Grizzly 24X36 lathe for sale ****SOLD****

Buying, selling, trading and for giving away Items of interest to the Home Machinist Community. (Non-Commercial Only) *PLEASE BE SURE TO LIST CONTACT INFORMATION AND LOCATION OF ITEM*

Moderator: Harold_V

Harlock

Grizzly 24X36 lathe for sale ****SOLD****

Post by Harlock » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:12 pm

For sale is a Grizzly G9249 12X36 lathe. This lathe belonged to the legendary live steam builder Harry Haas. This is a great lathe for a live steamer looking to build in 1 1/2" or 2 1/2" scale.

This lathe comes with a KDK tool post and a large number of KDK tool holders of varying types, which is a great thing to not have to worry about buying. KDK toolposts are made in the USA. Each one is reversible - you can turn them upside-down to handle left or right-handed tooling.

I have also made a custom steel block to use on the cross-slide when you do not need the compound. This greatly increases the rigidity of the lathe. I set the block to be the same height as the compound so you shouldn't have to adjust your tools when moving from one to the other.

For the headstock, the lathe comes with two four jaw chucks and a three jaw chuck, plus a face-plate. I believe the smaller four-jaw is the original and the larger one was purchased later by Harry. I have only used the larger one.

The lathe is belt driven with a back-gear for low and high speeds. All drive gears and threading gears look to be in great condition.

The lathe also comes with a toolbox of original accessories and tools, plus the manual and parts guide. There is a dead-center for the tailstock, and the steady and compound rests.

The lathe includes the custom made bench it is sitting on. The bench is much sturdier than the original sheet metal cabinets - it will also not fall over in an earthquake. There are two plys of MDF and then a 1/8" steel sheet on top of that for plenty of sturdiness and vibration absorption. Six 4X4 posts make the legs, with extra support on the headstock end.

The lathe is single-phase 220 so you can run it from your dryer outlet or direct from your breaker box, no phase converter needed.

I have gone through the lathe and tightened all the gibs and other adjustments and it cuts nicely. I used it to make some very fine safety valve parts over the last year. I'd say the only major problem is cosmetic - the paint on the lathe is fairly chipped in spots - which is a universal thing when it comes to import lathes.

Price - $2200 OBO.

Pick-up only in Tehachapi CA (100 miles NE of Los Angeles) or you hire professional machinery movers. I can get this lathe into the back of your full size pickup or trailer via the use of a hydraulic cart I have in my shop.

Lathe is sold AS-IS with no refunds. You are responsible for inspecting the machine to your satisfaction before making payment and taking delivery.

This is part of a larger tool sale: http://gallery.mikemassee.com/-/galleri ... -tool-sale

-Mike
Attachments
17-09-20_tool-sale-6603.jpg
Overview
17-09-20_tool-sale-6605.jpg
Overview W/bench. Scrap wood not included.
17-09-20_tool-sale-6596.jpg
View of carriage with compound.
17-09-20_tool-sale-6584.jpg
View of carriage with block.
17-09-20_tool-sale-6587.jpg
San Lorezo Flume & Lumber Co. #2 - "Felton"
Live Steam Photography and more - www.mikemassee.com
Contributing Editor, Live Steam Magazine
Webmaster, Allen Models of Nevada

Harlock

Re: Grizzly 24X36 lathe for sale (Southern California)

Post by Harlock » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:13 pm

More photos.
Attachments
17-09-20_tool-sale-6596.jpg
carriage with compound
17-09-20_tool-sale-6584.jpg
carriage with block
17-09-20_tool-sale-6586.jpg
Ways are in good shape!
17-09-20_tool-sale-6585.jpg

Harlock

Post by Harlock » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:14 pm

More photos:
Attachments
17-09-20_tool-sale-6591.jpg
The works...
17-09-20_tool-sale-6593.jpg
17-09-20_tool-sale-6588.jpg
17-09-20_tool-sale-6604.jpg
Lots of tool holders!
17-09-20_tool-sale-6599.jpg
Parts that shipped with the lathe.

Harlock

Post by Harlock » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:18 pm

This item has been sold.