Quick change tool post nut

The Photo Album is a place for "Shop Shots" as well as pictures and descriptions of projects that we are working on. Show off your Shops, Machines, and your Projects!

Moderator: Harold_V

schor

Quick change tool post nut

Post by schor »

Made a new nut for my quick change tool post.

Steve
Check out http://www.youtube.com/MyShopNotes on YouTube.
oldvan

Re: Quick change tool post nut

Post by oldvan »

Excellent! Thanks for sharing!
Patio

Post by Patio »

Nice!
I have been thinking about making one of these myself.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
schor

Post by schor »

Thanks for the comments. I wonder why toolposts are not supplied with this type of nut.
Steve
Check out http://www.youtube.com/MyShopNotes on YouTube.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

schor wrote: I wonder why toolposts are not supplied with this type of nut.
Generally, the tool post is locked down square to the spindle axis and remains stationary.

You change tooling to adjust to the type of cut or angle needed. If you need a 45° chamfer you would drop on a tool ground to 45° rather that rotate the entire tool post.

That's part of what makes it "Quick Change".
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

I tried that, I really did, but I found I just couldn't leave it locked in place. I simply don't have the tool collection to always have the right lead angle (etc) mounted and ready to go. So I often need to angle the tool post to suit, particularly with insert tools. I also find that tool post rotation is easier to align ground bits for threading, particularly ID. So in my case, "quick change" is more about getting a variety of tools off and on, always on center, but in some cases requiring me to carefully align the tool post back square (parting and insert threading mainly). The rest of the time it usually sets visually square, but I don't bother squaring unless needed (and always assume out of square) since I'm likely to need to twist it before I next need it square. <shrug> I have found that just keeping a suitably sized box end hanging on the right side of the bed suits my needs just fine...
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

I should probably have said:

The general theory is to lock the tool post down square to the spindle axis and not rotate it between cuts.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!