Patio's projects

The Photo Album is a place for "Shop Shots" as well as pictures and descriptions of projects that we are working on. Show off your Shops, Machines, and your Projects!

Moderator: Harold_V

Patio

Re: Patio's projects

Post by Patio »

This is a bit of the chicken or the egg, story.

So I was thinking, I would like to be able to turn between centers. To do it properly I need a drive plate, which I have. So I got it out, (I have never used it), and installed it on the lathe(SB Heavy 10). I do not have the sleeve that adapts the spindle taper to a Morse taper, but I do have a collet and draw bar. The collet adapter would not fit with the drive plate installed, so I turned a bit of relief in the plate so the adapter would fit, and while at it, I faced the drive plate, in case I wanted to use it as a face plate someday. No problems there. I put a center I have in the collet and turned it while in place, so I knew it was on axis. Now I just needed a drive dog. That I do not have, so I thought I would make one. After thinking about what I had on hand, that I could make one from, I grabbed a bit of 1/2" steel plate figuring I could cut a hole in the center, run a grub screw through the side, to hold the part and bolt a arm perpendicular to the plate, to engage the dog plate. The material I would like to turn is 1.75" in diameter, so I bored a 2" hole in the plate and then started doing a little lay out on the remaining plate. I would like this to be smooth in nature, not having any sharp corner flying around for me to get caught on, and would like the corners that transition to the extended arm to be a nice radius also, to prevent stress risers in the part. After I had i all laid out, it looked like a good job for my 50 dollar, 12" inch rotary table, that I have never had a chance to use yet. Getting the rotary table on the mill table was not easy either as it was setting on the floor. I worked it onto my motorcycle lift, that would get it part way there, and then I was able to lift it from there to the milling machine table. I will need to arrange a different method, as I am not getting any younger. Once the rotary table was on the mill and all indicated in, I realized that the T-nuts in the hold down set for the mill, are to large for the rotary table. Soooo, I moved the rotary off to the side and am now in the process of making a set of T-nuts that are small enough for the rotary table but will use the other pieces to the mills hold down set.

I know most of the things I do at the moment are pretty simple for most of you seasoned machinist, but I have learned an awful lot form all you guys, and figure that some of the people new to the hobby might like to see how simple things are done. So these are my contribution to the board. I hope it helps. If nothing else It might be entertaining, to some watching me struggle along, as I figure this stuff out.

Here are some pictures, of where I am at now, for your viewing pleasure!
Boring the hole. I don't have large drills yet.
20140624_231204a.jpg
This is the layout I came up with, for the dog.
20140626_210911a.jpg
Rotary table, with sacrificial plate. I may get a thinner piece of plate from my brother and save this one for something better suited.
20140626_210902a.jpg
I have some old weights from an exercise machine, that I am going to make the T-nuts from. I cut an edge off on the horizontal band saw in the vertical position.
20140626_201408a.jpg
Some milling.
20140626_210841a.jpg
Next post!
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

Set up for the drilling and tapping.
20140626_221252a.jpg
That is as far as I have gotten. I will post the rest of the project as it moves along.
The only reason I have gotten this far is, it is raining and my fence project is on hold. :?

More to come!
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Just a thought, but for the dog, leave a lump on the side opposite to somewhat balance the drive tail. The locking bolt may somewhat provide for balance, but it will never be perfect, in part because the shaft seats offset in the drive dog, unless you make multiple close fitting dogs (or bushings) to keep the shaft location relatively consistent.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
Patio

Post by Patio »

Baddog, had I read you post before I completed the part, I may have done that. The other thing I thought about after finishing the part is that most dogs have a tear drop shaped hole in the middle. I believe that is so that there are three points of contact on the stock, of any size, for better grip. The way mine is made there is only two. I may put two set screws in this to get three points of contact.

This is where I am at, at the moment.

