WTB: Jaws for 8" Bison

Buying, selling, trading and for giving away Items of interest to the Home Machinist Community. (Non-Commercial Only) *PLEASE BE SURE TO LIST CONTACT INFORMATION AND LOCATION OF ITEM*

Moderator: Harold_V

kroll

WTB: Jaws for 8" Bison

Post by kroll » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:32 pm

Guys I am looking for a set of harden jaws for my 8" chuck.I can find them but I just don't have that kind of money laying around for a new set.I look on ebay but nothing so though I would try here.If you do have a set could you email me or PM me some pics and measurements?
Attachments
Jaws.jpg

spro

Re: WTB: Jaws for 8" Bison

Post by spro » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:29 pm

Hello. I have Poland Bison 8" chuck. The width is 1.175" of the hardened jaws. Your chart is for soft jaws ( 1.500 " ) The other main dimensions are the same. This chuck is from 1983. Poland became very good/excellent at making scroll chucks and don't always say Bison, Toolmex or PUTm-P8ZD on them. I hope this widens your search. :)

kroll

Post by kroll » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:36 pm

Yes sir it does thank you for passing on this information

spro

Post by spro » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:02 am

You can look at other chucks which have a round inset on the face. It is size of an American penny and is brass or copper. It wears like a copper penny so you don't easily see the shield and the buffalo. I can't really say the date is 1983 when they had both the inset emblem and the ZD #. My earlier 6" has only the PUTm #s . Remember Poland and when the wall came down. These factories were able to reach across the world and as they received the positive feedback, they had the ability to a new identity.
We have seen many newer chucks with either a sticker or inset emblem. They may be very good but their jaws may be very different from the heavier ones from Poland.

NP317

Post by NP317 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:30 am

I have been a happy customer of the Bison and Toolmex Polish tooling for many years.
While beginning to restore the Student Machine Shop at the Univ. of Washington (Seattle) Mechanical Engineering School (1997), I acquired a used Toolmex 14-40 Engine Lathe.
It was twice the weight, rigidity, and accuracy of any other 14-40 lathes later acquired new. I wish I had it at my home shop!
And 2 years ago I purchased a Bison 5-C collet chuck (D-5 mount) for my new 14-40 lathe. It is the best part of the setup. High quality and accuracy.
~RN