined to stop using them, so help me God!

(Just thought I'd toss a little humor in...the above statement is pretty much all cliches)

I totally agree with the intention of this thread...thank you!

Mark in Modesto
Old school of the deepest water
gravy

Post by gravy »

Mark in Modesto wrote:And, while we're on the subject, I'm sick and tired of cliches, and I'm bound and determined to stop using them, so help me God!

(Just thought I'd toss a little humor in...the above statement is pretty much all cliches)

I totally agree with the intention of this thread...thank you!

Mark in Modesto
Old school of the deepest water
Mark,

Stop now, before it's too late for all of us :wink:
SoCalLiveSteamer#613

Post by SoCalLiveSteamer#613 »

There are children on this board ?! :!: :wink:
Going in circles any day, anywhere as long as its on a steam engine!
bobz3denver

Post by bobz3denver »

They say that age is all in the mind. Fortunately, I'm blessed with a child-like mind.

I am new on here, having just bought a G0516. (Three weeks to get the thing cleaned and chip a carbide insert.) But, I really enjoy the tone on here and I can tell that some of the responses are second or third drafts. <grin> Keep up the great work!
There are no rules here, we're trying to accomplish something!
jim1crg

Post by jim1crg »

Harold_V wrote:Readers,
I noticed a general degradation of the language being posted on the board. Please reconsider the way you present your offerings if you are responsible for language that isn't acceptable for family viewing.

The founder of the forum prefers that posts be such that they can be viewed by children without fear of being exposed to questionable content. Posts should not contain even hidden messages that allude to vulgarity or profanity. Those that do are subject to editing, or being deleted.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Harold
Nice touch.
Mid Day Machining

Post by Mid Day Machining »

If you won't talk that way around your priest, your mother, your wife or your children, then don't post it here.
You can buy good parts, or you can buy cheap parts, but you can't buy good cheap parts.