Moryia fan finished, finally

The Photo Album is a place for "Shop Shots" as well as pictures and descriptions of projects that we are working on. Show off your Shops, Machines, and your Projects!

Moderator: Harold_V

Orrin

Moryia fan finished, finally

Post by Orrin »

After a two year hiatus, I finally finished my 2X scale Moryia fan. It made its first two showings this past weekend and drew a great deal of interest. It can be seen on my Web site. Scroll down to the bottom of the page to see it in its finished state. Internet Explorer users will have to press the F-11 function key to get the full benefit of the larger views.

http://users.moscow.com/oiseming/lc_ant_p/pic_Prj1.htm

[img]/ubb/images/graemlins/cool.gif"%20alt="[/img]Orrin
So many projects, so little time.
Steve_in_Mich

Re: Moryia fan finished, finally

Post by Steve_in_Mich »

Very nice! Lots of TLC in your project.
I do have a couple of questions; 1.) What RPM will the fan typically turn? and 2.) What is the blade guard designed to keep out? (it must be big whatever it is)
I was struck by the fact that the blade is "guarded" but not the crank.
Just because you don’t believe it - doesn’t mean it’s not so.
mike_thomas

Post by mike_thomas »

Nice work Orrin. Mike
cprucha

Post by cprucha »

Hi Orrin,

Great job on the fan project. The workmanship looks awesome. Spent some time browsing around your website. It's very well done. Thanks for putting the project up for all to see. See ya, Craig...
Registered Linux User #157284
Orrin

Post by Orrin »

The RPM of the fan depends upon how much heat is applied. The alcohol burner keeps it running at a nice, satisfying speed and creates enough of a cooling breeze for demonstration purposes. I estimate that my "show" speed is around 300 RPM. Whatever it is, it's comparabale to similar fans I've seen, here and there.

Because of the long stroke and very short displacer connecting rod, the engine is one of inherently low speed. Before attaching the fan blades, I gave it a speed run with a temporary flywheel attached and a propane torch for a heat source. It really moved out; but, what's the point? It would be foolish to invest a lot of time in a project such as this and then pound it to pieces by running it fast.

The fan guard is a typical "period" design. It is very similar to the original Lake Breeze guard that only had eight wires in front of the blades. Mine has ten. The Kyko, on the other hand, didn't have any front wires. It merely had two hoops around the periphery of the blades. The pictures in the link shows Wade Connell's accurate rendition of a Kyko. Note the guard.

http://users.moscow.com/oiseming/lc_ant_p/pic_Ctn1.htm

Scroll down a bit more and you'll see Wade's Lake Breeze. It, like mine, has ten guard wires.

Except for the counterweights and the doubled size, the fan followed Dr. Senft's design which didn't include a crank guard.

BTW, Dr. Senft has only heard of one other 2X Moriya engine and it was built at a school in England. Used experimentally, it didn't have fan blades. Therefore, mine is the only complete 2X Moriya he knows of.

Orrin

Post by Orrin »

Thank you for your kind and gracious words, Craig. Coming from the person who has my all-time favorite Web site, they have a special meaning for me.

For those of you who haven't been there, I highly recommend you spend some time at Craig's site. Follow his restorations of some huge old iron and you'll learn a great deal about machine work.

http://www.antique-engine.com/

Enjoy.

Scott

Post by Scott »

Orrin,besides the hi level of craftsmanship,The thing I like best,is you don't have to plug it in! [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/grin.gif"%20alt="[/img] Very nice work.
cprucha

Post by cprucha »

Hi Orrin,

Sorry I haven't replied sooner. Just wanted to say thanks for the kind words on my website. It's great to know people like yourself are checking them out and enjoying them. I do enjoy this forum and learn a lot from it. The guys that participate really know their stuff. Do you know if it's okay to promote this forum on our webpages? Would like to put a link to it from mine. Well thanks again, Craig...
Registered Linux User #157284
Orrin

Post by Orrin »

I'm sure a link would be acceptable. IIRC, I've linked it.

Hmmm, maybe I'd better check, just to make sure.

Orrin