Clausing 5900 Lathe converted to DC motor

The Photo Album is a place for "Shop Shots" as well as pictures and descriptions of projects that we are working on. Show off your Shops, Machines, and your Projects!

Moderator: Harold_V

fredwhite

Clausing 5900 Lathe converted to DC motor

Post by fredwhite »

Motor is 2HP 180V DC. Conversion uses original VS jackshaft pulley ( which stays in its fully closed position ). Original jackshaft retains factory clutch and brake.

Max spindle speed is approximately 900RPM and minimum speed is set to allow most threading to be done in direct drive.

( Note conversion of motor door to hinges using existing holes in base )
Matt_Isserstedt

Re: Clausing 5900 Lathe converted to DC motor

Post by Matt_Isserstedt »

Fred, excellent conversion I must say. Also I am impressed by the paint job and hinges on your lathe...nice touch!

Just curious if you run inserted carbide tools, and if so do you find 900 rpms fast enough to keep them happy? According to the dial on my OE mechanical VS (BS?) setup I try to run 1000 rpm - 1500 rpm depending on the size of the work (roughly work 1-1/2" dia or smaller).

Also a related question regarding inserted carbides and threading. I try to run fast when threading to make the on-edge insert do what I think it should do, just wondered if you perceived an improvement in the thread finish by being able to run in direct.
fredwhite

Re: Clausing 5900 Lathe converted to DC motor

Post by fredwhite »

Matt-

I may be doing it wrong, but I run almost entirely carbide inserts and run less than 900 RPM - probably 5-600 RPM.

I use on edge triangular carbide inserts for threading and am satisfied. A lot has to do with the material as to thread quality - if its small threads ( less than 1/2) and I want a good finish, I get close on the lathe and finish with a hex threading die.

I can't really tell if the finish is better in direct drive than back gear - it's just a lot nicer to cut that way and I can run a little faster than I did in back gear ( just cause I hated the noise of the gears as the speed went up ).