Patio's projects

The Photo Album is a place for "Shop Shots" as well as pictures and descriptions of projects that we are working on. Show off your Shops, Machines, and your Projects!

Moderator: Harold_V

Patio

Re: Patio's projects

Post by Patio »

I got a little more time in the shop yesterday. I am not progressing very fast but it has been steady, by jerks, lately. :) Here is the results.

I don't know if I am using the right terminology here not, so chime in if I get it wrong.

I got the anvil for the break press done. Now I need to make a die for it to go into. I will need to figure out the width of the die to get my proper radius. At this moment, I am not sure of how that is figured out, but I will learn.

Here are the pictures.
Using some of the exercise machine weights, for stock. This is the set up I used to get an angle, less than 90*. I used a scribe to make a line down the center of the stock. Cut to the line, then flipped it over and cut to the line again.
20140806_175310a.jpg
The finished product mounted on the press. In this picture you can see some of the weights I use for stock setting on the press bed.
20140806_221523a.jpg
Things are going to get busy for the next couple of weekends, so I am not sure how much time I will get in the shop, unless I find time after work. Thanks for looking. I hope you guys are having as much fun watching me muddle through as I am doing it!

More to come, I hope!
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

Sometimes the machines get in the way of progress!
After spending all the time setting up to make the press break to make the retainer I needed for the clutch on the bike, I found out that it can not be made using a break, because I can't make the bend in opposite directions that close together. The press break will be used to make a box, for the VFD controls, I think, so it is not a waste. In the end I used the band saw, grinder, hammer, vise and a cold chisel to get it done. I did used the mill to drill the holes while holding the part by hand. :)

I traced the part on a piece of paper, set the compass for the radius of the drawing, set the new material over the tracing and transferred the arch onto the new material. I cut it out on the band saw, then to the grinder to shape it. I then secured it in a bench vise, beat it into shape with a hammer and drilled the holes. Then I stuck in on a food scale and ground 4 grams off to get it to match the weight of the others. A little time on the wire wheel to remove and sharp burrs, back to the scale to confirm weight and it was done. It took about an hour. :)

Here are some pictures.
20140808_162022a.jpg
20140808_175424a.jpg
Test fit.
20140808_175627a.jpg
The part fits well and should work.

More to come.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
JackF

Post by JackF »

Pat, that came out beautiful. :D :D

Jack.
Patio

Post by Patio »

Thanks Jack!
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

Then again, sometimes we get in the way of ourselves. That little clip that I just posted about, that I had made. I found the original! Sometimes I wonder. :oops:

I have made a little more progress, on the bike build.
First off, here is a picture of the clutch being installed. There is a big spring behind this plate. The bar and screw compress the whole mess so one can get the brackets and nuts installed.
20140808_201234a.jpg
Here is a picture of all the brackets and nuts, installed in their proper configuration. The chain tension roller is installed also. The chain tension roller is not a stock part. The stock part uses a nylon type shoe for the chain to run over. This is a high end after market part, I will see how it works once I get it running. If I like it, I will put it in my other motor.
20140812_130859a.jpg
This is a close up of the chan tension roller. It has a double row of ball bearings inside. The hole in the end allows the oil to enter the center of the roller.
20140812_130915a.jpg
I also got the pistons and jugs installed the other day.
20140821_203311a.jpg
I am now in the process of disassembling the heads and rocker boxes to make sure everything is in good order. I have gone to far at this point with everything else, not to make sure they are good to go.

Some time soon I will need to quit playing with the toys and get a few things done before winter sets in. Like running some power to the lathe for the VFD install and getting air to the milling machine. Right now I just run the hose across the entire shop to get air to the mill. Not a handy set up. Then there is the house work that needs some attention before winter too, so I will do what I can when I can.

I hope this post find everyone in good health and spirits.

More to come!
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
JackF

Post by JackF »

Everything is looking good Pat. Sometimes I find myself wishing there were 48 hours in s day so I could get everything done that needs to get done. :roll: :lol:

Jack.
Patio

Post by Patio »

This is not a project of mine, although I help sometimes. It is my twin brothers project, a CNC router.
The link will take you to a video of it. It is not finished, but is getting close.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/v1z7tk8cmftdh ... 7.mp4?dl=0

He is running it manually with the keyboard in this video. The crunching noise you may hear, is caused by a misalignment of a set of bearings. He is going to bring the bearing blocks over and we will machine them to a proper dimension.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

Sunday I had some free time and felt like making something with the machines. So I made a spring center, for tapping in the mill and lathe. I made it .5" diameter so it would fit in my tailstock drill chuck. It was a simple build and is made form 12L14. It gave me another chance at practicing turning to size.
Here are the pictures of it.
20140907_175307a.jpg
20140907_175340a.jpg
Next is to build a box for the controls, for the VFD, for the lathe. I have an idea, I will let you know how it comes out. :)
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
JackF

Post by JackF »

Nice job Pat, I've been meaning to make on of those for years. If I want to make one before the move I had better get started. :roll: :wink: :lol:

Jack.
Patio

Post by Patio »

Thanks for the nice comments Jack.
If I actually made "good" use of my time, everything would be done by now. I do have a "I don't feel like doing much of anything but taking a nap" problem sometimes.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

I have the box for the VFD controls mostly made. I did not take a lot of pictures of how I made it, but I do have a picture of a mock up, with the controls temporarily installed.
The box was made from a piece of al. that I had laying around. It was in the shape of a box fan, housing. I cut it up on the table saw to make two pieces, when put together form four sides of a box. The top and bottom were cut from the same material, with the flanges removed. This may or may not make sense. I will be posting more pictures as I complete the project, they may bring to light what I am trying to convey.

Here is a picture of the mock up of the box. I need to clean the layout paint from the box yet.
20140918_193057a.jpg
The controls will sit where the existing, forward and reverse switch, sits now. It is wider than the existing controls and will hang out to the right, away from the headstock.
20140918_192902a.jpg
That is it for this evening. I need to collect a few more parts and run some wire yet.
I think I will be making a plate for the sportster soon also. Lots of projects to do. :)
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

I have been looking for a scissor jack for some time. Well I found one. I got it from a friend that recycles RV's. I need it to jack up the front or back end of my bike, while it is on the work bench. This will allow me to work on the front or rear axles. They come ready to work with a long rod that one spins around to operate the jack, this was not going to work for me. I modified it to accept a 7/8" wrench or socket.

Here are the pictures.
As I got it.
20140928_110844a.jpg
Old part and new part.
20140928_143204a.jpg
How I am going to operate it.
20140928_143516a.jpg
In use.
20140928_143708a.jpg
Besides what I might need for the axles and brakes, I have most of the parts for the build gathered.
More to come.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!