WTB: 5C collets and blocks or divider ndexing plates

Buying, selling, trading and for giving away Items of interest to the Home Machinist Community. (Non-Commercial Only) *PLEASE BE SURE TO LIST CONTACT INFORMATION AND LOCATION OF ITEM*

Moderator: Harold_V

choprboy

WTB: 5C collets and blocks or divider ndexing plates

Post by choprboy » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:33 pm

Looking for a standard set of 5C collets and hex block (dodecagon would be great), no preference on brand. Or some indexing plates I could use to make a custom index fixture. I want to cut some splined shafts and collars, but not exactly sure how I'm going to do it yet. Probably single-point broach using my mill spindle, but my rotary table isn't up to the task until I fix the brakes and slop.

SteveM

Re: WTB: 5C collets and blocks or divider ndexing plates

Post by SteveM » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:46 pm

If your indexing will be in units that go into 360, then a simple 5C spin indexer would do the job.

If you need something else, you could build something that uses a gear for indexing, and then just get a gear for whatever divisions you need.

If you want to build something that uses indexing plates, try to buy a set of three, so that you don't build your gadget to one index plate and then not be able to find any others.

Steve

choprboy

Post by choprboy » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:44 pm

Yeah, the first couple things are relatively straight forward. I already have a 5C spin indexer, but only a handful of random collets. Several of the things I need to do are a fair bit large though... 24 splines in a ~2" bore of a ~5" flange and 6 notches for a ~3" castellated nut. Easy to divide into 360 for the spin indexer, but hard to hold with a 5C collet. I also want to try cutting some custom gears at some point and those will definately not be easily dividable. So I was kind of leaning towards some indexing plates, I could build a base with spindle and mount one of my 4-jaw chucks to it.

SteveM

Post by SteveM » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:04 am

If you can find a chuck that will hold your work piece, you can make a 1" spigot to go on the back of it, then use that in a 1" collet. That would give you the ability to hold anything the chuck can hold in your spindex.

Dave Gingery wrote a book on making your own dividing head. That might give you some good ideas on how to make one. There is also the "Workshop practice series" book "dividing". I just got a copy, but have not read it yet. WPS books have a lot of old-school methods in them and probably have a quick and easy way to divide.

If you are using the holes in the plates as your divisions, remember that any error in the plate transfers one-to-one with your work piece. The advantage of a dividing head with a 40:1 worm is that if the hole is off by 1 minute of arc, the work is only affected one fortieth of it.

Whatever it is you do, post pictures and let us know how it is going.

Steve