Thinking of posting pictures?

Get community help here, post test messages, suggestions etc. I will also document here changes that take place such as maintenance and upgrades.

Moderators: Harold_V, Marty_Escarcega

Glenn Brooks

Re: Thinking of posting pictures?

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Hi Harold,

I'd like to ask if viruses are still a problem for the forum when members post pictures in their messages? Is asking because I also belong to a sailing forum with a small membership - maybe 100 people- wherein the moderator does not allow photos due to fear of viruses in the attachments. Can you advise if the PHP software combats this problem, or is it still a major threat to administering the forum?

I would like to pass on your experiences in an attempt to convince the sailing forum admin to open up his software to photos - if PHP has a workable solution.

Thanks for any info you can pass along.

Glenn Brooks
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Glenn,
While I have administrative privileges, I rarely do anything with the software, aside from handling simple operational problems. The board is maintained by the owner, who has made all the major decisions. We, as volunteers, simply help operate the board with his guidance. It would be my opinion that he is the one to answer your question. I'll bring it to his attention, so if he has anything to offer he can do so. Please be patient---he may or may not be able to answer immediately.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
dorin

Post by dorin »

I fully admit I may be missing something...I just returned home from 20 straight hours of travelling so I am exhausted.
So here goes...

Within an image file, it is very difficult to propagate a virus.

Image files, by definition, are not executable. They need another program running to view them.

So example...If you typed mySteamEnginePicture.jpg, the file would not execute, the system would determine by the jpg extension that it was an image and launch the proper program for viewing it.

So, executable code within an image file will never normally be executed.

Naturally there are always exceptions to everything...but we follow the recommendations from the PHPBB people regarding which file extension types we should allow uploaded to minimize risk.

The only way to be completely 100% safe, well as you see, is to not allow pictures at all.

I can't say the risk is zero...but I think darn close.

Those are my exhausted thoughts! Time to shower and maybe sleep!

-Mike
www.chaski.com
dcmus

Post by dcmus »

I've read this thread but being tech challenged I have a couple questions. I use Photobucket and another group accepts the URL. Will this cause a problem?That's the last thing I want to do:) Thanks for a great forum.
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

Mea culpa. I posted a picture yesterday that exceeded the 800 pixel width. While I did resize it, is missed the 800 mark. (It was only 83K, though. :roll: )

I'll do better next time.
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

dcmus wrote:I've read this thread but being tech challenged I have a couple questions. I use Photobucket and another group accepts the URL. Will this cause a problem?That's the last thing I want to do:) Thanks for a great forum.
So far as I know, no, it won't create a problem, although linking pictures that are stored elsewhere tends to result in pictures that go missing.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

neanderman wrote:Mea culpa. I posted a picture yesterday that exceeded the 800 pixel width. While I did resize it, is missed the 800 mark. (It was only 83K, though. :roll: )

I'll do better next time.
It is my belief that readers now can NOT post pictures that are too large. We have options with the software that limit picture size, so the parameters can be set to ensure that they are not greater in size such that they spread text, which is the chief reason we try to limit size. Precisely hitting 800 pixels in width isn't really a requirement now, as pictures hosted on the Chaski board are displayed in an automatically produced thumbnail. If detail is important, the thumbnail can be clicked, which will then display the picture as large as it has been posted. For that reason, I now suggest that readers post pictures sized no larger than 1024 pixels, so detail is available when needed. Some folks post thumbnail sized pics, so that feature is defeated.

We realize that it puts a little extra demand on readers to have to resize pictures, but it is a necessary evil for many reasons. Some folks don't have the good sense to understand that posting a picture several thousand pixels in width creates huge problems. I know that to be true because I have had to resize such pictures, although in the past, when parameters limiting picture size had not been enacted.

Keeping file size small helps those who don't have a high speed connection, so your effort is appreciated. Currently, if the board will accept an uploaded photo, it should be acceptable.

Thanks for your concern.

Harold
dcmus

Post by dcmus »

Harold_V wrote:
dcmus wrote:I've read this thread but being tech challenged I have a couple questions. I use Photobucket and another group accepts the URL. Will this cause a problem?That's the last thing I want to do:) Thanks for a great forum.
So far as I know, no, it won't create a problem, although linking pictures that are stored elsewhere tends to result in pictures that go missing.

Harold
Thanks for the reply Harold. I'm trying to figure out my Google Drive account so I can bypass Photobucket. Hopefully that will work better?
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

dcmus wrote:
Harold_V wrote:

Harold
Thanks for the reply Harold. I'm trying to figure out my Google Drive account so I can bypass Photobucket. Hopefully that will work better?
The problem with hosting off the Chaski board is that things have a way of getting lost as changes are made. That's not to suggest that it can't happen here, too, although we've had pretty decent results thus far, even with major changes of software. We're really at the mercy of the reliability of any outside source, or one's personal satisfaction with the services received. So long as the pictures remain at the site, one may or may not be better than another. As a result, I'd probably recommend that one does what is most comfortable for them. My personal choice is to not use outside sources, but that's a choice I've made because it's my comfort zone.

Harold
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

Harold_V wrote:Thanks for your concern.
Absolutely. I love this place, the people in it and their willingness to share in a pleasant way. Money can't buy that.

Thanks for being a tremendous Moderator.
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
dcmus

Post by dcmus »

20150503_134735.jpg
Testing. FINALLY!
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

I can't upload a picture. I do not have a "browse" button, only one which reads: Choose File. when I click that, I get to browse my files. I choose a photo that I've have downsized to 800 X 800 and after the downloading-in-progress window disappearsI get a message that the photo is something like 24xxx X 22xxx and too large.

Bruce