Grinding Wheel Guard Project

The Photo Album is a place for "Shop Shots" as well as pictures and descriptions of projects that we are working on. Show off your Shops, Machines, and your Projects!

Moderator: Harold_V

GlennW

Re: Grinding Wheel Guard Project

Post by GlennW »

The foil wrap (high temp stainless steel) is to seal the parts to keep the oxygen away from the surface while at higher temps. The presence of oxygen will cause the surface of the steel to "burn" and become flaky and scaly. The steel still seems to discolor from the heat, as you can see, but it stays relatively clean. Without the wrap, it would have a build up on the surface similar to that of hot rolled steel.

Thanks!
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

Thanks Glenn. I'm guessing tin foil is not a good substitute.

I was watching modernblacksmith on youtube anneal some tool holders in a coal burning forge he made and he commented on the scaling if it got too hot. I did not know that would be a problem in a more controlled environment.

That's a nice stove, BTW. My mom has a small kiln for her stained glass work - built from light blocks and a coiled wire heater - with at least 10 years of dust on it. I've been wanting to borrow it to make metal soft and hard again. She won't let me use it, thinking it might get damaged since it's designed for glass... :?
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

The American Sun 4" vise, still coated in Cosmoline, with it's new jaws installed. Interesting vises. Were made in PA and are hardened and ground tool steel, extremely accurate. Basically a screw operated tool makers vise. They made a 3" as well. Now out of business.
P1140009.JPG
One of the new jaws for the Kurt. I'm likin' the new coolant system on the grinder as it sure is a lot more fun grinding A2 now than it was grinding it dry.
P1140004.JPG
The jaw installed with it's new stop as well as retaining the ability to use the little Kurt movable stop. The new stop will go on either end of the jaw. I have it on the right side presently as I have both the vise and the Super Spacer on the table.
P1140008.JPG
There is something nice about using things you made or tinkered with. :)
Last edited by GlennW on Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Put another jaw on the barbie eh mate?

Nice Glenn.....

We all like shiny things....

:)
Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
buffdan

Post by buffdan »

Beautiful finish on those items Glenn.
What wheel did you use, and specifically what coolant do you use?
I enjoy all of your projects..

I have a surface grinder in my basement shop and I am achin to use coolant.

Dan
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Hello Dan

I believe it is Castrol Syntilo 9902, but I'll check tomorrow to make sure, as Castrol offers different types.

http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp_in ... 06_pds.pdf

I was using a Norton 5SG46I wheel, which may be slightly on the hard side, but I was using an 8" wheel which I spun at 2800 rpm to hopefully help it act just a bit softer. I was trying not to get a real slick finish on the jaws to help with grip, and it seemed to work out about the way I wanted it to. If I had a 46H, I would have used it, but this one actually worked quite well and did quite a bit of work between dressing.

Being new to coolant on a surface grinder, and having little experience on parts of decent size, I'm kinda figuring it out as I go, as it's a bit different (easier) for sure!

Thanks!
Last edited by GlennW on Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glenn

GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Glenn

buffdan

Post by buffdan »

Thanks Glenn.
I'll look into that coolant.
Its really confusing ( at least for me) to pick the "right" coolant for home shop use.
Of course we want no odor, no rust, no bio hazard.. :)

Kind of suprised you didn't use a finer wheel to obtain that nice finish..

Also like your photography.. Nice sharp well exposed photos..
Dan
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

I use Castrol water soluable oil in other machines and the Castrol synthetic in the surface grinder and find that they have nearly no odor to them at all. I have used other coolants in the other machines and as soon as you walk in the door you smell them. I have never had the Castrol coolants I use go rancid either.

Thanks!
Glenn

Patio

Post by Patio »

Glenn I like the work you do. It is always clean looking.
I sure do like the look of a ground finish. :)
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Thanks, Pat!

One set of Kurt jaws has a small dovetail at the top corner so I dressed a 1/4" wheel to 30 degrees by using the sine chuck and a slide dresser.
P1160002.JPG
Set up the jaw using a 1-2-3 block against the back bar. That's why I like things square. I stuck the block and the jaw on there and ran a DTI along the surface of the jaw parallel to the X axis and it was out .0002" from end to end. A tap with my knuckle and it was good. Makes setups quick. I have five machines with back bars which is why I like matched blocks.
P1160008.JPG
Then ground that little dovetail square and parallel to the rest of the jaw surfaces. It needed very little grinding to clean up.
P1160001.JPG
Now I have a nice sharp little dovetail on each jaw to grab delicate parts with without applying much jaw pressure to hold them. It's a .060" step.
P1160006.JPG
Glenn

Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

ctwo wrote: I'm guessing tin foil is not a good substitute.
Chuckle! Depends on your objective. If you hope to protect the piece being heat treated, it won't, as you'll quickly go beyond the melting point of aluminum.
I was watching modernblacksmith on youtube anneal some tool holders in a coal burning forge he made and he commented on the scaling if it got too hot. I did not know that would be a problem in a more controlled environment.
Correct. Professional heat-treaters typically use controlled atmosphere furnaces, whereby the material gets discolored, but not oxidized. That's critical, as a prolonged heating cycle burns out carbon, leaving the surface dead soft, incapable of being hardened, even if the underlying material gets hard. That is recognized as being decarbed, and is, in a sense, the reverse of pack carburization, whereby instead of adding carbon to steel, it is removed. It's common for hot rolled alloys to receive a machining process to remove such material.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.