Grinding Wheel Guard Project

The Photo Album is a place for "Shop Shots" as well as pictures and descriptions of projects that we are working on. Show off your Shops, Machines, and your Projects!

Moderator: Harold_V

GlennW

Re: Grinding Wheel Guard Project

Post by GlennW »

Stuck a couple of ears to it and clamped the nozzle assembly in place.
P9300191.JPG
P9300189.JPG
P9300190.JPG
It adjusts to suite any wheel I have.

Got the rest of the plumbing on the way and also have a in line filter for the system.

I can almost see the end of this...
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Heh! Couldn't help but notice how quickly things rust in your area. You really weren't kidding! :lol:

Looks really nice, Glenn. Well done.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
shootnride

Post by shootnride »

Glenn,

I love seeing the work of a REAL machinist. Very nice.

Seeing the photo of you using the slitting saw reminded me of how I struggle with this process, especially when using a saw of .062 thickness or less. Can you give me some "rules of thumb" about using these without getting blade warp and chatter ? I thought maybe some of my problem was with imprecise tramming of my mill, but I have it withing .0005 and still have problems.

Thanks,

Ted
Some people raise the IQ of the room when they enter.........others when they leave.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

shootnride wrote:I love seeing the work of a REAL machinist.
Hello Ted,

I wouldn't go that far! I'm just a guy that likes machines, so I started collecting them and using them whenever I could come up with a good excuse (or even a real lame one) to make something.

As far as saws go, I really don't know what the "proper" way is, but I usually just make a fairly shallow pass, about the depth of the teeth, and then go back and make the cut. I guess the groove left from the shallow pass helps guide the blade and keep it aligned. Tram is also very important.

The strange thing is that on this cut I didn't do anything but make the full depth cut in one pass and it never wandered! I used a good sulphur based cutting oil and fed at a pretty good rate. Having a sharp saw is also the key to tracking properly.

I guess to answer your question, I really don't know... :)

I sure like your lathe!

Thanks!
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Excellent work Glenn!

Looks to me if you build anything out of steel, it should be of the stainless variety.

Glad I live in the desert....and I don't have to deal with that anymore.

:)
Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Lucky dog! :)

I just got back from Nevada a little over a week ago. Vacation out there every year and really like it.

Thanks!
Glenn

shootnride

Post by shootnride »

The strange thing is that on this cut I didn't do anything but make the full depth cut in one pass and it never wandered! I used a good sulphur based cutting oil and fed at a pretty good rate. Having a sharp saw is also the key to tracking properly.

I guess to answer your question, I really don't know...

I sure like your lathe!

Thanks!

Glenn,
Thanks for the reply. Your comment stating "fed at a pretty good rate" makes me think that maybe I'm babying it too much. Next time I use one of these saws I'll try being a little more agressive.

Concerning the lathe. Thanks, I'm kind of partial to it myself.

Ted
Some people raise the IQ of the room when they enter.........others when they leave.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

warmstrong1955 wrote:Looks to me if you build anything out of steel, it should be of the stainless variety.
:idea:

Ya know, maybe the next best thing is in order.

I'm just wrapping up some parts that will get sent out for Electroless Nickel...

Looks like the guard may join the pile.
Glenn

warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Good plan Glenn! That way your guard will stay shiny. It appeared to be well on the way to becoming oxide red.

Looks like you don't need much of a time lapse to see the rust form down there.....

:) Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Folded up some metal today.
PA050192.JPG
Glenn

GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Cleaned up the steel parts a bit prior to plating. Rounded the edges a bit, etc.
Worked on the edges using a cartridge roll, then hit the external surfaces with a flap wheel and doused it with oil.
PA070193.JPG
PA070194.JPG
Glenn

GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Finally mixed up some satin finish polyurethane and painted the splash guard parts.
PA190190.JPG
And actually got it assembled.
PA200191.JPG
The front panel just lifts off for easy setup access.
PA200192.JPG
The rear panel gets clip on height extensions depending on spindle clearance.

The wheel guard should be back this week from being plated.

Slooowwwly moving along :|
Glenn