Patio's projects

The Photo Album is a place for "Shop Shots" as well as pictures and descriptions of projects that we are working on. Show off your Shops, Machines, and your Projects!

Moderator: Harold_V

Patio

Re: Patio's projects

Post by Patio »

Thanks Jack, I sure do enjoy using it.

I think my next project will be trying to get some sort of organizations in the shops. We'll see how that goes.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
JackF

Post by JackF »

Organizing is my weak suit. :( We've been in the new house, and shop, for 2 1/2 years now and the shop still needs to be more organized. :roll:

Jack.
curtis cutter

Post by curtis cutter »

Organization of the shop.... That is a regular monthly goal of mine that I never seem to actually complete

Just got back for a few weeks in Arizona and returned to the rain Pat. I built a new 30x60 three bay tractor shed this summer adjacent to my 40' semi trailer I use for storage. I now have about 8500 SF of barn and shed and I still struggle to get all the trailers and whatever under cover. Anything you leave out here in western Washington during the winter reverts back to it's organic form rapidly.

Never ceases to amaze me how people leave their hay balers and machinery out in the rain. Spend 25K on a baler but won't spend 1K on a shelter for it.

Getting back to the shop, I believe I will be loading some large tools to distribute to my kids homes. I have had a radial arm saw in my way for too long and another son can take one of my portable generators. The goal being to get my truck under cover a little more frequently during the rainy season. With the shop being 60' deep, I can put the truck in and still leave my two post lift available for frequent use. My goal anyway.

Once I get stuff protected from the elements I can get back to playing with the metal working tools. :)
Gregg
Just let go of it, it will eventually unplug itself.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

I know how to have a clean and organized garage. DONT OWN ANYTHING THAT GOES IN IT. It seems kind of obvious, that a ship is safe in harbor. But that is not what its built for. Once you get the heavy iron disease, with complications of hoarding stock and things, all hope of salvation from clutter pretty much goes out the window.

I like useful stuff, free stuff, and odd stuff. I have so much stuff, I cant find my stuff. My garage is stuffed. So is my storage barn of a house, stuffed. I watch the show hoarders, just to feel good abut my stuff. Yaknow, as long as I can laugh at them, I consider myself good.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
Patio

Post by Patio »

The shop organizing is still in progress, all be it slowly. :)
In the mean time, a friend bought some mirrors for his bike that has turn signals built in. The studs that mounts the mirrors to the bike, are a bit short. So he asked if I could make a pair for him, with longer studs. I said yes, and here is the results. They are made from 303 SS.
20171216_124809a.jpg
My lathe can cut over 300, different types of threads, but not a 5mmX.8 or a 4mmX.7, without a pair of change gears, that I don't have at the moment. (I may make them someday :roll: ).
The original stud has a 5mmX.8 thread on one end and a 12mmX1.75 thread on the other end. The ones I made have a 5/16"X24 thread on the large end. The mirror mounts on the small ends. The large end goes through holes in the brake and clutch levers.

More to come, as I get aroundtuit.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

I have been spending a bit time lately, learning to draw in Fusion360.
Control Assembly v16.jpg
This is a project, to make a speed control system for the Cazeneuve HBX360 lathe. The lathe originally had a hydraulic reeves drive system. Here is
an example of one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8ExzaUq5GI
It was removed by the previous owner. It came to me, with a VFD drive already installed, all I did was rearrange the way the controls were laid out. The origins controls are on the sides of the apron. I am in the process of making a setup, that will allow me to use the original controls, to run the VFD in lathe.

The drawing is a rough layout of the control system I am building.
The flat bar, arm on the left, will connect to the speed indicator arm, of the lathe. The gold pulley on the right will be connect to the potentiometer shaft. A movement of about 2.125" will give me a rotation of 310°, which is the full range of the potentiometer. There will be a plate connected horizontally, across the top of the unit, for mounting to the lathe.

Another part of this upgrade that I am going to do, is to remake the missing control linkage that made it go from forward to reverse, although I intend to have FWD/OFF/REV when completed. I haven't work out all the mounting and linkage set up for it yet, but I have some ideas.

I got a little shop time today and made the idler pulleys, and some of the bushings, from Brass and Acetal.
20180218_223049a.jpg
I am going to post the picture of the control build here and will do the install and the other major improvments, that are part of the plan, in the thread I started about the lathe.
You can see that here; viewtopic.php?f=42&t=101892
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
JackF

Post by JackF »

Nice work as always Pat. :)

Jack.
Patio

Post by Patio »

Thanks Jack. :)

More time in the shop, but not productive. Made this nice piece of scrap today. :oops:
20180219_211744a.jpg
Just so you can get an idea of where I am headed, here it is with the pulleys mounted.
20180219_212543a.jpg
The reason I am calling it scrap, is the distance between the pulleys, isn't enough for the amount of movement I need.
The reason I spent so much time making the drawing, was so I could avoid these clearance issues. Guess I am just not paying enough attentions to the dimensions.
The good part is I have plenty more of that material to make another. :roll:
Back to it!
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
JackF

Post by JackF »

I'm sure you will find another use for the "scrap". :) I save even the smallest pieces of scrap and I usually find a use for them. :roll: :wink: :lol:

Jack.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

“Scrap” ?

Wuzzat ?

:)
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

warmstrong1955 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:14 am “Scrap” ?

Wuzzat ?

:)
A piece of raw material with a hole in it. Different from junk, which is a part that you will surely be able to use in a future project with at most a few minor modifications.
Patio

Post by Patio »

Snowed here today, and the client I was to work for today, did not show up. Soooooo, I remade the plate for the speed control. I did a bit more work on this one, by finishing all the edges and faces. I now have 3" of space between the two idler pulleys.
20180220_184922a.jpg
20180220_195039a.jpg
20180220_204422a.jpg
Now I need to make the potentiometer pulley, the mounting plate, the bolt that grabs the O-ring belt and the mounting plate.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!