Meuser L 00 M lathe, cleanup and checkup

The Photo Album is a place for "Shop Shots" as well as pictures and descriptions of projects that we are working on. Show off your Shops, Machines, and your Projects!

Moderator: Harold_V

spinningwheels

Meuser L 00 M lathe, cleanup and checkup

Post by spinningwheels »

Just got this meuser lathe.
Coverd in a thick layer of grease.
It seems to be in exelent condition, not a single scratch on the bed, and zero play on the supports.
Has not been jused for the last ten years.
Think that this oldy is worth the effort, to make it as new again.
wil try to take a lot of pics about the progress
Last edited by spinningwheels on Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
ken572

Re: Meuser L 00 M lathe

Post by ken572 »

spinningwheels, :D

These might be of some help.
Meuser L 00 M Lathe.doc
(21.5 KiB) Downloaded 388 times
Ken. :)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
warmstrong1955

Re: Meuser L 00 M lathe

Post by warmstrong1955 »

I think we need to name a search engine 'Ken'.

:D

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
spinningwheels

Re: Meuser L 00 M lathe, cleanup and checkup

Post by spinningwheels »

Thanks Ken, some nice info there

Took some more pics today,
Old grease, can not just wipe it of , need to use a scraper
Almost a shame the condition it is in, But becouse it looked like this the price was great , around 1300 usd.
After some scraping an a lot of petrol to clean the charts, it starts to look a bit better, still a lot more work to do before it can get a new paint job.
Took the side cover off, Gears are perfect.
Closeup of the bed, there is a minor ding but that is all have seen worse.
Looking at the oil level glass, I had the idea that there was enough oil, but the botom 3 handles where realy hard to shift.
Drained the oil, less than half a litre was in, the oil level glass was dirty from the inside so it just looked like there was oil.
So opend up the front cover.
Expecting to find bad gears or other major problems, gears looks great, but due the lack of oil it is so hard to shift.
Hope that I can get it sliding smooth again, no damage to see exept on the axles there are marks from plyers or so but not on a location where it will give problems,
Weekend now, hope to find some time Monday to give it a few more hours.

Remco
ken572

Post by ken572 »

Remco, You are very wellcome.

Those are way popular all over Europe with a
heavy duty price tag. Super nice machines. :wink:
Up there in the Monarch Class.
If I find anything else I will post it.
Very nice pictures as well. 8)

Thanks.

Ken. :)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

spinningwheels wrote:After some scraping an a lot of petrol to clean the charts,
Boy, I'd sure like to see you not use petrol. There are many solvents that don't offer the same risks of fire. (easy combustion)

If you're doing this cleaning in your basement, or a tightly closed room, please give this some thought. For that matter, give it some thought regardless of circumstances. Cleaning with petrol is simply too dangerous.

On a positive note, it sure is cleaning up nicely. :wink:

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
spinningwheels

Post by spinningwheels »

First of all , i do not want to offend anyone , it is just my opion.
Maby it is so that In the USA in general the safty thing is way over the top.
overhere we think a bit more light over it.
do you know that you can just put your cigarette out in petrol, nothing will happen.
I did this more than once, just to prove that it can be done.
But OT, had some more hours in cleaning and scraping, it already feels like it wil take forever.
Used a wire wheel on the angle grinder, it cleans up rather well but it seems to transfer all the dirt to your face,
next is to open the top transfer case and check the adjustment of the bearings and the brake
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Well..... in a word.... foolish.
I have a friend, who was cleaning auto parts in a drain pan with petrol. He doesn't know where the spark came from and what set it off, a total mystery, just know that the fumes ignited in a big ball of fire.....with him in the middle of it.
Several years of skin grafts on his face, neck, hands and arms.

Unpleasant. Very unpleasant.

Foolish. Very foolish, when there are alternatives that are easily available.
Petrol.... liquid, yes, you can put a cigarette out in it. The fumes.....can kill ya.

Buy some safety solvent.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

spinningwheels wrote:First of all , i do not want to offend anyone , it is just my opion.
Maby it is so that In the USA in general the safty thing is way over the top.
do you know that you can just put your cigarette out in petrol, nothing will happen.
Of course nothing will happen. Petrol does not burn. However, a mixture of oxygen (found in the air we breath) and petrol fumes will burn, and it does so violently. To add to the problem, the fumes are heavier than air, so they build a pathway to the source. Ignition can take place tens of feet away from the source, and commonly does. It's clearly not worth the risk, especially when there are many easily obtainable solvents that offer a much lower risk. I offer you, as an example, mineral spirits (paint thinner). That was, and is, my point. Take it for what it's worth.
overhere we think a bit more light over it.
That's as if you're suggesting that people in Holland can't be burned. Otherwise, what good reason would they have to think "a bit more light over it"?

I'm of the opinion that you can't speak for the masses. Those who are well informed would not share your philosophy, which is extremely careless. I expect that those who have experienced a fire as the result of using petrol for cleaning may see things differently.

I have an obligation, as a moderator of this board, to refute any information that offers risk of harm to readers who may not understand.

DO NOT USE GASOLINE (petrol) AS A CLEANING SOLVENT. Not unless, that is, you have a death wish.

One can lead a horse to water, but----

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
spinningwheels

Post by spinningwheels »

After Two day´s , lots of penetrating oil and carefull tapping with a nylon hammer I got the binding gear leaver sliding again.
Now I have to find the correct setting of the handles, and the position of the gear leavers again.
I did not vind any markings on the rolls to get them in the right position.
There are combined 50 diferent settings possible and onlye one it the right one.

Took the top cover off to see if the brake needs any adjusting, and becouse I,m just want to see how it looks.

Removable part of the bed out, easy for cleaning, and now easy to take out if I need.
Over the bed it´s onlye 14,5 inch turning diameter, with the bedgap removed 21 inch,

On the cross slide there is the dial with the gegrees on it to set the compound rest on a angle .
On the pics it is realy good to read but in real it is hard to see, any way to make this clear again?
I am thinking spray paint, and when dry sand with verry fine grid so that just the paint in the grooves remains,

Remco

Frend just came and he brought me a small gift.
a 5KW frequency controll unit.
So i can have stepless control over the spindle speed.
The meuser has a max of 1250 rpm in forward , and 1600 in reverse.
So the bearings can handle a bit more than 1250, can set the max frequency at something like 75 or 80 HZ, should not be a problem for the motor.
Gives me a bit more speed on smaler work´s
Do I realy need it, maby not but it looks cool.
dly31

Post by dly31 »

I have not used it but I think there is colored wax intended for filling in scale markings and such. It might be a bit easier than using paint.
Don Young