Soft Jaws

The Photo Album is a place for "Shop Shots" as well as pictures and descriptions of projects that we are working on. Show off your Shops, Machines, and your Projects!

Moderators: Harold_V, WJH

SteveM

Re: Soft Jaws

Post by SteveM » Thu May 31, 2018 10:38 pm

A friend asked me to drill a hole in the center of about 30 stainless steel caps.

Bored the soft jaws to the needed diameter with a should to hold them with the face perpendicular and we knocked them off in no time.

Steve

Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:13 pm

Steve, thanks for posting this write up. Many people have commented on soft jaws but I’ve never seen an actual description and photos of parts made with them that made sense. The workholding really points out how to make these things work and how they can be used.

Very beneficial.

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....

GlennW

Post by GlennW » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:00 pm

I found a 40" length of aluminum bar just waiting to be useful...

DSC01091.jpg
I'll de-bur them as I use them.

That should do it for soft jaws for quite a while, and the CNC mill is quite happy.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!

GlennW

Post by GlennW » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:59 pm

2" bushings needed shortening as well as ID and OD changed.

Needed .002" off of the OD, so the soft jaws were pre-loaded and cut to accept the bushing flange. The bushings then ran dead concentric to the spindle axis, so shaving .002" from the OD was easy.
DSC01094.jpg
Now the ID gets sized.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!