WTB: Jaws for 8" Bison

Buying, selling, trading and for giving away Items of interest to the Home Machinist Community. (Non-Commercial Only) *PLEASE BE SURE TO LIST CONTACT INFORMATION AND LOCATION OF ITEM*

Moderator: Harold_V

kroll

WTB: Jaws for 8" Bison

Post by kroll » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:32 pm

Guys I am looking for a set of harden jaws for my 8" chuck.I can find them but I just don't have that kind of money laying around for a new set.I look on ebay but nothing so though I would try here.If you do have a set could you email me or PM me some pics and measurements?
Attachments
Jaws.jpg

spro

Re: WTB: Jaws for 8" Bison

Post by spro » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:29 pm

Hello. I have Poland Bison 8" chuck. The width is 1.175" of the hardened jaws. Your chart is for soft jaws ( 1.500 " ) The other main dimensions are the same. This chuck is from 1983. Poland became very good/excellent at making scroll chucks and don't always say Bison, Toolmex or PUTm-P8ZD on them. I hope this widens your search. :)

kroll

Post by kroll » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:36 pm

Yes sir it does thank you for passing on this information

spro

Post by spro » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:02 am

You can look at other chucks which have a round inset on the face. It is size of an American penny and is brass or copper. It wears like a copper penny so you don't easily see the shield and the buffalo. I can't really say the date is 1983 when they had both the inset emblem and the ZD #. My earlier 6" has only the PUTm #s . Remember Poland and when the wall came down. These factories were able to reach across the world and as they received the positive feedback, they had the ability to a new identity.
We have seen many newer chucks with either a sticker or inset emblem. They may be very good but their jaws may be very different from the heavier ones from Poland.

NP317

Post by NP317 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:30 am

I have been a happy customer of the Bison and Toolmex Polish tooling for many years.
While beginning to restore the Student Machine Shop at the Univ. of Washington (Seattle) Mechanical Engineering School (1997), I acquired a used Toolmex 14-40 Engine Lathe.
It was twice the weight, rigidity, and accuracy of any other 14-40 lathes later acquired new. I wish I had it at my home shop!
And 2 years ago I purchased a Bison 5-C collet chuck (D-5 mount) for my new 14-40 lathe. It is the best part of the setup. High quality and accuracy.
~RN

tetramachine

Post by tetramachine » Tue May 15, 2018 10:07 am

The bison uses the american standard jaws (assuming 2 piece jaws). Hardened jaws always sell for high prices on ebay, soft jaws are quite cheap. I made soft jaws for my 8"
and use them very often.
Good hunting to you.
My wheels don't slow me down

SteveM

Post by SteveM » Wed May 16, 2018 7:38 pm

I would get a set of soft jaws cheap from US Shop Tools and use those until you can find hard jaws. At least you will get some use out of the chuck.

You might find that you like them so much that you forget about hard jaws.

I picked up a couple of sets of hard jaws for my 6" chuck cheap on ebay, and so far, I haven't ever taken the soft jaws off to use them.

Even when I'm not boring the soft jaws to size, I still like using them because the jaws are always parallel to the bore, and even though they were bored out at a different diameter than I might be using at the time, they still indicate pretty well - sometimes better than my three-jaw.

Steve