Making tools with my tools

The Photo Album is a place for "Shop Shots" as well as pictures and descriptions of projects that we are working on. Show off your Shops, Machines, and your Projects!

Moderator: Harold_V

Jawn

Re: First (successful) attempt at a lathe project: drill arb

Post by Jawn »

I did some more work on it today. There's still enough of a big end to grip and try turning it to 5/8".
flycutter-mill.jpg

This is how I cut the angle on the end. Just eyeballed the angle against a protractor as I clamped it. Measured diameter, then used an edge finder to put me on the mark, then figured up how far in to go to put the cutting edge of a 1/4" bit at the center. Also, I discovered I have no 1/4" bits. I thought I did... there's a 3/16" bit and a few 5/16" bits in my toolbox. Oh well. I'll get some before long.
flycutter.jpg
On the bench before I cleaned the burrs off. Still need to drill/tap for the set screws.
Patio

Post by Patio »

It is better to use a bit smaller than the slot you intend to make anyway. :) Using a bit the size of the slot you wish to make, will usually end up over sized. So you did good. The work looks good too.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Jawn

Post by Jawn »

Patio wrote:It is better to use a bit smaller than the slot you intend to make anyway. :) Using a bit the size of the slot you wish to make, will usually end up over sized. So you did good. The work looks good too.
Yeah, I'd read that somewhere. Used a 7/32" end mill to make the slot, then shaved a little off each side to make it 1/4".

Looks like Harbor Freight has a small HSS assortment that appears to have a 1/4" square bit... I'll pick that up tomorrow if it's in store.

(same set has a parting tool in it too, something else I could use).
Jawn

Post by Jawn »

I decided to go ahead and turn it down to 1/2" since the drill chuck arbor, center finder, and slotting arbor I have are all that size. Got it right on the mark this time. Also drilled and tapped for setscrews... however, I am concerned over the depth of threads (didn't have the exact recommended drill bit, went to the next 1/64" size up based on a prior experience involving a broken tap). Tap went in awfully easy, I'll thread some screws in and see how it goes. (need to pick up some setscrews tomorrow) Worst case, I redrill for a size up and put a 12-28 in instead of a 10-32.

HF did indeed have the little HSS bit kit with the 1/4" square, and it has inspired yet another project... it also came with a 1/4" round tool bit, so I'm going to make a boring bar or two to use that size/shape HSS. The QCTP I bought has a 5/8"-3/4" boring bar holder. So I cut a 5/8" bar to length, faced and chamfered the ends. Next I'll drill a hole through each end (one at 90 degrees, one at 45 degrees) and put a setscrew in each to retain the HSS bit.
Jawn

Post by Jawn »

Action shot drilling the set screw holes. So it's relevant to the original topic, see the drill arbor in use!
mill-drilling.jpg
Jawn

Re: Making tools with my tools

Post by Jawn »

I've updated the topic title to reflect the direction the thread has taken.

I've also made more goodies.

I finished the flycutter. Haven't had a chance to use it yet.
flycutter-done.jpg
I made a boring bar for the lathe. The quick change tool post I bought came with a boring bar holder for 3/4" bar and came with a 5/8" sleeve.

I started by cutting a 6" piece of 5/8" 4130 steel rod (pre-finished to 5/8"). Faced the ends, drilled a 1/4" hole at 90 degrees at one end, and 45 degrees at the other end. Drilled and tapped a M5-.8 set screw hole at a 90 degree angle from the 1/4" hole. Just need to grind a 1/4" round bit down to a half-round at the end, and shape/angle it appropriately.
boringbar625-1.jpg
boringbar625-2.jpg
boringbar625-3.jpg