Just added a Trav A Dial to my lathe

The Photo Album is a place for "Shop Shots" as well as pictures and descriptions of projects that we are working on. Show off your Shops, Machines, and your Projects!

Moderator: Harold_V

ksierens

Just added a Trav A Dial to my lathe

Post by ksierens »

Just finished adding a Trav (A) Dial to my Craftsman 12"x 24" lathe, and thought I would share some pictures in case anyone else was thinking about doing this. I was very lucky to get this one at a great price, wish I could afford to put them on all my machines. Love keeping my toys old school, without DRO's, since I do not make a living with them.

BadDog

Re: Just added a Trav A Dial to my lathe

Post by BadDog »

I've got a DRO, and I would love a trav-a-dial, if I could find one that wasn't (IMO) crazy expensive. Looking at a DRO is nice for the cross slide, just dial in the cut (following normal proper practice). Much easier to set zero, then work in increments (and re-zero if convenient), or figure out how far you are from your target size and key that in and go (allowing for flex). Much easier than to try to figure out exactly where your next cut needs to be on the dial relative to achieving desired size. But on long travel, other than for final cuts on shoulder steps or faced lengths, the DRO is less useful. Hard to track running digital numbers as you are approaching, say, an inner step or bottom. Tracking and predicting the timing based on an analog arm sweep is SO much easier. Perhaps as DROs move to more LCD or similar technologies they will incorporate a digital depiction of an analog sweep with a few different modes for referencing for how you are applying the DRO values. That would be sweet...

In any case, very nice work, and congrats on the new upgrade!
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
jcfx

Post by jcfx »

Excuse my ignorance but what does a Trav A Dial do ?
I'm guessing that it gives you a numerical reading of carriage travel ?
ksierens

Post by ksierens »

It's like an infinite dial indicator for the carriage.
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

What does it index on?
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

It doesn't really. It's got a kind of gear that tracks along the side of the front way. Surprised me the first time I saw one, but apparently they are quite accurate when adjusted correctly.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
spro

Post by spro »

Wowzers! I'm particularly impressed with the custom fit. It took commitment to remove and basically strip the apron for the modifications, in order to retain the thread dial. That side of the flat way is really straight and true.
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

My first thought was that maybe it used the lead screw, but that didn't seem like it would work; a gear makes sense.
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

It's actually a wheel with a convex face that runs against the side of the way.

The reason that it is convex is that you calibrate it by tilting it.

If it is perpendicular to the way, the largest diameter of the wheel rides against the way, but if you tilt it up or down a smaller diameter rides against the way, which alters the reading for a set distance.

I have one in a box...somewhere...that came with my lathe.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
ksierens

Post by ksierens »

spro wrote:Wowzers! I'm particularly impressed with the custom fit. It took commitment to remove and basically strip the apron for the modifications, in order to retain the thread dial. That side of the flat way is really straight and true.
Thanks for the kind words, figuring it out is half the fun!
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

I remember the convex surface and tilting it to calibrate it, but I seem to recall it's got vertical/lateral lines/grooves along it's circumference. If my memory is correct, describing it as a kind of gear might not be right be ideal, but not something I have the vocabulary to describe.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

BadDog wrote:I remember the convex surface and tilting it to calibrate it, but I seem to recall it's got vertical/lateral lines/grooves along it's circumference. If my memory is correct, describing it as a kind of gear might not be right be ideal, but not something I have the vocabulary to describe.
It's been 50 years since I used one, but I don't recall any kind of pattern on the wheel. Doesn't mean they haven't tried a pattern, however, as they may have experimented with the concept. Any deviations from a uniform surface could prove a bad idea, as it could alter the true reading.

The time I spent on the machine so equipped was brief, but I learned to like using the device. If it wasn't for the use of flood coolant, I'd have added one to my lathe years ago. Instead, I use a long travel indicator housed in a plastic bag. Works just fine, keeps the indicator dry.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.