Trying to control the clutter !

The Photo Album is a place for "Shop Shots" as well as pictures and descriptions of projects that we are working on. Show off your Shops, Machines, and your Projects!

Moderator: Harold_V

coal miner

Trying to control the clutter !

Post by coal miner »

I have the darn'est time keeping my shop and machines half way neat and clean . I'm the only one in it , so it's my fault . One thing that really bugged me was the stuff that I would pile on top of the spindle gearbox .

Had made a shelf to hold the QCTP holders , but the other tools that one needs always ended up piled on the top . No rocket science here , but it sure helps me to keep things where I can at least find them . Of course they have to be put in their proper place ! Notice where the 2 chuck keys go .

Now to get things organized at my work bench .

A never ending battle .
The more I learn , The more I don't know !
ftgmx

Re: Trying to control the clutter !

Post by ftgmx »

Very nice shelf. I have the same clutter issue in my shop. I think I am going out to do a control cleanup right now.
Shawn
Make chips, clean...Repeat.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Looks good!

I've always considered spherical counter tops and table tops so I wouldn't be tempted to set things down on them.

A round top lathe headstock would also be included in the update!
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
jim rozen

Post by jim rozen »

Sometimes the tricks don't have to be fancy - here's a bit of wood and a few nails put to
use holding my QC toopost items:

I was always getting these in a jumble before doing this.

Jim
JackF

Post by JackF »

coal miner,

Your lathe looks zakly like my Grizzly 0554 except mine doesn't have that back shelf. I will take care of that monday. :) The cover on my gearbox looks just like yours too. :lol: That new shelf will fix some of that.

Jack.
coal miner

Post by coal miner »

JackF , I believe every lathe merchant sold this style of lathe . I have seen them listed w/ Jet ,Grizzly , Enco , Precision Mathews , Harbor Freight , and several others . Don't know if there is any different quality issues between the sellers or not , but I have been very happy w/ mine . As a matter of fact I ordered several shear pins and some plastic handles from Grizzly and they fit just fine , also have the parts list , exploded view , and operators manual besides the Jet parts listings and etc. on the laptop . I can't see any difference in the parts by comparing the two part lists .

The shelf holding the QCTP pieces is just bolted down to the back splash upright and the gearbox top has a piece of aluminum attached w/ magnets to keep things sliding off of the back . The neodium magnets are so cool and very handy . Keeps my chuck keys on the drill presses where I can find them , they hold various items on the mill and and plastic over the ways for protection . E-bay has all kinds of sellers and very good prices . I think I buy from a seller in Tx. , they are handier than a pocket on a shirt .

Glenn Wegman wrote:Looks good!

I've always considered spherical counter tops and table tops so I wouldn't be tempted to set things down on them.
Sigh , couldn't do that , got to have stack room !!
jim rozen wrote:Sometimes the tricks don't have to be fancy
Nothing near as fancy as some of the stuff you do ! I study your posts and all the pics . Thanks for sharing them .
The more I learn , The more I don't know !