Fixed up an old die head

The Photo Album is a place for "Shop Shots" as well as pictures and descriptions of projects that we are working on. Show off your Shops, Machines, and your Projects!

Moderator: Harold_V

GlennW

Fixed up an old die head

Post by GlennW »

I recently picked up a Albert Herbert Die Head and decided it needed a little tune up.

First there were two screws missing from the die retaining plate, and the two screws that were there were pretty nasty. I made four new ones from 4140 pre hard steel after picking up the angles, etc. by viewing the old screws on the Comparator. They appear to be .147"-40 tpi CEI thread, but I'm not real sure about that, as I made them .152"-40.

It came with a 1" non adjustable shank, which works fine in a tool holder on my lathe carriage, but I prefer to use it with my turret, which accepts 3/4" shank tooling. A new 3/4" adjustable shank was made from some 3" 4140 pre hard bar that I already had. (I still have the craters burned in my hands from roughing :evil: )

The holes were duplicated using the radial and distance method, and the flat machined.

New knurled adjusters and three new mounting bolts were made from 4140 pre-hard as well. The bolts were a bit odd as well, as they were .243"-28 tpi. Verified using thread wires and the Comparator to be sure. Standard 1/4"-28 would not screw in.

All cleaned up, oiled, and ready to go to work!

I guess this is why we have machines! :)
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
wsippola

Re: Fixed up an old die head

Post by wsippola »

Very nice work Glen. I'd like to place an order for 4 screws for my coverplate! That must be a coventry die head - what size is it? I'll have to use your photo's to make a new cover plate for my 1/2". It also needs the screws and the black knob. The 4140 sure came to a nice finish. Did you use carbide inserts for turning it?

Wayne
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Hello Wayne,

It is a 1/2" Coventry.

I'd be happy to draw the die retaining plate and screws for you, and include the PD info for the screws. 50 degree taper on the head.

Carbide for roughing, and Cermet for the finish pass, and as fast as the spindle would spin. Nice little glittery sparks and all!

I have a new 9/16 Geometric as well, but the Coventry appears to be superior to me.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
stevec

Post by stevec »

Glenn Wegman wrote: but the Coventry appears to be superior to me.
Ya, now it does! nice work Glenn :wink: .