Little bell, moving or still. What's the meaning?

Get community help here, post test messages, suggestions etc. I will also document here changes that take place such as maintenance and upgrades.

Moderators: Harold_V, Marty_Escarcega

RCW

Little bell, moving or still. What's the meaning?

Post by RCW »

Sometimes there is a little bell moving to the right of a posting. Most of the posts, the bell is not moving. What's the story? I looked around and did not find any explanation--but perhaps I did not look in the right places.

Bob
--Bob
Harold_V

Re: Little bell, moving or still. What's the meaning?

Post by Harold_V »

RCW wrote:Sometimes there is a little bell moving to the right of a posting. Most of the posts, the bell is not moving. What's the story? I looked around and did not find any explanation--but perhaps I did not look in the right places.

Bob
I don't know! :oops:

Marty? Can you address this question?

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
websterz

Post by websterz »

I believe he is referring to the moving "Unread Posts" icon to the left of some posts on the index screens. It looks like a bell if you hold your mouth just right. :)
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

websterz wrote:I believe he is referring to the moving "Unread Posts" icon to the left of some posts on the index screens. It looks like a bell if you hold your mouth just right. :)
Yep, that's what he's talking about, but the point is, sometimes the *bell* is swinging, but not always.

Why?

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
dly31

Post by dly31 »

It looks to me like the 'swinging' indicates a popular topic, with more than 100? replies.
Don Young
websterz

Post by websterz »

It moves when there are unread replies to that particular post. Once you click the link to open that post, when you back out and refresh the screen that icon no longer wiggles.
Patio

Post by Patio »

I understood it to mean a popular topic, also. I am not sure what the requirement is to make it popular, as some of my post do not have 100 posts.

The dot at 11 O clock means you have made a comment on the post.

That is my understanding of things.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
websterz

Post by websterz »

Look at the bottom of any subforum page and there is a legend that explains the icons.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Thanks, websterz. I'd seen that before, but had completely forgotten. Isn't old age grand? :lol:

Click this link and read the bottom left for the descriptions.

http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/viewforum.php?f=17

Harold
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Al-Zeimer, not old age. When you know Al, life is easy. Just walk out of the house and DO. Everyday, you meet new people, that seem to know you, you get to see new sights and things like never before, and OH< My goodnes, TV is so intersting with all the new shows. Its just cool!. I think. 8)
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Patio wrote:The dot at 11 O clock means you have made a comment on the post.
Sigh!
Amazing how I can read this, yet when a reader asked me the same question, I had to turn to Mike and Marty for an answer. My memory isn't what it used to be. :roll:

Harold