Oh, what a tangled web we weave...

The Photo Album is a place for "Shop Shots" as well as pictures and descriptions of projects that we are working on. Show off your Shops, Machines, and your Projects!

Moderator: Harold_V

RLWP

Re: Oh, what a tangled web we weave...

Post by RLWP »

SteveM wrote:What kind of chuck is that?

{snip}

What is the purpose of angling the jaws inwards?

Steve
What great questions, I had never thought about it before.

The chuck is labelled Chas Taylor' (Birm) Ltd TAYLOR CHUCK Made in England, so it comes from my home town

One of the Taylors I am aware of in Birmingham was Taylor and Challen, I wonder if this is the same Taylor.

I suspect we are looking at an evolutionary dead-end in chuck development here. To get that angle, there has to be a spiral cut conical scroll in the chuck, which must be a nightmare to make. Also, the chuck is a lot longer than a flat scrolled one, using up valuable length along the bed and putting the cutting forces further away from the headstock bearings (not a good idea)

The external jaws do seem to have more support than a flat scroll chuck

The internal ones are much the same as a 'normal' one, except there is a longer slideway supporting the jaw. Using the internal jaws as external ones (like every machinist the world over does) means that there is a much longer support to the material

Thanks for your comments chaps - er - guys, I'll put up some more threads like this as and when

Richard
Patio

Post by Patio »

Great post!
Everyone loves pictures too.
It is an inspiration for people like me that have imperial lathes and would like to do metric threading.
I post a lot of what I do, when I can. I do not always get a lot of comments, but I do get a lot of views, so I believe people are interested.

Keep posting, I enjoy it and learn plenty here.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
latzanimal

Post by latzanimal »

ken572 wrote:Richard,

What a great group of instructive visual aids.. :wink:

I really enjoy reading and and looking at post's like this one.

8) Very Cool

Ken. :)
+1
RLWP

Post by RLWP »

Thank you Gentlemen. I have to delve into the top of Heidi the Aciera, I'll take a picture of the new collar in it's home when I do

Richard
Richard_W

Post by Richard_W »

RLWP wrote:
SteveM wrote:What kind of chuck is that?

{snip}

What is the purpose of angling the jaws inwards?

Steve
What great questions, I had never thought about it before.

The chuck is labelled Chas Taylor' (Birm) Ltd TAYLOR CHUCK Made in England, so it comes from my home town

I suspect we are looking at an evolutionary dead-end in chuck development here. To get that angle, there has to be a spiral cut conical scroll in the chuck, which must be a nightmare to make. Also, the chuck is a lot longer than a flat scrolled one, using up valuable length along the bed and putting the cutting forces further away from the headstock bearings (not a good idea)

The external jaws do seem to have more support than a flat scroll chuck

The internal ones are much the same as a 'normal' one, except there is a longer slideway supporting the jaw. Using the internal jaws as external ones (like every machinist the world over does) means that there is a much longer support to the material

Thanks for your comments chaps - er - guys, I'll put up some more threads like this as and when

Richard
I think you need to look at where the pressure is on the chuck jaw and the chuck body. A standard 3 jaw when the slot gets worn the chuck jaw tilts in the slot. With the angle slot the pressure would be against one side of the jaw fit. Resulting in no jaw tilt, if I am looking at this correctly. So the chuck would have a longer usefull life over the standard 3 jaw chucks we now have.

Your thoughts?

Richard W.