Patio's projects

The Photo Album is a place for "Shop Shots" as well as pictures and descriptions of projects that we are working on. Show off your Shops, Machines, and your Projects!

Moderator: Harold_V

Patio

Re: Patio's projects

Post by Patio »

Hello everybody! :)

The sprocket I fixed up for my brother worked out and he is now using his planer! :)

I got some time in the shop today and got a couple of projects done.

The first one is a new chuck wrench, for the 3 jaw. I use the three jaw a lot, because it is capable of soft jaws. I did not get a chuck wrench with it when I acquired it, so I made one, right away. It is still usable, but not very well. I did not make the t-handle bar large or long, enough. Now when I use it I also use the tailstock wrench to get it tight enough, and it has cause the t-handle to bend. I was in the mood to turn something today, and this is what I made.

Both are made from mild steel. On the right end of the t-handle is a small area I turned down .002" smaller to help with the press fit, making it easier to line up.
20140215_205312a.jpg
I started out with some hot rolled square stock, so it took a bit to get it to size, but it is what was on hand.
20140215_124744a.jpg
Once I got one end down to size, I flipped it around, and used the three jaw, with a center for support. Turned it to shape, filed it for finish. I don't have a set of dogs to turn between centers yet.
20140215_143726a.jpg
Parted it off!
20140215_144100a.jpg
Next I used a piece of 5/8" hot rolled for the t-handle. I used a wire wheel to remove the scale so I could use a collet. This gives me more room between centers, and move things closer to the headstock. I missed my mark on making it .500" and it ended up to small for a .500" reamed hole, which was the plan. :oops: I had not drilled the hole yet, I tried for another mark and missed that too. At that moment I knew I could bore a hole to what every was required, for a press fit, no matter what size the part became. I hit, lightly with a file to get a better finish, as mild steel does not finish well. Being I was having so much problem hitting my sizes today, I tuned a small section on the end of the handle a couple thousandths smaller, figuring I could use it as a go/no go gage.
20140215_172208a.jpg
Only 5 pictures allowed per page, go down to the next post for the rest of the story!
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

Go up one post to see the beginning of this project.

I cut the four flats using the indexing head and tailstock. I didn't take any pictures of that. I then flipped the body around and bored the through hole, for the handle.
20140215_204247a.jpg
Here it is all done. In this picture you can see the soda can shims I use to protect the finish of the part, while in the three jaw.
20140215_205154a.jpg
Another little project I did today was making a fine feed hand wheel for the mill. I acquired a small hand wheel at an estate sale, but the center hole is to small, so while I had the boring head in the mill, I made the wheel fit. The wheel was originally made with a tapered pin set up, for mounting. I drilled and tapped the larger of the holes to take a grub screw. Then I bored the center out for a slip fit on the mill.
20140215_215639a.jpg
20140215_220506a.jpg

My latest score was some brass material, I got at the scrappers. The piece on the left is a short section of a propeller shaft that was 1" dia X 55" long. The piece on the right is 1.5"X9.25".

It was a nice day in the shop, and I may get some time tomorrow too. :)
More to come.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

I got some more time in the shop, then the niece with her 8 month old boy and nearly 3 year old daughter came over for dinner, so she could pick up a computer I fixed for her. It was a nice day. :)

Today in the shop I assembled the oil pump for the sportster motor I am working on. I also needed and .020 to .025" spacer for the kicker shaft. I do not have one, so I made one. I had a piece of cold rolled that had the right size OD and ID dimensions, but was about 3/4" thick. Break out the soft jaws! I turned a pocket in the soft jaws that was .020" deep, then turned the piece down till it was just proud of the pocket, measure and using a dial indicator on the saddle I could take off what was needed. It worked out really well. It is also the thinnest part I have ever made. :)

Here are the pictures.
20140216_164343a.jpg
20140216_165931a.jpg
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
JackF

Post by JackF »

Nice work Pat, as usual. :D

Jack.
Patio

Post by Patio »

What do I like about having a lathe? Everything! :)

Tonight was a simple fix of an inexpensive part.
I hang my blow gun on my garage door, when it is closed, so it is convenient to get to, while working with the lathe. I have the garage door opener adjust to be pretty sensitive, allowing me to open it from some distance. The problem is that the VFD for my mill will sometimes trigger it unexpectedly. Once when this happened while my blow gun was hanging on it, and the tip got broken off the gun. So tonight I fixed it.

Parted the bad end off and made some new threads on it.
Here are the pictures.
20140224_210009a.jpg
20140224_210054a.jpg
Saved another tool from the scrap heap! :)
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
spro

Post by spro »

I am totally impressed and then only comment on the last. A blow gun as this, is more useful if the nozzle is copper tube. It can be bent around and in many things. To someone else it may be drilling out a nozzle but the fittings exist to mate a fitting to the gun head where one wrench changes it to another.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Spro! Thats one of my patent secrets, I have a few diferent nozzles for reach and angle. Mine are with a special gun and have the quick Milton fittings. The check valve guts are taken out as the gun has the valve. Its nice to get 2 feet away from flying grime and dirt and clean what you need. 8)
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
Patio

Post by Patio »

Funny thing is, my air gun is broken again. :shock: :oops: I may need to make one of those secret, patented, copper tube extension thingy's. :)

Today I spent the evening in the shop with a friends son. (Harold, it is Loren's son, Tyler.) He is a senior in High school and for shop class he is making some, car, shift knobs. They are laminated wood, which he has turned on a wood lathe in school. Tonight we made some aluminum threaded inserts, that he will epoxy into the turned knobs. I did not take any pictures, as the focus was on his education and getting it done. When he brings the finished product over, so I can see them, I will try to remember to take some pictures. His dad is a bit of an entrepreneur, and has passed that on to his son. He is selling them for 40 buck each, and has back orders. :lol: The part I like is the fact that he is genuinely interested in learning, the little bit I know.

All and all it was a good night!
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Patio wrote:Today I spent the evening in the shop with a friends son. (Harold, it is Loren's son, Tyler.)
If he's anything like his father, he's a gem.

Well done, Patio. All of us need to do what we can to help the younger set in learning to work with their hands.

To this day I keep asking myself, what the hell were they thinking when we were told that we no longer had need for such things in this country?

(I'll stop with that comment, as it gets political real fast!)

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
JackF

Post by JackF »

I,m watching Mike Rowe (Dirty Jobs) on Fox Business Channel as I type this promoting "mikeroweWorks Foundation" . Among other things this foundation give scholarships to kids for vocational schools in addition to trying to get shop classes back into High Schools.

Jack.
RCW

Post by RCW »

JackF wrote:I,m watching Mike Rowe (Dirty Jobs) on Fox Business Channel as I type this promoting "mikeroweWorks Foundation" . Among other things this foundation give scholarships to kids for vocational schools in addition to trying to get shop classes back into High Schools.

Jack.
That is a worthy cause!

Bob
Cary Stewart

Post by Cary Stewart »

Hello Patio,
A few weeks ago I received a PM from you. When I tried to open it I was totally blocked from Chaski. I think the subject was Unimats. I would be happy to help if I can. I will PM you with my primary Email address. Contact me there. Cary