Maybe I'm crazy, but... shop made centering scope.

The Photo Album is a place for "Shop Shots" as well as pictures and descriptions of projects that we are working on. Show off your Shops, Machines, and your Projects!

Moderator: Harold_V

mars-red

Maybe I'm crazy, but... shop made centering scope.

Post by mars-red »

It seems like a lot of people who use optical centering scopes use them for centering work in a mill or jig borer, but I was always interested in having one for centering work in my lathes. With my goal of making my own watch from scratch, I'd need a way to secure the flat plates in the lathe (no big deal, I use a watchmaker's faceplate for that), and then be able to center the plate on the intersections of various scribed lines, representing the pivot points for the geartrain and escapement components. For making a custom set of bridges/plates for an existing movement, centering on the existing pivot holes would be necessary. One method of centering is to use a wobble stick - it's simple and can be very accurate but can't be easily used to center on intersecting layout lines unless you lightly center punch them, which is an opportunity to introduce error. I personally always liked the sound of using an optical centering scope held in the tailstock, for this purpose. The scope does not have to be 100% perfectly aligned, as long as the desired center of the work shows near some fixed marking on the scope's lens (a cross hair, for example). The human eye is very good at picking up movement relative to a fixed point, allowing the work to be centered much more accurately than the scope itself is positioned and centered. I became hooked on this concept after seeing it in action in a few videos of watchmaking students making their "school watches" at Lititz.

I've seen the relatively inexpensive import scopes for about $200 but was never really sure about them... the one thing I did know was that they'd be too big for my watchmaker's lathe... I really wanted something smaller. The "nice" ones are pretty expensive and I'm still not sure how small you can get them.

Recently I was thinking about the possibility of making my own, when I remembered a pair of inexpensive Bushnell binoculars that were sitting in my junk drawer because one of the kids had broken one of the eyepieces. I had already taken it apart to see if it was easily fixable, so was familiar with the optical components... specifically, I recalled the pair of prisms each barrel used to flip the image. I started tinkering around, mocking up the various lenses and prisms to see if I could get good magnification with a reasonable focal distance, viewable from an eyepiece angled to the scope's line of sight. It started to look pretty promising, so I set about making some parts for a prototype.

I turned and milled a piece of 1040 steel to hold the prism, and to provide a shank for mounting in the tailstock. I turned a couple of pieces of scrap brass pipe to form the body and eyepiece. After notching the eyepiece with an end mill, I soldered the two together. This pic shows those pieces, along with the lens and prism I planned on using. You can see the prism is badly chipped on one end, that was my fault for being careless while test fitting it. I have another one I can use once everything is ready to be assembled for the final time.

These are the assembled components:

And here you can see the image through the eyepiece hole:

I quickly modified one of the fittings from the binoculars to secure the lens and attach it to my scope, and that let me give it a trial run. I started by mounting the top plate from an 18 size Waltham pocket watch in my faceplate. I roughly centered one of the jeweled pivot holes using the tailstock center, and then mounted the scope:

It's tricky going without the reference mark, and with the image flipped in one direction, but I was able to get the jewel hole centered with a minimum of fiddling:

I was pretty encouraged by the results, so I went ahead and made a proper fitting for the lens. I decided to use brass, and make a fitting the same way brass and gold jewel settings were made in watches, before friction-fit jewels became the standard. I turned a recessed seat that the lens would slide into without friction, then around the outside of that I turned the brass down to a thin lip. I placed the lens in the seat (a few drops of oil kept it held in place), then ran the lathe and applied a lightly oiled burnishing tool to the thin lip of brass around the lens, to close and burnish it over the front edge of the lens. I also made an eyepiece by turning a fitting from black acetal, that one of the large subject lenses from the binoculars would snap into. Here were the parts at this point:

That's all of the pictures for now. After taking that last one, I washed the brass body in warm soapy water, then soaked it in vinegar for a while, rinsed it with denatured alcohol, air dried it, then primered and painted it. Once the paint is cured, I suppose it will be "done"... although I do need a cross hair or something in the lens. I was thinking of maybe scribing it with a carbide scribe, then trying to fill the scratches with black ink. Any other suggestions are welcome... but ideally I'd like the lines to be really thin.

I'm not sure if this thing I made is as good as a $200 chinese scope, but it works a whole lot better than not having one at all! :)
hammermill

Re: Maybe I'm crazy, but... shop made centering scope.

Post by hammermill »

wonderfull project for a old pair of broken binocs, usually the lens are loose not broken.
dly31

Post by dly31 »

I heard somewhere that spider web strands were used to make crosshairs in the WW2 Norden bombsights. Don't know if it's true but it sounds good, they are certainly fine and strong.
Don Young
mars-red

Post by mars-red »

dly31 wrote:I heard somewhere that spider web strands were used to make crosshairs in the WW2 Norden bombsights. Don't know if it's true but it sounds good, they are certainly fine and strong.
That's a really interesting idea, thanks for that!
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Neat! How did they train them? :lol:
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

at ease :shock: i belive they use orb web filaments in telescopic sights sorry coud not find part one

http://www.amerisurv.com/PDF/TheAmerica ... ay2005.pdf
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

hammermill wrote:at ease :shock: i belive they use orb web filaments in telescopic sights sorry coud not find part one

Black Widows were one of the sources.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
mars-red

Post by mars-red »

hammermill wrote:at ease :shock: i belive they use orb web filaments in telescopic sights sorry coud not find part one

Wow there's some great information in there, thanks very much for posting that! I'm leaning toward either fine hair or spider silk, we'll see. Sounds like some fun, fiddly work, and also sounds like the sort of thing most people wouldn't bother trying. Sign me up.

The paint is dry, here's how it's looking now:

Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

That sucker turned out right nice!

Well done.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

hey i like it, yes they used lots of differient spiders even has goats producing the silk protein or such.

not sure what they use now a days.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

mars-red wrote:Maybe I'm crazy, but...
Well, join the club.

Very nice job on the scope.

Steve
dly31

Post by dly31 »

It is a great idea, well made, and really nice looking. Congratulations!
Don Young