Lathe chuck shield project

The Photo Album is a place for "Shop Shots" as well as pictures and descriptions of projects that we are working on. Show off your Shops, Machines, and your Projects!

Moderator: Harold_V

ksierens

Lathe chuck shield project

Post by ksierens »

Just finished a shield for my Craftsman 101.21200 (mk2) lathe and wanted to share. It was the first time I bent any Plexiglas, but it was really easy. Just made a form out of 3 2x8's and heated it up to 350° for about 5 minutes. I also bent up a smaller one for a shield on my mill. I made the bracket so it resembled the carriage stop, and made it so that the shield could be removed by just pulling out the pin. I also realized that I could use it as an indicator mount, so I added a 1/4"x20 threaded hole on the top of the bracket. The smaller shield can also be clamped to the lathe shield to extend the coverage. When I was figuring out what size to make it, I made it so it would also fit around the spindle of my Benchmaster mill, but when I added the side piece, I realize it would not work on the mill. Well I guess that means I will have another project to make one for the mill too!

ken572

Re: Lathe chuck shield project

Post by ken572 »

ksierens, :D

Very nice design, and GREAT workmanship, :wink:

The only thing I would suggest would be the use

of Polycarbonate instead of Plexiglass

Strictly for Safety. :D

Ken. :)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
ksierens

Post by ksierens »

Thanks Ken, if I ever replace it I will use Lexan, but I thought I heard it does not bend as well. I also used super glue instead of the Weld-On you are supposed to use, but I did not want to spend the extra money.
ken572

Post by ken572 »

ksierens wrote:Thanks Ken, if I ever replace it I will use Lexan, but I thought I heard it does not bend as well. I also used super glue instead of the Weld-On you are supposed to use, but I did not want to spend the extra money.
ksierens,

I think you will find very little difference between them,
other then the Lexan's memory seams to go away faster
as it cools.

Ken. :)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.