Thinking of posting pictures?

Get community help here, post test messages, suggestions etc. I will also document here changes that take place such as maintenance and upgrades.

Moderators: Harold_V, Marty_Escarcega

jimdoc

Re: Thinking of posting pictures?

Post by jimdoc »

Here is a fix with Firefox and Chrome browsers.

download this https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... dl-created and it fixes the missing picture problem with out the original poster of the picture doing anything. it makes it so your computer can see the pictures.
Works with firefox.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... dl-created

There is a Chrome add on as well.
photobucket embed fix

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... jjgj?hl=en

Please share this and re-post were appropriate on this forum.
Soot n' Cinders

Post by Soot n' Cinders »

I think something in the latest upgrade broke the picture uploader. Ive tried a couple images that I know are 1024x768 and it rejects them all saying that they are 2049x1537, which is the native size for iPhone images. But I run all of my pictures through a resizing tool on my laptop before posting so I don’t know why the board is saying they are still the large size
-Tristan

Projects
-2.5" scale Class A 20 Ton Shay

Steam Siphon: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/leavitt ... tive-works
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

I'll make sure Mike and Marty are so advised.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
dorin

Post by dorin »

Please send me the pictures...I will pm you an email address.
-Mike
www.chaski.com
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Test
DSC00023.JPG
This one was 7.1 MB and 5152 x 3846 and it resized and worked fine.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
Soot n' Cinders

Post by Soot n' Cinders »

01d1ab6fa6cce857d4a773530f9cfae06afc99c50c.jpg
Test...
The original 20419x1537 uploads fine but the resized 1024x768 version says its too large.
-Tristan

Projects
-2.5" scale Class A 20 Ton Shay

Steam Siphon: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/leavitt ... tive-works
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Mike is trying to deal with the photo size issue, but he reminded me that resizing is all important, as the server doesn't have infinite capacity. If readers abuse the mandate to keep file sizes small, we risk having problems with the server shutting down. We can keep this thing running smoothly by cooperating, keeping file size reasonable, and not posting excessively large pictures. They may seem like a good idea, but they cause no end of problems for folks with slow connections and old computers.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Harold_V wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:07 am resizing is all important,
The software re-sizes the images, so how could you post over sized images?

The above image that I posted was 5152 x 3846 and was automatically re-sized to 400 x 300 when it was uploaded. There are other occasions where images will not upload regardless of size.

My experience has been that the uploading/resizing feature has always been intermittent, so there is really not anything new since the update that Mike just installed.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

As I understand it (I'm open to correction if I have it wrong), while the displayed picture is resized, the original file size is still stored, so limited space is wasted on unnecessarily large file sizes. For that reason, pictures should be resized, including reducing file size. Not all folks do that.

Early on, while most folks still had dialup connections, I routinely resized pictures, otherwise many of the threads were rendered unreadable for many readers. Large files were slow to download, so they'd get tired of waiting for the pictures (and text) to appear. I learned that a picture could be reduced in file size to as little as 30kb and still have respectable detail. A lot, of course, depended on the clarity of the original photo. In some cases, it simply wouldn't be acceptable. I make mention because on several occasions, pictures were posted that were thousands of pixels in width and height (which is how they displayed), causing readers to scroll sideways in order to read a thread. Sadly, every contribution to a thread with that condition resulted in the same problem, even if the particular post didn't contain a picture. That's why the board incorporated limits on pictures, as some simply refused to cooperate.

A little wisdom goes a long ways towards keeping this resource available for us all to enjoy. It may be a pain to resize the occasional picture, but that sure beats risking the loss of the board.

Resize those pictures, folks. It's in your best interest.

H
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

I had no idea that the original file size was stored and then displayed reduced.

What was the point of adding the auto resizing software then?

I used to always resize images prior to uploading, until the auto resizing was installed and just assumed it reduced the file as it was uploaded.
Glenn

Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

GlennW wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:04 pm What was the point of adding the auto resizing software then?
The issue with pictures is multifaceted. Pictures are auto-resized by the software to avoid text spread. The reduced file size for the thumbnail is also faster to download. Readers would not be happy to have to scroll left to right in order to read posts, and that's what happens when oversized pictures are posted. What ever is posted determines the size of the display, and all posts (on the same page) in a thread with an oversized picture suffer the consequences.

In regards to how a picture is saved, it's easy enough to read the file size, and it's clear they are large when clicked, so they display at full size. In the past, I've seen pictures posted that were several thousand pixels in width---which really screws things up, especially for readers with older computers. More modern displays allow for wider screens, but not everyone has one. In time, I expect everyone will, though.

H
ChipsAhoy

Post by ChipsAhoy »

Test
Attachments
20180421_134018.jpg
20180421_134018.jpg
20180421_134008.jpg