Grinding Wheel Guard Project

The Photo Album is a place for "Shop Shots" as well as pictures and descriptions of projects that we are working on. Show off your Shops, Machines, and your Projects!

Moderator: Harold_V

GlennW

Re: Grinding Wheel Guard Project

Post by GlennW »

These jaws are for use in the vise on my CNC mill. They will allow maximum access to the stock with a minimum of compression deformation to it and a minimum of stock waste without having to work around any clamps and quicker than clamping. Not having perfectly parallel sides to grip will also not be a problem with stock softer than the jaws. The little knife edge on the jaws bites right in and creates down force in the process of doing so.

Not a very good example, but when I was cutting these parts out before making the new jaws the sheet tried to lift out of the jaws. Applying more vise pressure would do little more than bow or deform the stock. Not a problem with the new jaws.
P1170004.JPG
Similar situation here. Firm grip on the stock with minimal waste. I need to machine to nearly the full depth of the stock. When done, just flip it over and face mill the small portion off that was left from gripping the stock.
P1170002.JPG
Yes, I could just take lighter cuts, and more of them, but that takes the fun out of it! I can run to the limits of the cutter this way.

I have always liked this type of jaw stop as it is simple and works 95% of the time without being in the way. The groove in the top of the jaws still allows use of the Kurt "Groove Lock" type of adjustable stop that came with the vise. I have one of those "erector set" fully adjustable type vise stops and just never liked it. It just seems to be too cumbersome. Two little screws and this one is off. It always goes back on in the same place as well.

We all have different methods, these just seem to make sense to me for what I do. :)

I had pics right from the beginning showing the jaws being sawed from a slab of A2 and then machined, but my camera memory card croaked and I lost those pics. :|

Done with that little project.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Glenn Wegman wrote:I was using a Norton 5SG46I wheel, which may be slightly on the hard side, but I was using an 8" wheel which I spun at 3400 rpm to hopefully help it act just a bit softer
I was working on the grinder last night and checked, and I have it set to run at 2800 rpm, not 3400.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
ZipSnipe

Post by ZipSnipe »

Great job Glen very professional looking. What oven do you use to heat treat ? And what temp and how long? If you don't mind? so many questions
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

I use a electric furnace with a capacity of just over a half cubic foot. The temps depends on the type of steel being heat treated and the desired temper. Different steel types require different temperatures.

Attached is a spec sheet for A2 tool steel (which the jaws are made from) showing the various temps to achieve the results desired.
A2.pdf
(24.19 KiB) Downloaded 277 times
Thanks!
Glenn