Grinding Wheel Guard Project

The Photo Album is a place for "Shop Shots" as well as pictures and descriptions of projects that we are working on. Show off your Shops, Machines, and your Projects!

Moderator: Harold_V

GlennW

Re: Grinding Wheel Guard Project

Post by GlennW »

Got the parts back from plating. Now the wheel guard matches the handwheels.
PA220203.JPG
I'll probably make some knurled knobs to secure the front cover.
PA220204.JPG
Now I need to run some hoses to and from the coolant system and I may actually be ready to grind again.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
ken572

Post by ken572 »

Glenn,

Very Nice.. :wink:

Ken. :)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Oooooo.....and Ahhhhhh....

Yes indeed.....it does look really really nice.

Be a shame to grind something and get all that custom stuff dirty.....

:)
Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Dirty? :shock: :shock: I hadn't thought about that... :)

Thanks guys!
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Glenn,
I've done a respectable amount of grinding on surface grinders, in some cases, with extremely tight tolerances. One of the things that has always been of importance to me is to have the capability to control temperature during the operation. It makes holding tight tolerances so much easier!

I think you're really going to enjoy having the coolant at your disposal. Personally, I wouldn't grind dry, not even at gun point.

Looks real nice, friend, although I think you know that! :wink:

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Patio

Post by Patio »

Nice!!!!!
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
spro

Post by spro »

I'm glad I read thru the process before commenting. It was the whole housing extension and everything. Very nice and more. Since you mentioned ease of exchanging wheels and then the knurled two for locking the guard..did you pin ? I think you made it so only the two need unlock it, instead of a bunch of screws. Very cool.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Harold_V wrote:I think you're really going to enjoy having the coolant at your disposal. Personally, I wouldn't grind dry, not even at gun point.
Hello Harold,

I have never even considered running my Universal Grinder dry, but have only ever run surface grinders dry.

Made a little time today, finished the plumbing, and got a few minutes of grinding in before I had to leave. It's definitely worth the trouble to convert it!

Tried a full synthetic coolant and it seems OK. Strange stuff though, as the swarf does not mix with it and wash away as particles, but rather forms clumps like a poached egg in water, which is what it is supposed to do to keep the coolant clean from what I understand. Weird! Could also be magnetism making it clump though. I'll use it for a while and then try the same soluble oil that I use in the Universal Grinder and the other machines as it works very well too. Another little research project. :roll:

Thanks!
Glenn

coal miner

Post by coal miner »

A fine job and the step by step gives insight to the planning and work done in the proper order . The order of ops. is one of the most important . I'm sure I have never had to lick the calf over (not .... for me , more than several times ) . Thanks Glen !
The more I learn , The more I don't know !
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Went on a grinding binge.

Needed to make some new jaws for my 6" Kurt Vises, a set of jaws for a 4" American Sun vise, and some jaw stops for both from A2 tool steel.

While I was at it I squared up and matched half a dozen old nasty 1-2-3 blocks, re-ground a V block and a small grinding fixture full of tapped holes to fasten small parts to for grinding. The finish ground some triangles I started making a while back. Then tuned up the little 3" sine bar I made a while back in order to make the triangles.

They are all coated with oil so that they make it through the night without rusting...
P1120006.JPG
Vise jaws wrapped up prior to heat treating.
P1070008.JPG
Ready to air quench.
P1080001.JPG
Quenched and double tempered to 57-58RC and ready to grind. I checked a standard Kurt jaw and it was 55RC, so I figured I'd stay close to that.
P1090003.JPG
Last edited by GlennW on Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glenn

GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Vise jaw getting the two larger surfaces parallel ground.
P1100006.JPG
Then clamped to the Step Angle Block for grinding the sides square to the face.
P1120001.JPG
Then stood on end to grind the ends square to the other surfaces. The same process was used for squaring all of the other items.
P1120002.JPG
Setup using the Sine Bar and Space Blocks prior to grinding the 45 degree triangle. The Sine Bar and blocks are removed prior to grinding.
P1150001.JPG
I had previously ground the Step Angle Block square and parallel in another thread.
P1010419.JPG
Last edited by GlennW on Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Glenn

ctwo

Post by ctwo »

Looks awesome. What's the purpose of the foil wrap?
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...