Patio's projects

The Photo Album is a place for "Shop Shots" as well as pictures and descriptions of projects that we are working on. Show off your Shops, Machines, and your Projects!

Moderator: Harold_V

GlennW

Re: Patio's projects

Post by GlennW »

Ahhh, so it's actually sintered Guacamole.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

GlennW wrote:Ahhh, so it's actually sintered Guacamole.
Well.....yeah....yeah.....that's kinda the ticket...... :lol:

Something between what your creepy crawly bug would look like, if one of us could give it a good smack with a newspaper.....

Your normal bug-gut green.....
splat-green-1.png
splat-green-1.png (25.62 KiB) Viewed 6962 times
...and the obscene bug-gut green.....
splat-green-2.png
splat-green-2.png (22.18 KiB) Viewed 6962 times
Compared to.....the basic and now infamous muckel-dee-dung green....
Trigger Guard Tools.jpg
(A custom spring loaded trigger guard roll pin liner-upper, for the prevention of people sayin' #$*&%)
Another use for leftover oil filled nylon.

We now return the thread to Patio's Projects
(Sorry Pat)

:D
Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
Patio

Post by Patio »

No problem Bill, a little humor makes most things better.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Stumbled on this pic, so I thought I'd post it.

Regular Cast nylon. It's an insulator mounted in a fairlead on a power cable reel.
For some reason, the OEM thought it was worth $550....or $750 bucks.....something nuts in that range. That, and I should be OK with waiting 90-120 days to get some.

$6 bucks worth of cast nylon tube, turned with HSS, about 45 minutes for the first one.....bingo. I made a 6-pack of 'em.

Anywho....the stuff machines quite nicely.
Basic cue-ball color.....unlike the splattered Glenn bug oil filled cast nylon. Easier on the eyes......

:)
Bill
Fairlead Guide.jpg
Patio

Post by Patio »

Latest little project....
I recently acquired an inside micrometer, less the handle. So I made one. Another simple, yet not so easy project. At least not easy for me.

304 stainless, started .5" turned to 3/8" to be able to fit in the box, with a 5X40" thread on the end to hold the micrometer. Opposite the hole that the handle goes in is another threaded hole, of the same size, that the locking thumb screw goes into. I use that thumb screw to determine the size of the threaded end of the handle. At first I thought is was a #4X40tpi thread, but that just fell in the hole. After getting out the Machinist Handbook, I figured the hole and screw are #5X42 tpi". :shock: After a discussion with Harold on the matter, and the fact that my lathe will not, in it's present configuration, turn a 42 tpi thread, so by turning a #5X40tpi thread, a little under sized, might work. The threaded end is about 3.5 threads long and may work for such a short distance. So that is what I did and it worked out well in the end.

The hardest part of the project was turning 10", of a 12" 304SS rod, from .5" to 3/8". I first tried to turn just short sections and then advance the stock for the next short section, but blending was being a problem, between the sections that were turned. So I tried using a follow rest, (which I have never used before), which helped, but the finish was still bad. Oh, I was using a negative, carbide tool holder. I am just learning about carbide inserts, so I can not tell you at the moment whether the insert had a positive or negative cutting edge. Then I switched to a honed, brazed carbide tool, with not rake, which help even more, but still not a great finish. Chatter was a constant problem, even with infinite speed control and light cuts. Once I got it close to size I used a file and some paper to polished the handle to get a good finish. I could do even more polishing on it, but it is well enough for who it is for.
I think next time I am faced with this problem, I think I will go back to where I started. I would turn short sections, until I had the length I wanted and then polish the line between the sections out. If I had many to do I would make a bushing type follow rest to get to size. (saw it on the internet, looks like it works great for long rod).:)

Here are the pictures.
20160316_195351a.jpg
20160316_195625a.jpg
I will be doing some repairs of parts, for the Panhead rebuild project, soon I hope.
More to come!
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

I am taking a welding class at our local community college. It is an artistic welding class, so there is no certification program with the class. The class teaches most of the different forms of welding, including blacksmithing. Tonight we got introduced to GTAW (tig). It was the first time I have ever tried it. Here are the results.
20160418_215430a.jpg
I also bought a B&S Best Test, test indicator on Ebay for 45 bucks. My Mititoyo took a flight out of the mill, across the room and into a wall. It did not fair well. :oops: The Best test arrive and was not functional, so I was pretty upset. I went back and read the add to see if I missed something and sure enough, the add says for parts only. Well with nothing to lose I took it apart and had a look. Seems the dial was just stuck. got it freed up and now it works well enough. I am not sure if it will stay that way, as it acts like there is a tiny piece of debris the locked it up. Time will tell. So if you have ever wondered what the inside of a Best Test looks like, wonder no more, here is a pic.
20160414_195131a.jpg
Work is busy, life is busy, as spring is here in the North West and things need doing, so shop time and posting time is short. More as I can get to it.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Weather an old fart, or a class with no cert, it is the knowledge an practice you need. There are Cert agencies that will test you for proficiency, and get you a card. Some wleding jobs make the cert a condition of entry for emplyment. Point being, do it, or not.

These little jewels are not as delicate as one might think, but they can be broken, and sometimes repaird with a jewelers touch. Either way, you can more than try, DO! Most anything can be repaired one way or another (duct tape wont work here), it is a question of skill and economics. Good on ya for taking the road.

If you screw a one inch inside mike all the way down, does it disappear? How big is a 3-2-1- block? When is Cinquo De Mayo? So many questions.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
Patio

Post by Patio »

Hi Dave, I am not after a cert, or the jobs that require them. It is an "artistic" class, but will give me what I need at the moment. :) i have always taken things apart, that is easy. Getting them back together in good condition is the challenge.

Been pretty busy, and I only have a few free weekends for the rest of the year. :roll:
We are taking a 10 day trip to Canada, with another couple on the bikes. Going to Banff.

We will be camping for most of the nights. I use a 12V pump that plugs in the a cigarette lighter socket on the bike. I don't like the battery power ones as it seems the battery will die when you need it. The one we have has adapters to allow it to fit a variety of inflatable devises. Somewher along the way we have lost on of the adapters, so I made one. While I am turning the adapter the wife looks over and says "You can turn plastic?" She was quite happy about that. Here is the finished product.
20160515_165808a.jpg
20160515_165951a.jpg
Still in the welding class. Here are my fist set of chicken scratches ever in aluminium.
20160513_222912a.jpg
More to come!
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
JackF

Post by JackF »

With that new lathe of course you can turn plastic. :D Under the right conditions you can turn anything from Titanium to dog poop. :shock: :wink: :lol:

Nice job. :D

Jack.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

I know the drill. My handle on the crock pot lid broke, so I ran out and made her a new one out of leftover Teflon I had.
Same thing.....'did you make that?'

Don't know where you're going in Canada, but we used to go to the Yukon every summer, when we lived in Alaska.
Outside of Whitehorse....Kusawa Lake.
Great thing was during the week, we were the only ones there, besides an occasional stray black bear. Locals would come out on the weekend, but all were gone by Sunday afternoon.

TIG welds are improving greatly Pat!
It takes some time to get all the hand-hand-finger-eye coordination!

Nice!

Bill
Patio

Post by Patio »

Hi Bill,
I was raised in Fairbanks, from 2 years of age to early high school.
We are going to Banff, it is a national park.

Tonight I had a chance to try Tig welding stainless steel. I will post pictures soon.
Lots to do before I leave.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

How was Banff?