Old Verson 22.5 ton Press Brake

The Photo Album is a place for "Shop Shots" as well as pictures and descriptions of projects that we are working on. Show off your Shops, Machines, and your Projects!

Moderator: Harold_V

Wanna-Be

Old Verson 22.5 ton Press Brake

Post by Wanna-Be »

I just acquired this machine from a small welding and fab shop about 70 miles away. I had been waiting for something, like this to come within reasonable driving distance. Finally happened.
00K0K_AZKzwATgB3_600x450.jpg
00E0E_aHcJMXAJPXK_600x450.jpg
This machine is broken and hence, in my price range and very repairable. I'll insert some picture here so you can see the bent upper die connecting rod on the left side. The result of someone trying to flatten a 1/4" chunk of steel under the left end of the flattening die. Maybe the die height hadn't been set properly, since the machine been working up to 3/16", in short widths up to that time.
00F0F_eIlFFiEy7o1_600x450.jpg
00U0U_bEM9nNI423a_600x450.jpg
There is some parts support for these machines since the Verson is still around, but under a different name. I have talked to a parts supplier and he will be getting me a price and availability of this part but figure it will be expensive and think I can make it. I have another post about cutting the square threads.

During my quest for a press brake of this size/type I have been accumulating dies and think I have what I will need for sheet metal and short widths (30") up to 3/16". This machine only comes with a flat upper die and flattening platten (anvil).

Now to figure out a place to put it in my shop.

Still have to go haul it home and wait for my fork lift to come home from a month on loan to a friend.

Steve
Jet vert Mill, Champion 12X30 lathe, Amer. Mach. Tool radial drill, 24X60 LeBlond lathe, Scharmann 3" Hrz Brg Mill, Steptoe 18" Shaper, S/B Shaper,B&S (No.4 36") Gear Cutting Mach., Verson 22.5T Press Brake, Enco 12" hrz. saw, McEnglevan foundry furnace, Rockwell 14X42 lathe, K&T 2H univ horz. mill,DoAll 16-2 Vrt. bandsaw,Canedy-Otto drill press,Buffalo Iron Worker
Harold_V

Re: Old Verson 22.5 ton Press Brake

Post by Harold_V »

I read your post concerning the square thread.

I have a suggestion for you, one that will most likely be to your (great) advantage.

A square thread can present its own issues in machining. One of them will be surface finish of the cut, especially if your material choice is just mild steel, which I recommend against.

This project would be an excellent place to use Stressproof. It machines very well, leaving a nice finish, and compares favorably with 4130 in tensile strength, and can be put in service without heat treat.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Wanna-Be

Post by Wanna-Be »

Harold_V wrote:I read your post concerning the square thread.

I have a suggestion for you, one that will most likely be to your (great) advantage.

A square thread can present its own issues in machining. One of them will be surface finish of the cut, especially if your material choice is just mild steel, which I recommend against.

This project would be an excellent place to use Stressproof. It machines very well, leaving a nice finish, and compares favorably with 4130 in tensile strength, and can be put in service without heat treat.

Harold
I had been considering the 4130, but your recommendations for the StressProof is well taken. As I search for sources. I see some vendors advertising 1144 as a StessProof equivalent. When I look at the Niagara LaSalle web site, it appears that StressPoof is mentioned as "GRADE 1144 MODIFIED". So I ask, are all the vendors selling grade 1144 actually selling "modified"??
What is a reliable source?

Thnks
Steve
Jet vert Mill, Champion 12X30 lathe, Amer. Mach. Tool radial drill, 24X60 LeBlond lathe, Scharmann 3" Hrz Brg Mill, Steptoe 18" Shaper, S/B Shaper,B&S (No.4 36") Gear Cutting Mach., Verson 22.5T Press Brake, Enco 12" hrz. saw, McEnglevan foundry furnace, Rockwell 14X42 lathe, K&T 2H univ horz. mill,DoAll 16-2 Vrt. bandsaw,Canedy-Otto drill press,Buffalo Iron Worker
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Stressproof achieves its machining qualities by the patented cold working process that was developed by LaSalle. I have no experience with the typical 1144 material, which may be identical chemically, yet lack the machining qualities of Stressproof. I don't have an opinion.

I last purchased Stressproof over 30 years ago, when I resided in Utah. As a result, I have no clue where you might procure some today, but I expect a quick search of the net would yield a source. Jorgensen (EMJ) us one likely source.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Congrats! This is exactly the situation that I salivate for. If all things being equal, the Nut is not tweeked, a simple rod with some threads on it should be a cuppa tea to put this thing in service. All the other tweeks and squeeks would be minor.

I have preferred 4140 for such repairs, but there may be better materials. I dont get complex, just make it work.

By the way, copper/brass bearing grease for earth moving equipment works very well on this type of machine with limiited movements. It is more like never -seize than lubricant.

To prevent a wreck like this again, the lower platten (anvil) can be cushioned with a layer of high density eurethane that can cushion an operation. Trying to tight bend or flatten a material can force an overpress, (interference) puting the machine at risk. I have seen wrecked machines with column cap bolts blown apart or bearing caps broken, or simply stripped holes. Beware that such stresses can cause hidden damage, so it can be an adventure, but mostly what you see is the weakest link, fails.

I was a diesetter and a machine I controlled was set up by an engineer to make a transmission shift rod for John Deere transmission in one stroke. Very simple bend and press die, hand fed. As engineers designed it the roundy block die ran about 40 of 200 trial parts and broke across the die. Verion #2 wore a hole in the integral flatening area, and missed dimension in another 65 parts. After weld repair build-up. The top of the bearing column fractured and separated on a 1923 flywheeled H-column press. -(-Scrap-)-

I am excited for you, keep me posted please.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.