Pratt Whitney milling machine progress!

The Photo Album is a place for "Shop Shots" as well as pictures and descriptions of projects that we are working on. Show off your Shops, Machines, and your Projects!

Moderator: Harold_V

Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

Re: Pratt Whitney milling machine progress!

Post by Marty_Escarcega »

Hi Jim, I was wondering where you were at on this project. Thanks for the update, looks like its close!
Marty
"Jack of all Trades, Master of None"
jim rozen

Post by jim rozen »

Cosmetic resoration basically done. It now has new felt wipers as well.

The only substantial issue in terms of running it, it needs to have the
overarm support fabricated. But I can try it out once the following
are done:

1) base

2) motor

3) drive

I am sort of leaning towards a solid wooden base, to reduce vibration.
But it did come with a metal support base which might be improved a bit
and put into use so I can get it running soon.

Maybe a vise, as well!
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

jim rozen wrote:I am sort of leaning towards a solid wooden base, to reduce vibration.
That brought memories of a Gorton 8-D that was procured by Sperry when they progressed to the production stage of the missile. The 8-D is a small vertical, best operated by sitting. This one, however, came with a terribly ugly wooden base. The machine was totally clapped out, but we had a repair man that was outstanding at scraping. He restored the machine, scraping all of the way surfaces, including the knee, replacing the screws and nuts. It went from being totally useless to one of the most precise machines in the shop. Still had the ugly wooden base, but worked extremely well. Were it not for that experience, I'd suggest you lose the idea of wood.

Do keep us updated on your progress!

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.