I drilled and tapped and cut the T-nuts for the rotary table. Then to the belt sander for deburring. I made six of them and have a six inch bar left over that has not been drilled of tapped yet, but will be ready if I need any special T-nuts.
20140628_171148a.jpg
It was plenty difficult to secure the part to the rotary table as was, I can't imagine what I would have done with a smaller one. I may need to make a tooling plate for future projects. :)
20140628_192514a.jpg
I had started to cut off the extra material, until I figured out that the mark I needed to make the radius was on the material I was fixing to cut off. In this picture you can see the one cut that was taken and to the left, is the punch mark I used to locate the center of my radius.
20140628_200147a.jpg
This is the finished part, once I had smoothed the corners and deburred it on the belt sander. It is not very well done, being the tongue is a bit narrower than I wanted and the part had moved on the table, so the outside circumference is not as concentric to the center hole as I wanted.
20140628_205414a.jpg
Now I need to make the arm that I will bolt to this part, drill and tap some holes for the set screws and test it to see if it will work.
There was no planning, just an idea in my head. Had I drawn this out and done a bit of planning I may have gotten a better part.
I know I can buy a set of dogs for not to much money, and I will someday, but for now this is just a good excuse to use the rotary table and get some more practice.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
ken572

Post by ken572 »

Good Morning :!: Patio :D

That is coming along quite well, and it's also

nice to see you Having Fun, and Being Creative. :wink: 8)

Ken. :)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
Patio

Post by Patio »

I have gotten more time in the shop.
I finished the lathe dog, and it works fine.
One of the reasons I made the dog was so I could make a adapter for the spindle of my lathe, that would allow me to stick a #2 morse taper, dead center in the spindle for turning between centers. I started to make the adapter, and after about 3 days of working on it after work, I gave up. The live center I have is a cheap one, and now I know why. It has about .003" of run out. I may take this project up again someday in the future, but for now I am done with this one.

Here is a picture of the lathe dog with the a fore mentioned part. This is the picture gallery after all!
20140706_175543a.jpg
With this failed attempt at making a part, I figured I should get back on to my Sportster rebuild project. I was messing with installing the cams and had installed a press fit gear onto the pinion shaft. Once I had it installed I realized that it needs to be clocked properly with the breather valve, and it wasn't. Now I needed to get the gear back off of the shaft. That take me to my latest project, which I finished tonight.

Here is a drawing of the puller I needed.
20140720_164623a.jpg
Here is the gear that needs pulling.
20140720_164653a.jpg
Go to the next post for the rest of the story, as there is a 5 picture limit, per post.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

I started with a piece of 304 stainless that I have laying around, by drilling to depth, with the 9/16th, tap drill size of 33/64. Then I bored out to the 1" diameter. Then is was time to bore the center cavity out, large enough to accommodate the gear. For that I used an internal threading tool I had made last year. Once that was done I used a woodruff key cutter to create the sharp lip at the backside of the opening.

Internal threading tool used for boring.
20140720_203318a.jpg
Woodruff key cutter held in boring bar holder for cutting back side of opening.
20140720_204704a.jpg
I just realized that I had not taken any more pictures until the project was finished.

Once this operation was done, I shaped the outside, using the compound, set at an angle. Then I parted it off, flipped the part around in the chuck and tapped the end to 9/16 X 12. Then it was to the mill and dividing head. Awhile back a made an adapter that will allow me to screw my three jaw chuck, with a 2.25"X8 thread, onto the dividing head with 1.5"X? threaded spindle. I then milled the hex to take a 3/4" wrench to hold the puller from spinning. Then I milled away, half the diameter of the part.
It did not fit right away, and took some fiddling to get to work. It did work and I got the gear off. :) With the gear in hand I did some more machining on the puller for a better fit. It will work well now, and I will need it again on the other motor I have that needs some love.

Here are the pictures of the finished puller.
20140721_215007a.jpg
20140721_215059a.jpg
With the gear it is made for, setting in it.
20140721_215138a.jpg
Here it is in use.

Things did not go as planned! The slot with the round end, was so that the shaft, that protrudes past the gear, has clearance. I did not think of this in the planning stage. :oops: The wall at the end that grabs the gear, was originally to thick and had to be tapped into place, when pulling the gear.

That is it for tonight!
More to come!
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

I just realized that I had to many pictures in the last post, so the one with it in use, did not post.

Here is the in use photo. :)
20140721_203204a.jpg
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
JackF

Post by JackF »

Another fine example of "How does anyone get through life without a lathe and a mill". :roll: :wink: :lol: Great job. :D :D

Jack.
Patio

Post by Patio »

I have no idea how I would get along without them now. :)
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Nice job on the puller!

No lathe...no mill...we'd have to buy things....like your puller!
How unappealing!

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
Patio

Post by Patio »

Thanks Bill
The other issue with buying parts, is you must wait for them to arrive.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!