FTGMX Lathe Repair/Re-paint project

The Photo Album is a place for "Shop Shots" as well as pictures and descriptions of projects that we are working on. Show off your Shops, Machines, and your Projects!

Moderator: Harold_V

ftgmx

FTGMX Lathe Repair/Re-paint project

Post by ftgmx »

Ok, a few weeks ago I decided I was going to repaint my old Craftsman/Atlas lathe. Simple enough :-/ well, after a bit of repair it was. So here goes with a little photo journal of the project.

Here is the lathe shortly after I purchased it. The motor was running in the reverse direction, and I didn't want to invest any more monet till I learned if I was going to really be able to use the lathe, so I made a mounting plate for the motor, and a support to spin the motor 180 degrees, and allow it to turn in the direction I wanted.

So the dis assembly begins

Hmmm, that seems odd...
Ya that shim isn't in the proper place.
The "Babbit" need a little scraping, but it cleaned up nicely!

Now for broken parts. I believe the machine was dropped at some point. Even the side gear cover was previously welded, and the motor mount was already fixed

Thank You fellow board member chipmaker for the skills and the Oxy Acetylene help!Image

Another break. I actually repaired this one.

The after of both

The paint and reassembly.
ImageImage

Finished

There are more pics on my photobucket page, if interested. Once again, Thanks "Chipmaker" for the help!

Shawn
Make chips, clean...Repeat.
dly31

Re: FTGMX Lathe Repair/Re-paint project

Post by dly31 »

That's a good job of both repair and refinishing! That brazing looks really good. I like brazing and used to be pretty good at it, brazed a lot of old Harley and Indian gas and oil tanks.
Don Young