Home built sinking EDM

The Photo Album is a place for "Shop Shots" as well as pictures and descriptions of projects that we are working on. Show off your Shops, Machines, and your Projects!

Moderator: Harold_V

JimGlass

Home built sinking EDM

Post by JimGlass »

This is a 3 axis sinking EDM I made. The power supply was made from the plans in a book "build an EDM"
by Robert Langlois. It can burn a 1/2" square hole through 3/4" steel in about 1 hours. Outstanding for removing broken taps. The downfeed is run by a 90-v DC gear motor and controlled by a programable controller. Head returns to top when burn depth is reached. It is totaly automated.
Jim
Tool & Die Maker/Electrician, Retired 2007

So much to learn and so little time.

www.outbackmachineshop.com
Bryan

Re: Home built sinking EDM

Post by Bryan »

Go Jim !!!
You need a folder of your own, to display all that wonderful home-made shop equipment... I hope you get great satisfaction from these achievements...
[b]Bryan[/b]
[i]"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."[/i] Leonardo da Vinci (1452-1519)
dkinzer

Re: Home built sinking EDM

Post by dkinzer »

I received a notification from powells.com today that the Langlois book is back in stock. It appears that they currently have two at $18.00 each. If you live near Portland, OR you might be able to snag one without paying shipping (they're at the Technical store) but it's more likely that online purchasers will get them. I recently got a copy from another source (ABE Books) so I am passing this on to other interested parties.

Here is a link to Powell's page for the book:
http://www.powells.com/cgi-bin/biblio?i ... 41653528-0
Don