Patio's projects

The Photo Album is a place for "Shop Shots" as well as pictures and descriptions of projects that we are working on. Show off your Shops, Machines, and your Projects!

Moderator: Harold_V

JackF

Re: Patio's projects

Post by JackF »

Pat,

Beautiful job. :)

Glen,

Just a thought from a non machinist; couldn't the knurled bearings be installed then line honed to bring them back to round and sized? Like I said, just a thought and I agree, your method would be the correct way and a permanent fix.

Jack.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Hello Jack,

I'm not sure the ID would have constricted enough to allow for enough honing to achieve full clean up.

The other problem with knurling, in my opinion, is that you lose contact area between the OD of the bushing and the bore. This contact is necessary for proper heat transfer/dissipation in a lot applications.

This application, being cam bearings, is also subject to pulsing, which may tend to "seat" the knurling into the case and loosen up again.

Just my .02 :) (from another non-machinist)

I've also never been closer to a HD than walking past one, so I dunno much about them.

"roundnose" is the HD guy around here...
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
JackF

Post by JackF »

Glen,

From the pics you have shown us of the work you do with the V 12s I would call you a machinist of the first degree. That work is not done by blacksmiths. :roll: :wink: :)

Jack.
Patio

Post by Patio »

Jack and Glenn

I do know that he will use some green locktite when they get installed into the cases. I also believe he will be line boring them, after installation. Line boring is required even when they go into properly sized holes. What gets me is that they were not pinned, as all of mine are.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Thanks for the compliment Jack!

I'm just a guy that buys machines to see how they work, and then figures out how to use them.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
Patio

Post by Patio »

Today the lathe paid for itself.

I have an inexpensive walk behind lawn mower, that is a few years old. This year the walk behind part quit and it has become a push mower, which I don't care for much. So before running off and buying a new walk behind, I thought I would give it another look. I knew from a previous time I had taken it apart, that the gears were worn in the wheels, but I did not remember how the mess worked.

I took the wheel off and sure enough the splines inside the wheels were worn off. After thinking about it for a minute, I figured all I needed to do was to be able to move the wheel inboard a little bit to pick up the driving gear. After a little checking I figured that there was enough room, to be able to do just that. Into the lathe the wheel went. I removed .100 from the center, and the outer rim that you see in the picture. I had to make a washer to take up the difference on the outboard side of the wheel, so it wouldn't wobble.
Here is a picture of the wheel in the lathe. I forgot to get a picture of it after the turning was done. When this side quits I will do the other side.
IMAG0164.jpg
IMAG0165.jpg
It worked well for now.
Lathe= $300 New lawn mower I figuer is about $5-600. Lathe paid for itself.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

Spent some time in the shop, just to make the taper attachment bracket, I made, a little nicer to the touch and eyes. I used a vertical sander, that I had fixed the switch on, (shown in an earlier post) a palm sander and some files, to get it like this. Now I should probably find some paint.
Here are the pics.
IMAG0173.jpg
IMAG0174.jpg
Was eyeballing my Walker Turner drill press, and I think with a good cleaning, it could look nice.
Still waiting on parts for the Sportster motor.

Going to the river for the weekend. :)
Everyone have a nice Labor Day!
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

Not much going on in the shop these days, still waiting for a couple of C clips for my sportster motor. I found out the other day that they are on back order, so there is no telling when they may come in. I may just use the old ones if I must.

I did make a simple tool for a customer of mine the other day, for driving spikes, that hold rails, that keep patio bricks inline. She is not young and was having trouble driving the spikes without hitting the bricks, with her hammer. So I bought a 1" piece of round stock about a foot long and turned a flat bottomed hole end, for the head of the spike to recess into. I think the weight of the bar helped too. This way she can drive the spikes without ever getting close the the patio bricks. Once I had the part made, I took my 2000 Harley RoadKing for a ride out to her house to deliver the tool. She offered to pay me, but I declined, it was worth the price to hear here tell me the story about how in 1995,she and here mother, who was 67 at the time, bought motorcycles, learned to ride them for 2 years, then went on a cross Canada trip, from the east coast to here in the west. She no longer rides, but sure like seeing my bike.

I know this is kids stuff compared to what most of you do with your tools, but it is just another chance for me to learn. I broke the boring bar I had made,during this build. So I did learn something, and will have to grind another, and will learn something then too.

For all the picture lovers, me included, here is the simple tool, with spike.
SpikeDriver.jpg
SpikeDriver (1).jpg
Here is a picture of my shop that has my lathe, shaper, and bikes. Only one of the bikes in together and running at this moment.
Shop2011 (1).jpg
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Great little tool you made, Patio. I made one very similar for driving 4d finish nails in the edge of the hardwood flooring I'm installing in the house----for the same reason. Amazing how easy it is to miss the target when you know you shouldn't. :x

Very nice gesture, providing the tool as a gift. 8)

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Patio.. Nice play! Do it now, do it all, make it right, or not at all.....

Or something clever like that. Not every project is world changing, just mostly common sense. Just enjoy the doodles along with the super jobs. It is very satisfying, if you like it. Cheers.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
Patio

Post by Patio »

Harold_V wrote:
Very nice gesture, providing the tool as a gift. 8)

Harold
Thanks Harold.
steamin10 wrote:
It is very satisfying, if you like it.
I like doing it all of it. And yes for me it is very satisfying.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
stevec

Post by stevec »

A bit off topic but about missing the nail with a hammer. I can remember when I was younger I almost never "missed" the nail head or other target , but lately, it's another story. Rather than accepting the fact that I'm getting old I blame it on bifocals. I know it's a feeble excuse but if anyone here has similar feelings please let me know. The weak of theory must stand together.